2.0TDi 140 and 170 turbo -Anwsered

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Ok this has been annoying the f'in hell out of me for about a week now. Information just wasnt there to be found but I have done it I think....

LINK to it HERE

What you are looking for is the Passat TDi 2006 140 and 170bhp

2.0 TDi 140 bhp is using a new turbo from what I know, never seen it before or mentioned, its using -GT1646V

Has anyone ever heard a of a GT16 before?

The 140 is still using PD also, where as the 170 is using the new piezo injectors, think its PPD for short!

2.0 TDi 170 bhp is using a new turbo also from what I know, never seen it before or mentioned, its using -GTB1749VM From what m0rk mentioned in passing in another thread I taking the M to stand for the manifold and turbo being one "unit"?

Anyway I can finally sleep now knowing this.

Hope this is correct, if anyone knows anymore info please tell me.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
STOCKY said:
Ok this has been annoying the f'in hell out of me for about a week now. Information just wasnt there to be found but I have done it I think....

LINK to it HERE

What you are looking for is the Passat TDi 2006 140 and 170bhp

2.0 TDi 140 bhp is using a new turbo from what I know, never seen it before or mentioned, its using -GT1646V

Has anyone ever heard a of a GT16 before?

The 140 is still using PD also, where as the 170 is using the new piezo injectors, think its PPD for short!

2.0 TDi 170 bhp is using a new turbo also from what I know, never seen it before or mentioned, its using -GTB1749VM From what m0rk mentioned in passing in another thread I taking the M to stand for the manifold and turbo being one "unit"?

Anyway I can finally sleep now knowing this.

Hope this is correct, if anyone knows anymore info please tell me.
Just to annoy you mate the turbo and manifold is all one unit anyway. When i had the PD140 turbo taken off my spare engine and opened up i was told that internally it was the same as what was on my Cupra it was just a different housing and manifold to change the angle at which the turbo sat on the engine. The turbo on the PD170 is at a different angel again then the PD140 so they are bound to have different part numbers.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
if u follow the link ul see the garrett part nums are diff , a gt1749 is a vnt 17, a gt2050 is a vnt20 , so a gt16?? is a vnt 16 , the two nums are the respective sizes for the exhaust and compressor housing , no??

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
devonmikeyboy said:
Just to annoy you mate the turbo and manifold is all one unit anyway. When i had the PD140 turbo taken off my spare engine and opened up i was told that internally it was the same as what was on my Cupra it was just a different housing and manifold to change the angle at which the turbo sat on the engine. The turbo on the PD170 is at a different angel again then the PD140 so they are bound to have different part numbers.

It doesnt annoy me at all just want to know more.

OK I see your point about the part numbers but thinking logically here

VNT15 on mine - smallest
VNT16 - middle
VNT17 - bigger

so for them to big the same I cant understand it?

What does changing the angle the turbo is positioned actually do?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
STOCKY said:
It doesnt annoy me at all just want to know more.

OK I see your point about the part numbers but thinking logically here

VNT15 on mine - smallest
VNT16 - middle
VNT17 - bigger

so for them to big the same I cant understand it?

What does changing the angle the turbo is positioned actually do?
I think your right mate but just to confuse things acording to that site my Audi uses a GT1749V where as the Golf/Passat uses a GT1646V on the PD 140 range, i wounder if it is just a typo or not? The turbo used on the PD170 is a 1749 same as on the Cupra and golf 150 PD 1.9 but with a different manifold and housing. The angel of the turbo is important since you do not want to restrict the flow of air getting blown into the engine but the turbo has to be designed to fit in the bulkhead of the car neatly.

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
devonmikeyboy said:
I think your right mate but just to confuse things acording to that site my Audi uses a GT1749V where as the Golf/Passat uses a GT1646V on the PD 140 range, i wounder if it is just a typo or not? The turbo used on the PD170 is a 1749 same as on the Cupra and golf 150 PD 1.9 but with a different manifold and housing. The angel of the turbo is important since you do not want to restrict the flow of air getting blown into the engine but the turbo has to be designed to fit in the bulkhead of the car neatly.

And to confuse things even more LINK its a PDF

The Audi 2.0Tdi 140 uses 2 different turbo GTB1649VM and the GT1749V. Why 2 different turbos for the same engine???

Also the same for the 140 leon but the GTB1749VM with all in one manifolf instead of the GT1749V.

There has to be a reason for 2 different turbos in the 140 leon and audi, anyone got any ideas?

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Stocky, Not sure if you read VW Driver or Audi Driver, Call me sad but i do, anyway they do amazing 10 odd page break downs of engines, they did one over 2 issues on the PD 140 unit, I am also pretty sure they have a detailed breakdown of the 170 coming soon too. Just have a look on line and order there back issues, ii think mine may be lying around the office at work now.

This will answer all your questions, i also thought the manifold and turbo were one unit, this is also the same on the 2.0TFsi too.

Also 2 turbo's is probably due to one being DSG and one being manual.

Not sure if you remember but on the old passatt 130 TDi they did a 5-speed version and a 6-speed version. Due to the gearbox they both used diferent torque outputs. Some seems likely that they may have slihtly different specs between DSG and Manual.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
2 Different turbos maybe because only the A3 platform cars use a transverse 2.0 TDI engine in the Audi range. All the big Audis are North South engines so exhaust manifolding etc are different.

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Ant FR said:
Stocky, Not sure if you read VW Driver or Audi Driver, Call me sad but i do, anyway they do amazing 10 odd page break downs of engines, they did one over 2 issues on the PD 140 unit, I am also pretty sure they have a detailed breakdown of the 170 coming soon too. Just have a look on line and order there back issues, ii think mine may be lying around the office at work now.

This will answer all your questions, i also thought the manifold and turbo were one unit, this is also the same on the 2.0TFsi too.

Also 2 turbo's is probably due to one being DSG and one being manual.

Not sure if you remember but on the old passatt 130 TDi they did a 5-speed version and a 6-speed version. Due to the gearbox they both used diferent torque outputs. Some seems likely that they may have slihtly different specs between DSG and Manual.

Cheers for the heads up on the magazines Ill try get my hands on them.

Me and and stephen (stoney) where talking on MSN last night and he mentioned DSG being the reason for the 2 as well.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
just to develop on kyles info , iive been to a few local dealers today and altho they havent loaded the latest etka , my hunch is the difference in turbos is down to the DSG box , either the downpipe clashes with it , or the smaller turbo , delivers less torque to the box, in effect saving it , i dunno, will investigate

shtrumfy2k

can you put the pd170 turbo on a pd140?
what are the differencies, anybody has done this?
thks

paul-seat-leon

paul

hay paul heer jst got a2.0 seat leon tdi 140. am realy looking to start buyn parts/mods but dont realy know wt to buy any help?