My Toledo V5 20V - LOUD NOISES

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Hi all,

I think it's about time I did one of these now I'm starting to progress with it a bit more, adding coilovers last year, some nice little OEM+ tweeks and new wheels coming later this week.

Right, the beginning:
I had been looking for either a 1.8t sport or a v5 20v, after a lot of hunting about a 2003 V5 20v popped up for sale locally, it was tidy, low mileage and in good condition bar not being washed much. I picked the car up in 2010, one previous owner (an elderly couple) and only 44k on the clock.

Here she is after a few days of ownership and a damn good clean and a lick of paint on the callipers.
DSC01368-1.jpg

sat a bit high, but never mind.

DSC01369-1.jpg

DSC01379.jpg

Last edited:

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
The car stayed in standard form for a year or so before I started fettling. Starting with a bonnet bra. Might not to be most peoples taste but I'm not overly fussed.

16102010099.jpg

16102010098.jpg

Next up came the silver centre console to lift the interior a bit. My brother liked it enough for me to do his Astra console and grille trims for him :)
DSC01377-1.jpg

Then I had the bright idea of chasing after a creak from the dashboard resulting in this: but still didn’t get to the bottom of it.
13102010097.jpg

Last edited:

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Again progress stopped due to work and other commitments, but I eventually found the time to add LED footwell lights wired into the interior light.
temporary-1.jpg

_DSC1572.jpg

Quite pleased with the outcome 

After around a year of ownership I was making progress, albeit slowly. Then came coilovers :D
_DSC0247.jpg

_DSC0250.jpg

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
The nose was sat quite high still due to the driveshaft getting intimate with the ARB, adjustable droplinks added and it came down a bit but I really need a new ARB to get down to where I want it.

Ohhh that’s close!!!
WP_000140.jpg

Then came the incident with the Mondeo driver running me off the road. He didn’t bother looking pulling out of a junction and I ended up mounting the pavement knocking the tracking waaay out and causing this:
Dang :(
WP_000156.jpg

Beaten back into shape:
WP_000157.jpg

And welded up by Adam Bolus (Thanks again mate)
In the same weekend I had the damaged centre box removed and replaced with a new pipe, sounds much better and a little less grief from speedbumps!

Last edited:

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I saw Poliq’s thread about the quad rear lights and liked what I saw so set to work with the soldering iron:
WP_000176.jpg

WP_000175.jpg

And added LED plate lights too
_DSC1561.jpg

A quick pic before setting off for UD
WP_000162.jpg

And finally a picture of the monkey in his cave:
_DSC9031.jpg

Just waiting on new wheels now :D

There's probably quite a bit I've missed but I'll be back to update as I go along :D

Matt

Last edited:

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Thanks Arun. There's not much to choose between them. :)

My wheels arrived yesterday so I spent last night cleaning and waxing them ready for fitting :)

As arrived

Front - 18", et35, 8J
temporary-6.jpg

Rear - 18", et35, 9J
temporary-1-1.jpg

Slight stretch on the rear
temporary-2-1.jpg

That's one on
temporary-3-1.jpg

And finished
temporary-4-1.jpg

temporary-5-1.jpg

Not to everyones taste but I think they suit the Toledo quite well :D

I'll get some better pics when the DSLR has charged up :)

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I need to swap the arb to go lower on the front gatman, which will happen in the next few weeks hopefully.

gdjohny: They are wired into the interior lights so come on when the doors open/unlock etc. The wiring runs down inside the a-pillar trim and through the dash to two LED strips mounted in each footwell :)
the wheels are Cades Tyrus btw :)

Last edited:

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Time for an update :D

I finally got a new arb and got it fitted, no more arb-driveshaft rubbing anymore :D

During with the subframe dropped and old arb removed.
temporary-5-2.jpg

Replacement undertray fitted.
temporary-6-1.jpg

Back on 4 wheels and washed
temporary-7.jpg

After a while of inner debate I decided to de-badge the rear, some like it and some hate it (I like it of course)
temporary-8.jpg

And I found this when I had the wheels off to clean and regrease the brake sliders.
temporary-10.jpg

soon covered up with some stonechip though :D

And how she sits at the moment, in desperate need of a clean but the wonderful British weather isn't playing ball :(
temporary-9.jpg

Matt

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I've been thinking about it, but it's finding a good one for the right money. Plus I'm not sure if I want to make it look like something it's not if you follow me :think:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.