110 TDi hesitation / misfire - help please

starbiscuit

Hello all,

I've had my mk1 Leon SX for about 7 years. 101000 miles, completely stock.
It's a 54 plate 110 TDi, regularly serviced, though more by independents than Seat.
It's an ASV engine, definitely not PD.

I've searched this forum, and some Golf ones, looking for my symptoms and couldn't find a match, so apologies if this is going over old ground again.

Recently it's developed an annoying problem.
Under light acceleration or overrun, it occasionally "misses" or hesitates, like it cuts out momentarily.
When braking downhill, off gas, it feels like it "shunts" a bit. Again, only occasionally.
On my 20-mile commute, mostly 60-70mph, some 30mph, it does this maybe two or three times.
Seems not to happen when cold, though not certainly.
Seems not to happen when flooring it, when the car seems to pull as strongly as ever.
No noise or smoke; MPG not suffering.

The past couple of times I have noticed that the battery warning light comes on during the "hesitation", suggesting the engine actually stopped? It only lasts a fraction of a second, but it is getting worse.

Car has had a service recently - oil and filters - which may coincide with me noticing the issue but it might equally be the onset of colder or wetter weather.

I've had VAG com on it and there are no engine fault codes logged.

Does anyone have any ideas what should I be looking at? Vacuum leaks? Clogged EGR? Failing injector? But why wouldn't any of that show up in VAG com? Maybe it does and I'm looking in the wrong place.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

Rob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
ASV is the TDI 110 engine, the best of the non-PD engines and generally very reliable.

One possibility for your hesitation is the MAF, the Mass Air Flow sensor that is just after the air filter. It may be starting to fail or the connector may be going intermittent.

However the battery warning light suggests something electrical. I would check the battery connections and the earth straps, both for the battery and those between the engine and the car body. The engine is isolated on rubber mounts, and has to have hefty electrical earth connections to pass the starter motor current and to keep the engine block at 0 volts.

The battery is earthed underneath the battery tray. The engine is earthed by a thick cable that's attached to the gearbox and also connects to the earth point under the battery tray.

Also worth checking the fuses on top of the battery to see if there is any corrosion there, and the alternator connections.

starbiscuit

I'll check the electrics in daylight tomorrow.

But I am certain that when it was first doing this cutting out that the battery light did not come on. It's only now the cutting out feels a bit more obvious that the warning light came on, maybe because the engine seems to be "stopping" for a little longer now than before.

Also, it seems not to be a complete electrical dropout because the wipers and radio keep going without a glitch.

MAF could be a good call. Should it show in VAG com? There's no fault code yet, but is there a test or measurement block I can run?
Or just remove it, blast with carb cleaner and put it back?

Bizarre that it just happens for less than a quarter second once every ten miles or so.

Thanks,

Rob.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
You replaced the alternator recently. It might be worth checking those connections, in case anything has worked loose, having been disturbed more recently than the rest of the electrics? Battery-top fuses are also worth checking, the leftmost one of them takes the full output from the alternator.

The slow deterioration of the MAF doesn't usually throw up a fault code. The sensor is quite delicate and cleaning is not always successful - isopropyl alcohol or electrical contact cleaner is best for this task.

Last edited:

starbiscuit

So I checked the battery connections, the alternator connections and the fuse box.

No sign of corrosion.

Didn't check the earth strap (no time), but the cranking isn't sluggish and it always starts very easily, so it must be reliably passing 70-odd amps.

I did look at the MAF.
It's not obviously dirty, but the plug was loose. Harness-side is OK, but MAF-side connector has the plastic retaining pip missing, so there isn't anything holding the two halves together mechanically.

I disconnected and reconnected it a few times to clean the contacts.

I also checked the vacuum pipes around the bulkhead solenoids. They are more squashy than I'd expect, but have nothing to compare with. Not obviously split.

The car missed again on the run to work, but only once and no battery light.

I'm pretty sure now that it only happens under moderate acceleration, probably not constant speed and fairly sure not under heavy acceleration.
On overrun it is more difficult to judge bucking/shunting from the judder due to the lightly bent discs I have:rolleyes:

Is there anything I could try in VAG com?

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The problem I had on my ASV engined leon was that at a constant load (60mph) the car had a feeling like it was holding back and then surging, gently. It also cut out abruptly very suddenly and then went again whilst the engine was aproaching full boost point. Felt like face against the windsrceen then wiplash all rolled together. It turned out to be faulty turbo pressure sensor. It was diagnosed using the force and replacement of the sensor to confirm assessment. I don't mean to be stepping on anybodies toes, just thought my experience with a asv engined car may confirm or eleminate a potential suspect.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
PuV, your experience trumps my guesswork as you've had a similar problem and found a cure. Do you know if there were any fault codes set - were you able to do a VAG-com reading or get a dealer to do a diagnostics check?

Starbiscuit, if no fault codes are set then we've only got guesswork to go on. The loose MAF connector bothers me - others have found benefits from packing the MAF connector with silicone grease, so the area is a sensitive one.

Has the connector been broken? Can you tell if it is a standard MAF - they are made by Bosch. Aftermarket replacement MAF's have been known to cause trouble, according to many people who've posted here.

EGR is another possibility - it is active in the conditions you're experiencing difficulty in. One possible way to test that is to just unplug the N18 valve's electrical connector. That will stop all EGR operation, leaving it closed all the time, but will also bring up the CEL. However if disabling the EGR cures your problem then at least you've found out where to attack.

It might be worth taking the boost hose off the EGR valve housing and looking down the inlet with a torch.

EGR in our diesels puts hot sooty exhaust gas into the oily inlet charge (oily from the crankcase vapours) which results in a build-up of carbonised sludge in the inlet manifold downstream of the EGR opening. You should be able to see it. If the car has done a lot of relatively slow miles, town traffic or stop-start commuting, then the inlet could be quite choked up.

Here's an article from the TDIclub site showing how bad it can get and what can be done to clean it.

The TDIclub has a lot of good advice including a large FAQ section. Here's the maintenance section, which talks about the EGR amongst other things. And here's another.

When I had EGR problems in my old Mk.2 Ibiza it resulted in limp mode when overtaking at motorway speeds - not the best time for a fault to raise it's head. That was with the TDI 90 engine, which has a wastegate turbo, so I could rule out sticky turbo vanes.

One long-term fix to the EGR problem is to turn down the amount of gas recirculated using VCDS. You need registered VCDS-Lite or full VCDS to do this.

Last edited:

starbiscuit

I really appreciate these suggestions, thankyou.

PuV, my symptoms are less violent than you describe - only happened under gentle acceleration so far. My effect is just like I turned the ignition off and instantly back on.
I think that's why the battery light comes on sometimes (because the engine stopped for a fraction of a second). Sometimes it stops for such a short time that the alternator output doesn't drop far enough to light the warning lamp. (My reasoning may be rubbish of course)

Muttley, I will check the EGR. That's a good tip to bypass it. I think I'm fine with clearing the CEL in VAG com.
However, apart from the momentary cut-out, I do not suffer loss of power, nor anything I would describe as limp-home. (No engine fault codes yet).

The MAF is the original Bosch one, but it looks like someone took the connector off cak-handedly and broke the little latching pip. As far as I can tell, that's all that's wrong - the connector plastic, contacts and little rubber gaskets all look OK, but lacking a strong mechanical join to hold the harness onto the MAF can't be good. I think I could fashion something with cable-ties to keep the parts together. I will take it out and inspect / clean it first.

Meanwhile I did read somewhere about a relay (109?) on VW 1.9TDi that powers(?) the ECU that could go intermittent and would (a) instantly stop the engine and (b) leave no fault code in the ECU.

But I don't know where to find it on mk1 Leon or if it is even relevant?
Should I expect fault codes in other control modules in VAG com if the ECU went off and back on like that?

Thanks again,

Rob.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
"Relay 109" is often used here to describe the "Terminal 30 voltage supply relay", because it is a type 109 relay, and usually the only type 109 on the relay panel.

The Terminal 30 supply voltage relay supplies power to the ECU and attached sensors when the car is powered up by turning the ignition switch. They've been reported on the forum before now as sometimes going flaky, either causing momentary misfires or failing completely and stopping the engine from running.

The relay plate is above the pedals behind the lower dash panels. There's a picture of one in this thread.

starbiscuit

OK, it looks like my "109 relay" is the newer (grey) one, which is supposed not to have the issues of the old (black) one. Apparently VW changed the design in 2001, so I could have avoided the dash dismantle if I did my homework first.
Also, if that relay had stopped momentarily, it would cause the ECU to lose power and restart, then the glow-plug lamp would have come on briefly and it does not.

At least I've only spent time so far.

Regarding the MAF; it definitely cuts-out less often and less severely after I cleaned the contacts and secured the connector. But it's still not quite right.

I can't find my security bit set at the moment, so I can't even clean the MAF, but I think I will end up changing it.

EGR doesn't look too bad: maybe because most of the mileage is 25 mins @ 60mph to work and back?
I think I'll try disconnecting it as suggested just for completeness.

Meanwhile; how could I test the map sensor please?

Thanks again.

starbiscuit

I drove to work this morning with MAF disconnected. Performance is noticeably dull, with engine torque well below demand, but can still do 80+. Engine possibly runs a bit smoother (maybe placebo)

It did look like it would cut out at one point - the battery light came on due to momentary low rpm, but recovered again immediately. Just pulling away from stationary, which isn't how the issue presented before, so may not be the same cause.

Interesting that this was the exact time the thermostat opened, because the temp gauge was "cold" before then climbed to "normal" immediately after.

This may be coincidence, but I think I noticed the same thing before (but certainly not every time it has hesitated).

Also, it didn't cut out for the rest of the drive, but that could be because the conservative ECU default (no MAF) strategy doesn't get into the same operating conditions.

For example, I didn't notice the faint turbo whistle that I usually have with certain rpm / load / throttle.

I'll leave the MAF disconnected for the drive home to see if it stutters this evening.
(Still didn't find my security bits to clean the MAF)

starbiscuit

Thanks Muttley, I had not seen elsaweb before. Bookmarked.

So this evening I reconnected the MAF and disconnected the electrical connector of N18 (to disable EGR).

Car ran OK on the way home (no CEL??) - one slight hesitation but not like the cut-out.
This was more like a delay in the turbo coming in (which might or might not be relevant).

Much better, anyway. Slightly lumpy, but I know from this morning that this gets better without the MAF (!)

Maybe EGR is sticky, because this is the first time in days that I have done the 25-mile trip without the cut-out and battery light coming on.
I don't know how they typically fail.
Is there a way to test (and fix) the EGR? Because it looked OK (torch in the boost pipe).

Trying to rationalise this, I'm thinking that the hesitation / almost stalling that I had been having must be intake-mixture-relayed. ECU would be under-fueling because of a dirty / dying MAF underestimating the airflow (therefore too lean?). And sticky EGR makes an already bad mix harder to burn, resulting in momentary stall (on beginning moderate demand). Revs drop, ECU compensates and recovers. Sometimes low enough rpm to light the battery light.

Plausible? Rubbish?

Maybe I'll try with MAF and N18 disconnected: that should run glitch-free, but will be a bit sluggish.

Then I guess I'm into cleaning or replacing the EGR and the MAF.

Thanks Muttley and PuV for all the help so far: great suggestions of things to try to narrow it down.

Is there anything else I could try?

Does any of this make sense?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
With my old TDI 110 I found that disconnecting the N18 connector resulted in improved pickup from low speeds. Making huge assumptions I guess that the lack of exhaust gas means extra oxygen in the inlet charge and better combustion. EGR is known to be a nasty kludge in any case - generating more smoke just to reduce the NOx, which is blamed (with very dubious justification) by Californians for smog so the whole world has to suffer for it.

Even though you reckon the inlet doesn't look too bad, the EGR could be sticking, but your symptoms suggest that the N18 valve may be misbehaving, overdoing the EGR occasionally and choking the engine.

I really detest EGR - it's a horrible idea and a bad compromise for NOx reduction. The theory is that the exhaust gas is inert, and injecting it into the inlet manifold reduces the oxygen content, making the combustion inefficient (creating smoke) and reducing the peak temperatures in the cylinder - which reduces the NOx production. NOx is produced by the nitrogen in the air burning - being oxidised - which only happens at high temperatures.

Thermodynamic efficiency improves with increasing cylinder temperatures, so this is reducing the motor's efficiency and creating more nasty particulates to satisfy a dubious environmental requirement imposed by America.

A far better answer would be water injection - a spray of water into the inlet manifold to reduce the charge temperature. This would increase efficiency (the inlet charge would be denser and contain more oxygen) but would need a water tank that has to be refilled. Californians can't be trusted to do that, it seems.

starbiscuit

Just been to pick my daughter up, so I had a chance to do 10 miles without N18 and MAF.

Wow:)

Smooth like it used to be; not lumpy; not hesitating or coughing or stalling.
Just sluggish on throttle (no MAF).

So I'll remove the whole MAF to clean it (can't find my 5-point security bits), but I expect it may be beyond saving. Euro Car Parts any good? (There's one up the road)

I'll also try removing and cleaning the EGR and actuator. I have a vacuum tool so I can test it operating.

Got the CEL now too, which was expected.

I can't afford to change MAF and EGR at the moment, but I might stretch to an N18 solenoid if the EGR seems OK.

Or can I live without it? (thinking MOT)

Thanks again.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
EGR, or rather NOx, is not tested at MOT, the only emissions test on diesels is a smoke test. Reducing or disabling the EGR will reduce the tendency to smoke.

I have used VCDS to turn the EGR volume down to minimum on my current car, which has the advantage that the CEL isn't activated, because the ECU is doing what it's been told to do.

Elsaweb should have a page or two on the EGR system.

http://elsaweb.spaghetticoder.org/doc/S.en-GB.1M-MM-MMAQM/21060179/2
http://elsaweb.spaghetticoder.org/doc/S.en-GB.1M-MM-MMAQM/21060180/2
http://elsaweb.spaghetticoder.org/doc/S.en-GB.1M-MM-MMAQM/21060177/2

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
This picture of a TDI 110 engine bay indicates the EGR valve as no. 18.

enginebay-vac-sol.jpg

I think that matches your description? The disc contains the diaphragm that moves the EGR valve itself.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise