Headlight Condensation

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
I noticed a little bit on my car this morning, why do people get their lights replaced over this as I only see it as a minor annoyance its not affecting the car in anyway is it? Or does it damage the electrics in the light over time?

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Makes the car look cheap and tacky.. and i expect better from VAG.. unnaceptable. And SEATS attitude towards the problem is disgusting.

6 holes in the back of the light cover sorts it.

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
So its something you can fix yourself if it bothers you that much (it doesn't bother me that much, it was only a little bit on one light)

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
So its something you can fix yourself if it bothers you that much (it doesn't bother me that much, it was only a little bit on one light)

It will get steadily worse to be honest dude.
Wait till it gets bad then drill the headlight covers, then take the car for a 40m-1h drive with the headlights on, that should flush them out!

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire

Not the point though is it... i was in SEAT dealers a few months back, and there was a chap with the same problem on a brand new Leon FR.. and i overheard the conversation he was having with the service desk.. utterly disgusting the way they treat the problem. Taking photos to send back to head office etc..

There was water in his ****ing headlights on a brand new 18k car. I would have lost it right there and then and burned the dealership to the ground. :lol:

wedgie27

LIL_WDG
Jul 1, 2008
Worcester
IMO the majority of Stealers attitudes are an absolute disgrace. Had both headlights replaced on mine as they were so bad.

I said I was upset with their customer service attitude and said I would be using another dealership, and they were more than happy to lose me as a customer.........shocking!

lee_fr

Jul 25, 2009
Leeds
No problems with my headlights yet, but i do get the condensation in the rear lights (although one's cracked so i know about that one :p) 3 out of the 4 sections have it now, it looks pants!

Is there anything you can do about it or do you just have to put up with it and wait for some sunshine? I dont really fancy drilling holes into my rear lights!

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
No problems with my headlights yet, but i do get the condensation in the rear lights (although one's cracked so i know about that one :p) 3 out of the 4 sections have it now, it looks pants!

Is there anything you can do about it or do you just have to put up with it and wait for some sunshine? I dont really fancy drilling holes into my rear lights!

Try removing the rear covers, letting it dry out, then taping a silica gel pack to the back covers.

What a ****ing joke. :lol:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
To be fair to the dealer their hands are tied. SEAT have released information on the 'problem' and will only accept claims that are prior authorised by SEAT UK.

So we have to send photos off to them and they say yay or nay, simple as that. Headlamps arent sealed unit (cant be due to plastic lenses) so a difference in between internal and external temps causes condensation. Not saying its right, but when fitting a new lamp doesn't sort it what else do you do? Ford, Vauxhall and Peugeot to name three brands I know of all suffer the same the same issue, just nature of modern headlamp design.

I find a packet of silica gel placed in the bottom of the headlamp seems to sort it.

lee_fr

Jul 25, 2009
Leeds
Try removing the rear covers, letting it dry out, then taping a silica gel pack to the back covers.

What a ****ing joke. :lol:

Sound, i'll give that a go at some point. Gutted i chucked the box away for the pumps i bouught on Friday :doh:

CupraTurbo81

If you have access to an air compressor, take the bulbs out your headlamps and using tape to jam the nozzle of the compressor end open and leave it in there for 5 minutes and it will clear away any condensation. Best results use a tyre inflator on the compressor.

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
I had this problem REALLY badly on the passenger side headlight, and partially on all the other lights.

I managed to get the local stealer to agree to replace it, but them being really busy etc. it still hasn't been arranged.

I solved the problem by taking the covers off them, turning the lights on and using a hair drier (gave it frequent breaks to avoid warping) until completely dry. I then covered the seals on each headlight cover with Vaseline, and it's managed to fix it.

I've bought some Silica Gel packets just in case (10 x 4g packs on eBay for £2), but currently they're completely clear!!

Dan_T

Jan 21, 2010
Derby
This is what mine looked like...
SDC10116.jpg

This was my solution...
SDC10115.jpg

all is sorted now no condensation at all :D

lee_fr

Jul 25, 2009
Leeds
Well i was just looking through my service history and it seems the last owner musy have had the headlight problem, found a receipt for the "replacement of 2 new headlights" but there was no price, so the dealer probably replaced them for free.

The reciept was from 3 years ago (i've had it less than a year) so maybe the replacements from SEAT are a bit better. The back ones still do my t*ts in though!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.