PCV removal - can this be done? YES! removed + catch tank fitted

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Yeah thats what I thinking of doing. The pipes cost silly money at the dealer... so I'm think 19mm silicon and a catch can.

Looks simple enough to do - just want to make sure that it wont cause issues? Plus I can't see why I need two pipes for the break booster as per the OP poster on the linked thread. If ones split surely that means its pointless or not working correctly.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Not really clued up on the breathers on these engines, never really looked into them so someone may be able to help you more than me :) Removal and install is simple, unsure on any problems caused tho.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Found a couple of threads about this on the UKMKIV's forum but none on here so far. Same engine so I think I'll give it a go if no one points out that its well dodgy. Cheers mate.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The guy on uk-mkivs obviously knew what he was doin and has made a really good job of it!
Follow his advice and see what the out-come is. I have a catch tank and have blanked off the oil breather system on my TDI - it cost about £75 for all the pipes, tank and connectors and looks really well in blue. I bought all the bits from ebay (all the silicone from a seller called mrsilicone).

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I,ve got a BSH catch tank on my K1 Jase
nice but a little pricey for me at the moment. Going to get on off eBay for around £30. Just spent £95 quid on pipes for my FMIC and have got to buy 4 tyres as soon as its back on the road.

The guy on uk-mkivs obviously knew what he was doin and has made a really good job of it!
Follow his advice and see what the out-come is. I have a catch tank and have blanked off the oil breather system on my TDI - it cost about £75 for all the pipes, tank and connectors and looks really well in blue. I bought all the bits from ebay (all the silicone from a seller called mrsilicone).
Sod it... I'm doing this mod! Due to the above I'm going to use STD oil breather pipe and get silicon in the new year. My local auto spares place charges £3 a meter for standard pipe.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I wouldn't get rid of your PCV system.

This gives you a vaccum to help keep the piston rings in place.
Robdon had leaking piston on a 36,000 mile car which he thinks is due to removing the PCV system

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I wouldn't get rid of your PCV system.

This gives you a vaccum to help keep the piston rings in place.
Robdon had leaking piston on a 36,000 mile car which he thinks is due to removing the PCV system

That's useful info... bl00dy car... nothing is ever simple. I thought I'd cracked it when I located a Authbahn silicon y-pipe on eBay.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Thats wierd i would have thought that the crankcase breather system was only there to re-cycle the excess breather gases produced from the combustion cycle. I also would have thought that venting these gases out and into a seperate catch tank would work 100% as long as the pressure was still maintained.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Thats wierd i would have thought that the crankcase breather system was only there to re-cycle the excess breather gases produced from the combustion cycle. I also would have thought that venting these gases out and into a seperate catch tank would work 100% as long as the pressure was still maintained.
But removing the PCV system doesn't allow this system to be pressurized unless you T this into the induction, which most people don't do

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
I read an artical on Wikki about PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation); I know Wikki can be a bit dodgy but it does seem like a decent explination.

It is there to assist in crankcase pressure escape - but as long you vent it back into the TIP when the engine is under load it will be fine. The vac to the inlet manifold opens the valve fully to allow free flow under load. So removing it and going straight to the catch tank and then to the TIP should be fine.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
It's fine to remove the PCV system and use a catch can, I blamed the Saikou Michi cans because they are too densly baffled and filtered, causing excess pressure.

Thanks for posting mate, was planning on sending you a PM. I'd seen you were pro the modification in a thread on the ibiza section. The catch tank I've ordered off eBay is not baffled (would post the eBay link but cant get to it whilst at work).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.