Fan control heaters not working

Ibiza2000

Apr 21, 2010
Birmingham
Right my fans aint working only no4 setting works which neally blows me out of the motor!

I was advised it maybe the fan control not working, is this the black cylinder like object at the back of my dash or is it a switch plug? Or a resistor? Has anyone got a guide on how to fit them?

Any advice or guides on access or fault finding on heater fans would be a massive help, thanks in advance all

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Climatronic or just dials?

Climatronic has a small electronic control unit mounted next to the fan. The Climatronic unit will give you some diagnostics if it detects a component fault.

The fan speed dial is an electrical switch, connected to a series resistor pack mounted underneath the blower. Your problem might be due to the switch contacts but is more likely to be the resistor pack. You can test the pack with a multimeter.

Ibiza2000

Apr 21, 2010
Birmingham
They are manual dial controls sorry, i dont know if its connected but my lights on where the dials are have gone off too, u say there underneath the dials but thats where my cubby hole is infront of the the gear stick, is it at the back? I have no idea wht the module looks like or what ill be testing, i have a multi meter just need to know what to test,

Is there any guides to access and or a diagram of the module and whats what on it?

Cheers

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Before we go any further, this is the Leon forum so I assume we're talking about a Leon here and not the Ibiza2000 that your forum ID might otherwise lead me to assume?

Manual dials means that the cabin air blower speed is controlled by a resistor pack attached to the bottom of the blower itself. The blower is on the offside, deep behind the dashboard and under a cover. It's covered in both of the Haynes Golf/Bora manuals (3727 or 4169) that are good for almost all Leon I and Toledo II maintenance.

A bundle of wires goes from the fan speed dial to the resistor pack. The resistor pack is just three resistors in series, and the switch connects power from the fan fuse (25), through the resistors to the fan motor. Setting 4 (full speed) bypasses the resistor pack and connects the motor to power directly, hence it is a good bet that the resistor pack or the wiring or connectors to it are out of order.

You could start by metering the resistance between the wires that connect to the switch contacts.

ASCII-art follows:

Code:
	 Fuse 25
	   |
	   o	Fan Speed Switch
	   |
      /	 /  \  \
     /	|    |	\
    /   |    |   \
   /    |    |    \
   |    |    |    |
|----R1---R2---R3--   Resistor Pack
|
|
Blower

The resistor pack has an overheating fuse built into it. If this has blown you need to look at the fan motor and see why it might be getting too hot.

The heater control dials are lit by a bulb or an LED mounted behind the fan speed knob. It's apparently quite difficult to extract, needing pliers padded with a cloth or something similar. If you have a bulb in there you can replace it but it is well buried and will need needle-nose pliers (and a bit of care) or a tubular bulb extractor

Ibiza2000

Apr 21, 2010
Birmingham
Yeah mate it is for a leon lol i used to own a ibiza when i first signed up lol its a leon 03 plate tdi

That info looks handy now just locatin the module to have a look at it but uv explained it well for me, cuz im lazy, if any ones got a guide to access to te heater module mentioned above thatd b a massive help as i aint got a leon haynes or similar

Ibiza2000

Apr 21, 2010
Birmingham
Bringin up an old issue of mine again I have now brought the resistor but having a little trouble locating it, has anyone changed manual heater dial resistor packs before ? Where are there exact locations?

Ibiza2000

Apr 21, 2010
Birmingham
I feared that would need to happen! Lol any precautions I should take when taking the glove box off? My little kick panel is all damaged and cracked from the previous owner, would it be worth replacing or are they quiet expensive? - just a thought while the glove box is off...

Ibiza2000

Apr 21, 2010
Birmingham
Right gonna sound thick as fcuk but anyone got a diagram or link or can explain to me how to remove my glove box plz? I have the one where I can turn airbags on and off

reflexuk

Future member
Jul 16, 2008
Nr Chesterfield Derbyshire
Just get your torx bits out and start unscrewing, there are quite a number to undo. Just keep tugging and looking you will find them, there are no secrets. You can get it lying in the footwell without disconnecting the airbag switch.

Grow a pair and get in there

Ibiza2000

Apr 21, 2010
Birmingham
Ok why not ill have a blast is the key barrel to the airbags not part of the gloove box then? I undone 4 and it was stiff as shizzel and under the glove box is all sealed off for some reason, :s eager to get my resistor on now :)

Ibiza2000

Apr 21, 2010
Birmingham
Ok iv had a good blast I have 6 screws in total and am half a glove box hangin off..... Any idea how to get the top left end of the glove box free? There are no apparent screws there :(

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
yeah open the door and there is a cover the same as the fuse lid on the opposite side of the dash, pull that off and remove the ones you need too, you don't need to remove them all.

Ibiza2000

Apr 21, 2010
Birmingham
Good man id found it just after I posted, however look at the pics, any suggestions? Firstly the connector clip is jammed and won't budge not matter what I do and also one wire is broke, :/ how can I get the clip of first of all and secondly whats best to do with the broken wire?
22aceacc.jpg

7ec071fe.jpg

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
That is or has been very wet, possibly from a leaking pollen filter. If the leak isn't fixed already, fix it or you'll just have the same trouble all over again.

The burned-out yellow wire is the source of the problem, of course. Here's the diagram of the wiring to the fan motor and resistor pack.

Fanspeedswitch.jpg

The yellow wire being burned out means that the resistor pack is disconnected. You will have to open the plug or get the connector out and remake the connection.

To get the old resistor pack off you need to drill through the rivets next to the tubular component (which is the heat-sensitive fuse). Mount the new pack with self-tappers through the rivet holes.

There will be locking clips that need to be released - from looking a the photos, I'd guess it's those tags that go through the "handles" of the connector plug. If it's still stuck, use a penetrating oil spray such as WD-40.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.