Central locking/key fob issue

Sep 11, 2023
Hi all, new to the forums here and recently bought a Leon 1.6 16V SX (2005) which I’ve found is a brilliant car already, however I’ve got an issue with my central locking or key fob, I don’t know which one.

My fob flashes so I know it’s got power, I’ve also replaced the battery so I know it’s not that, changed the fuses, tried reprogramming the fob to the car which doesn’t do anything(unless I’m doing it wrong) - are there any other work around? Other forums seem to point to the door lock modules but I’m not sure it’s that as they still work when I manually unlock using the panel on the drivers door. Any suggestions are more than welcome!!

on a side note, I’m getting a grinding noise when in first and most noticeable when turning right slowly, cv boot is not split so might not be that, unless the joint has gone but has anyone experienced that specific issue with these?

thanks again

Leon

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
There are umpteen different reprogramming methods on the internet and only one will work for your car. Which one did you try?

Sep 11, 2023
823af9b8e8c5097e55b8c05e102ca380.jpg

This is one of them I’ve tried, another one also which you posted a few years ago didn’t work, I’ll give the one you said another go just to be sure but if not, what other methods would you suggest?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Try this one (keep your driver window down in case something goes wrong):

two keys: THE GOOD ONE; one that works and THE BAD ONE; one to be programmed .

- Open car and put the good one in the ignition slot and turn one click. Leave it there.
- get out of the car, close the door and put the bad one in the door lock.
- now turning the key lock the door and with the bad one still in the door press "UNLOCK" button once.
- now unlock the door manually turning the bad key.
- pull the bad key out the door lock, open the door, go inside and turn off the good key and pull it out.
- put the bad key in the ignition slot and turn one klick, then turn back and pull it out.
- go out of the car, close the door and put the good key in the door. Lock by turning the key then unlock by turning the key.
- take the good key out of the door and repeat the same with the bad key; put the bad key in the door, lock the door by turning the key and then unlock by turning the key.

Sep 11, 2023
Thank you, will try this when I’m back home!

My ‘bad key’ is the fob one and the ‘good key’ is just a manual one without the fob, does this matter or make any difference??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I think they just mean good as the one that already works and the bad as the one that needs reprogramming.

When I did mine the alarm went off at the end of the process when it worked, even though none of the guides mentioned it.

I know I tried three methods and only the third worked, so I'm hoping it's the one I posted.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
If the doors don't lock on the fob but do on the key it's usually the drivers door lock module to blame. But try the key anyway as you never know

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.