Boost gauge wiring with photos - advice

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
I've got an Auto gauge 27001SW3-7 boost gauge - which actually matches the white and red dials of the LC really well. As this is a 7 LED gauge, it comes with four wires and some crazy reverse engineered instructions.

I've figured out the 12v live and the ground as per the instructions - simple enough and that's managed to get the needle to light up (see pic below)

However, I'm a bit stumped as to where I should wire in the other 2 wires (yellow and orange) to make the numbers and the dial light up?? See picture below - looks like they go in a circuit via some resistors or fuses??

Anyone who can read the electrical diagram below or could throw any ideas my way (using the photos of the wires below as a guide) would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Raf

How I've wired the Live and earth:

1) Live
2) Earth
3) N/A

IMG_3822v2.jpg

The quite unclear wiring instructions that came with the gauge…
Boostwiring001.jpg

Picture of gauge - needle only lit up....
Boostwiring002.jpg

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
oh, sorry, thought they all wired in the same way. Hope you find out cus i was looking at that gauge on ebay.

mc

Jan 15, 2006
Birmingham
hmmm nice diagram!

It looks like the yellow wire is a permanent live to the battery, and the purple is to a switched live so it illuminates when you put the headlights on.

as for the orange... I cant work that out sorry!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Got the same gauge! but in black with a smoked looks!
i just grouned the black and connect the ignition (with a fuse)., i just taped the others as it looks better when on full espically in the dark!

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
hmmm nice diagram!

It looks like the yellow wire is a permanent live to the battery, and the purple is to a switched live so it illuminates when you put the headlights on.

as for the orange... I cant work that out sorry!

Thanks dude - purple and black wired in already.... this makes the needle light up when ignition is on - so guess this is wired into ignition live - number 1 on my picture.

Any idea which wire on my picture the yellow could go into?

Raf

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
Got the same gauge! but in black with a smoked looks!
i just grouned the black and connect the ignition (with a fuse)., i just taped the others as it looks better when on full espically in the dark!

You must have a different guage - this is 7 LED colour - your smoked version has 3 wires - and it only needs 2 wires to light everythign up - plus doesn't have a push knob to cycle through the LEDs. Looks good in the dark - but cant see it during the day and doesn't match the standard cupra dials. This is a different dial.

Raf

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
hiya.. looks to me that purple is switched live, yellow is permanent live and orange goes to something like the dashlight potentiometer (what you use to make the dash light dim).

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
My gauge has 3 wires!

ABCD0003.jpg
[/IMG]

That's what I said in my post - your gauge has three wires - mine has 4. :funk: I had your gauge fitted in mine up until last week. Wasn't happy with it as I couldn't see it during the day. [:@] Your gauge only needs two wires to make it fully light up. Anyway... back to the topic at hand......

I'll try the yellow to the far left wire on the bottom row of my loom and see how it goes. - as PER THE BELOW PIC. This sound right to everyone?

Raf

switchedlive.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
Righto - got round to doing this today - connected the yellow to the loom by attaching it to the bottom right wire as mentioned in in previous post - and no joy :( - just made the gauge buzz quite loudly - but no lights on the dial.... then connected it into the same one as the purple wire and nothing at all...

Any idea where the orange could go - I might be on the right track with the buzzing, but now need to connect the orange..... :confused: or is it as probee mentioned - it's just for the dimming function which wouldn't surprise me. Anyone know which is the permanent live on the loom?

I don't want to get too do to much trial and error in case I start blowing fuses.... :cry:

Raf

Last edited:

mc

Jan 15, 2006
Birmingham
Does the gauge actually show boost?

Sorry but my car is over 4000 miles away right now as I'm working in the States!

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
Yip - boosts fine, needle lights up (see pics and post at the top of the thread) - just the damn dials don't light and I know it's something to do with the yellow wire.... (as they're LEDs) MC - do you have the smae gauge?

Raf

mc

Jan 15, 2006
Birmingham
I don't have a gauge but am thinking of getting this one!

Have you replaced some of the wires going into your connector? I'd have thought you needed to splice in to the existing wiring? without knowing what wires are on that connector its a bit difficult sorry...

Chris_W

Those instructions look aweful! But if it was me reading them I think it's this:

Black: Earth Point
Yellow: Permanent Live
Orange: Ignition/Switched Live
Purple: Your choice here, either Illumination Live, or put it to the same as the Orange wire

Hope that helps

Chris

Koomorph

Oct 31, 2005
S London
Those instructions look aweful! But if it was me reading them I think it's this:

Black: Earth Point
Yellow: Permanent Live
Orange: Ignition/Switched Live
Purple: Your choice here, either Illumination Live, or put it to the same as the Orange wire

Hope that helps

Chris

Thanks Chris - I currently have the black at earth and purple going to the switched live. This lights up the needle but not the dials. I'm a bit puzzled as to which is the permanent live on the loom.... any idea? Thought it may be the far left on the bottom row - but seems not to be... Maybe Is should splice the purple into this one and the yellow into where the purple is currently....

Raf

(luckily I'm not cutting my loom wires up by doing this - just inerting into the end points of the loom to test)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members