Silicon Dielectric Grease - Smoother running, more responsive & less smokey TDI!!

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Hi guys, ive been a bit weary about this mod for ages, but after seeing almost 100 testimonials on Briskoda and TDICLUB i decided to give it a go.

Basically the mod (also called 'Cagemod' on TDIClub after the person who thought it up) is cleaning the contacts of the MAF (can be done by plugging in and unplugging a few times!) and then smearing some dielectric grease on the electrical connections.

As the MAF is very sensetive, the arcing caused by movements of the plug can make the reading vary considerably - couple this with a clattery diesel engine shaking it and youve got a lot of interference! The dielectric grease prevents the arcing of the connections and also repels any water from potentially corroding the contacts.

Ive just bitten the bullet and bought a tube - 56g for £6. I Slightly coated the female connectors, plugged/unplugged a few times, re-applied grease and then finally plugged in. The difference is remarkable! The car starts in a single engine revolution and is much more willing at low revs - absolutely no hesitation as i previously found. I always found my mates Ibiza FR's a lot smoother below 2.5k but now mine is smoother and quieter than that! Ive not really had it above 3k yet due to only a 10mile commute so will report back with more longer term findings!

So if any of you have excessive clatter, hesitation or just wanna give it a try, id like to hear your findings also! PS ive also seen threads of this working on 1.8T's altho ill test that on Bruces LCR at the next Sheffield meet :D

EDIT: Mini Guide can be found on Post Number 66 - Thanks RedCupraTDi

Related Threads and info:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=729585

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/fabia/silicone-grease-less-smoky-diesel-car/64617/

Edit: Another link with more testimonials

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=81288&page=4&highlight=MAF+CAGE

Last edited:

Deleted member 5241

Wouldn't you get the same result if you used contact cleaner, WD40 or Vaseline??

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Wouldn't you get the same result if you used contact cleaner, WD40 or Vaseline??

Indeed, contact cleaner would be good for the first stage, and ive seen evidence of people using vaseline etc. however the Silicone Grease has a higher dielectric constant and will not dry out.

Although im no true electrician, im simply passing on what i have researched in the last few days. For the sake of £6 i followed all the yanks recommendations :)

Wheres Muddyboots? Id have thought this techy thread would have lured him here by now! ;)

JBS Sales

Ed, do mine! :D yeah!

I think I will get some and try it on other connectors that need to read constantly changing information... like the MAF

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

kempos

Sep 26, 2002
hull
Visit site
silicon grease is probably the best option to use for cleaning the contacts and expelling water. as it is used for some said purposes in the aircraft industry. we use it in spray can form so try to get that if it would be easier, i have not had a go at it on my maf yet but may well do now.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Before people go out buying it, i know this works for me and many others but theres no guarantees - my car is getting on for 2.5 years and 60k, but new/newer cars may not see any gains as such, however it will be preventative.

I think Halfrauds will stock it but i got mine from www.coolcpu.co.uk (Computer modders use it to help connections on motherboards and stop condensation from peltier coolers, if it helps on stuff that sensitive, it works on cars!)

Saw this on Ebay also:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Permatex-Bulb...ryZ72203QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If anyone heads to the Sheffield meet ill be happy to goop peoples mafs also! It might be handy if people do buy these to keep them in there cars for fellow SCN'ers! :)

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Yes you can, however the huys on TDICLUB didnt recommend a spray application for some reason, i went for the gel stuff - i guess it doesnt run into places you dont want it?

ClosetBarry

White '14 Cupra 280 DSG
Oct 17, 2006
South Coast
Sorry to be a complete noob here but MAF?

I am guessing you are talking about the Air flow meter but conformation / correction would be great, pics of where it is in an altea would be cool if anyone can..

-CB

Eternal Rage

Scooby & Cordy Powered
Mar 22, 2005
Manchester
Got me sold on the idea too Ed. Might see you over the weekendm if not i may purchase some to test out. Mine is 5years old and 55k on the clock. Not as smooth as it should be and my MAF is loose(ish) so imagine it rattles around a fair bit...

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
How do you remove the connector? Does it just pull off? I tried wiggling mine but it didn't seem to want to come off - I don't want to pull it too hard in case I break it.

Hehe i had this problem mate - sounds strange but give it a sharp push IN, and then a sharp pull OUT. I do that and it comes out easily. If i just pull, it wont budge!

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
so you wipe it on the actual bit inside the MAF housing or just into the plug going on to the maf?

NO NOT INSIDE THE MAF!!! Just the plug connector, just put a small amount of gel in the female connections (this will be the connector you pull out), plug in/out about 10 times to clean the contacts (dont need to but i did). Then re-apply a little more gel and click in!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members