1.8T Leon (AUQ)

Dec 29, 2023
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum posting stuff haha. I am really stumped about my motor. ( ill try cut long story short)

I've only had the car for a couple of weeks so I don't really know the history on this car but from what I do know is the previous owner hit a deer and it wiped out half the front bumper (drivers side) It doesn't appear to have damaged anything but I'm sceptical about the intercooler as it's not boosting as I'd expect.

The car was working relatively OK for a week and then last Friday I tried to start the car to head off to work in the morning and it wouldn't fire, plugged a code reader into it and came up saying P0322, googled it and says Cam/crankshaft position sensor, so I went for the crank sensor first as the rev needles weren't moving at all when trying to crank over. Changed that sensor then it fired into life, happy days.

Drove it down the road and then it felt like the car wanted to stall and stop dead in the road when hitting 3k rpm and the EPC light came up, then the rev needle was being very odd etc and reving high on idle so code read it again and it said the same code, just went out today and bought a Cam sensor and replaced that, fired into life and happy days again, let it warm up gave it some revs and then boom light back on and same code 🙄😢

I'm kinda at a loss now lol, I may be just being a bit blind to it and maybe missing something very small but it's starting to do my head in a little bit 🙄😕

Any help is much appreciated

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I'm clutching at straws here, especially as you've dealt with the thrown codes, but possibly coil packs could do with a replacement? They would normally throw up a code, but the car will be very unhappy if ones on its way out. It can sound like a tractor.

Dec 29, 2023
You know what mate I just pulled coils 1 and 2 (looking at the engine left being 1) and they are both covered in oil....looks to be the inner rocker cover gasket so maybe that is actually what's messing about with it...After all oil and electricity aren't the best of pals haha

Dec 29, 2023
Don't suppose PCM means anything to anyone? A friend of mine is adamant my issues are related to PCM but I can't really say I've heard of it before

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I'm not familiar with that, but our in house pros may be able to shed some light.
As for the oil on the contacts, it's gonna need some attention. Welcome to the mk1 Leon!

Reactions: DR-Smith
Dec 29, 2023
I'm wondering whether this is the culprit

Attachments

• 20231229_195708.jpg
    20231229_195708.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 42
Dec 29, 2023
On a side note, the previous owner has put an aftermarket air filter on but the crank breaker hose is just laying about in the engine bay, I'm not an expert but I'm assuming that should be plumbed in somewhere to create a suction 🤔

paradyne

May 30, 2004
UK, Bucks
Sorry to hear of your troubles. My AUQ is stock so if you need any pictures fore reference then le me know.
I wonder if the PCM confusion is around the ECM (ECU) or PCV ?
You mention the crank breather hose so perhaps it is the PCV system?

Dec 29, 2023
Ah regarding the Crank breather I have actually just worked out it is just the SAI haha!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to fire up the air compressor and blow out all the oil that's lurking around my spark plugs, I've just ordered a new rocker cover gasket too so once it's all cleaned up I'll give it a whirl again and see if anything changes.

If you could provide any pics buddy that would be much appreciated, the last tike I had a 1.8T it was a few years back now lol

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
That's a sound plan. That oil needs shifting & then you can have a fresh start.
You're not alone for sure; oil, air, water, coolant, we've all had the leaks. A pain in the arse, but it always seems worth it in the end when it performs as it should.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Ah regarding the Crank breather I have actually just worked out it is just the SAI haha!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to fire up the air compressor and blow out all the oil that's lurking around my spark plugs, I've just ordered a new rocker cover gasket too so once it's all cleaned up I'll give it a whirl again and see if anything changes.

If you could provide any pics buddy that would be much appreciated, the last tike I had a 1.8T it was a few years back now lol
Yes could be the spark plug gasket. Comes in the same set as the rocker cover so you can do both at the same time

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.