Engine Emission Light - VAG COM Results?

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
Hi guys/gals.

I have an engine emmissions light fixed on atm. Has been for a short while now. I havent noticed much differfence in perfomance. I've had the car since Feburary.

Leon Mk1 TDI Cupra

From the posts of the boards I got myself a VAG COM kit off ebay for £12 lol and here is the fault diagnostic I got returned.

Chassis Type: 1M - Seat Leon
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,22,35,46,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 019 KG
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 5342
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 06402
VSSZZZ1MZ4R057621 SEZ7Z0C2257823
1 Fault Found:
17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12) Electrical Fault
P0673 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thought guys? I've got a 12 months warranty on the car, would this be covered? How serious is it.....

Thanks In Advance

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
Just spoke to a mate who owns a Golf Mk4 150 TDI

He says that in short it would just be a little rough starting, that the cylinder would not warm up properly. Which to be fair, it has been.

He thinks it could also be possibly a one off ECU fault that hasn't cleared?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Good man, see VAG-COM to the rescue - might be better if you bought a reg'd copy though (development for that stuff is not free!).

Also I could not leave only you posting on your own thread!

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
Registred copy? I take it I've bought a pirate copy then?

Hi Guys

Digging up an old thread here. I've had an auto-electrician look at my car since changing the glowplugs has not cleared the fault. He's not entirely sure but he believes the fault is with the control unit for the glow plugs.

Does this make sense to anyone having changed all the glowplugs allready and still getting the original error.

I'm looking at £160 for new glowplugs, new control unit and labour. I can't get any guarantee that this will clear the error it seems and they are not that confident.

Thoughts?

I'm willing to pay it if it needs to be done.

J0N

Defected!
holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Just a thought, but you did clear the error when you installed the new glowplugs didn't you? The error code stays in the memory until cleared, not until the fault is rectified. Plus the wiring harness might be faulty npt the glowplug.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
change the harness bridge
reading in the tdi thread you'll see this come up quite a few times.

change glow plugs and abetting that 3-6 months later same fault.
change the harness and never seen again.

had this and pattern was as described by me, you and many others. i was advised do plugs then harness if fault comes back.

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
Sorry to keep flogging a dead horse here. This is taking a long to time for me to sort out.

I had the local garage have a look at my car for the wiring harness. He wasn't to sure how far back hte wiring loom went from the glow plugs to wherever they wen't.

Does anyone have an idea how much this will cost me to replace the wiring harness? What it is exactly and where it does? More importantly where can I purchase one from?

Would I be better off having a Seat Dealer do this? Bearing in mind I hate main dealers with a passion.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Last edited:

mikeholroyd

I had the same fault code on my Octavia TDI, except mine showed faults on two cylinders. No issues with cold starting, and the engine management light didn't come on. Found the fault codes purely randomly during a scan for something else.
Changed the glow plugs (£11 each from main dealer), cleared codes with VAGCOM, and no more problems since.

I would definately recommend putting a full set of glowplugs in first (takes about 20 minutes, if that), before going to the expense of wiring harness. Also have a look at the glowplug control relay. This has 4 separate circuits in it, one for each glowplug, so it is feasible that the relay could have just one circuit down. Costs about £45 from main dealer, and a 10 minute job to fit.

No idea where you've got the £160 figure from...........:confused:

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members