2.0 tdi FR Problems

Howard 1

Hello, Has anyone had problems with their new Leon 2.0 TDI FR ?
I'm begining to think i've purchased a Friday afternooner.
I used to be in sales with Audi and am very familiar with the VA group 2.0tdi unit. I took delivery of my new Leon 2.0 tdi FR 3 weeks ago and seem to be having problems already !!
1, When acelerating there is a gargling almoust coffee maker noise coming from the engine through the dash. I know you can normaly hear turbo swirll anyway through the dash, its not that !!
2, Engine missing when idleing and rocking the car
3, When the steering wheel is dead straight the car veers to the left.
4 Engine not souning to happy when pushed
I have booked it in to Seat but would be interested to know if anyone's had similar problems.
Ta Howard 1

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
hi! i received my fr tdi 3 weeks ago and the sensor of the particle filter had a problem making the car going to emergency mode. I think i have that noise from the dash. My car was the first to get into portugal so the technicians are a little "stupid" analysing my car...sorry for the bad english

Howard 1

Hi Mitra,

Thank you for your reply,
Think the only thing to do is to limp it to my local deaer and hope they don't give me the run around.
Hope your enjoyin your new motor ! !
Howard 1

MakoShark2

MitraShark said:
hi! i received my fr tdi 3 weeks ago and the sensor of the particle filter had a problem making the car going to emergency mode. I think i have that noise from the dash. My car was the first to get into portugal so the technicians are a little "stupid" analysing my car...sorry for the bad english

Hi Mitra, I'm also portuguese :clap: and...

I'm about to trade my current car, and I'm considering the new Leon FR (TDI).

Did you have your problem solved?
How do you feel about your new car?
And by the way, from which side of the country are you?

so many questions, so little time... :cry:

Tx.

MakoShark2

Carnivor

Jul 7, 2006
In my LeonFR 2.0 TDI
to me, the gargling sounds like the air con, my old leon used to gargle alot, espically after a drive,

the rocking, i have noticed, only once tho, last thursday, was stopped at lights in neutral and the car felt like i was going slightly fowards and backwards, make me feel quite sick, but after pulling away i havent so far experienced it again,

so far the only thing thats annoying me is the "deep inside the dash rattle and the rattle behind the drivers right ear, i cant workout where that one comes from, when i move my head i cant hear it, only when looking forwards its an everso slight buzz, even with stereo off, sortof like how speaker rattles with extreme bass

Howard 1

Hmm, Don't think its the air-con as it only happens when i put my foot down.
The rocking when stationary has happened to me about 5 times.
I've heard a slight humming noise from the dash when you turn off the ignition seem to last 30 seconds or so. ( sounds like fuel pump maybe )
Anyway my car is booked in for Tommorow so i'll let you know how i get on.
Oh . . forgot to mention my Air bag light came on last night and wont go off AAAAGHHH !!!

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
MakoShark2 said:
Hi Mitra, I'm also portuguese :clap: and...

I'm about to trade my current car, and I'm considering the new Leon FR (TDI).

Did you have your problem solved?
How do you feel about your new car?
And by the way, from which side of the country are you?

so many questions, so little time... :cry:

Tx.

MakoShark2

Hi! My problem wasn`t solved yet because there aren`t pieces avaible yet because it`s a recent car...that`s what they say! And it`s BS. lol anyway...the car is great...great power at low bands and athletic ant high rpm`s!i had some comparisons on the road already... 120d, the first subaru, the one with 210 hp and other cars...and none of these have any chances...my top speed is 240 km/h showing on the dash...the car is only 4000 km`s.it more to give...the comsuption is great for me in any kind of driving...i had a tuned e46 325 ci., so the consuptions on the diesels are great for me! but with my kind of driving i do 8.5 l/100...i have a heavy foot. lol anyhow...it`s a great buy! great In everything... i`m from Porto! Maia to be more exact...and you?

richi

Hi Howard fr Tdi Problems too

Ive had my FR 170Tdi for 5 weeks and it goes through stages of running very noisey under light throttle and engine loads (a really bad diesel knocking that sounds like the rattley diesels of old that are past there best by date), this is usually accompanied by rough running causing the car to jerk slightly (similar to a missfiring petrol car) a slight loss of power and a slightly raised idle speed. Under wide throttle openings this noise dissapears, giving the car a really good blast out under full throttle for several minutes usually causes the car to run normally ie quiet, smooth and powerfull with a normal (750 Rpm ish) tick over. Ive had it in the garage where they kept it 2 days but failed to find anything. I have a good knowledge of engines and my best guess is that the car is switching to cold running mode (this engine sounds ruff when still running under cold start conditions) and this is causing the bad diesel knock and poor running due to it running too rich while its at normal operating temp.

When its running ok the car is frugal,fun and fast averaging over 40mpg despite quite spirited driving, my only dislike is the poor quality plastcs especially the door cards.

MakoShark2

hmm... it seems that the new TDI170 block suffers from youth problems. :cry:

mitrashark: I'm from Lisbon, and I'm really considering the Leon FR, mainly
because of, engine, price, equipment and looks (I think it's the best looking
hot hatch of the moment). Then it's a recent car (A3 ang Golf V are 3 years old,
focus is 1, and astra is 2), Civic is also new but the design is controversial
(although it has a good equipment list and good japanese reliability).
I've read a review today (in Autohoje) of the FR TSFI (200) vs Astra OPC (240),
and they actualy gave the first place to the leon, mainly because of it's
better handling and equipment. :drool:

richi & mirashar: I've read alot about the bad and the good assembly and
quality of the cockpit materials, I'm kind of confused, some magazines say
that plastics aren't so soft but still of good quality and the assembly is very
close to VW standards and other say that both the quality and assembly
is very inferior to VW standards. :think:

What can you say to me about that?

ps: I still didn't schedule a test-drive, but I'm planning to.

Tx again guys.

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
MakoShark2 said:
hmm... it seems that the new TDI170 block suffers from youth problems. :cry:

mitrashark: I'm from Lisbon, and I'm really considering the Leon FR, mainly
because of, engine, price, equipment and looks (I think it's the best looking
hot hatch of the moment). Then it's a recent car (A3 ang Golf V are 3 years old,
focus is 1, and astra is 2), Civic is also new but the design is controversial
(although it has a good equipment list and good japanese reliability).
I've read a review today (in Autohoje) of the FR TSFI (200) vs Astra OPC (240),
and they actualy gave the first place to the leon, mainly because of it's
better handling and equipment. :drool:

richi & mirashar: I've read alot about the bad and the good assembly and
quality of the cockpit materials, I'm kind of confused, some magazines say
that plastics aren't so soft but still of good quality and the assembly is very
close to VW standards and other say that both the quality and assembly
is very inferior to VW standards. :think:

What can you say to me about that?

ps: I still didn't schedule a test-drive, but I'm planning to.

Tx again guys.

Richi: That`s exactly what i have! Don`t know if it`s really a problem now since everyone is having these...

MakoShark2: About the plastics...I`ve droven the A3 and Golf...The A3 is better than the golf and leon on materials ( of course ), but the golf and leon are very similiar in plastics...The golf is just a little better. Nothing like they say on magazines! taking in consideration that the golf gt tdi ( 170 hp ) costs 40000 euros standard against the 33000 euros of the leon fr tdi it`s really not worth it. it`s on the same autohoje you bought today! You can see the price there. I think the leon fr is the way to go considering price, quality, sportivity and looks...any question you have i`ll try to anwser.

Howard 1

No Fault Found Hmmm . .

Hi Richi,

Sorry to hear your having similar problems.
My car went in to Seat yesteday and was with them all day, the response was pretty much the same as yours ( no fault found )

My main complaint was the patchy performance, even when the engine is warmed properly the the usual kick you get just doesn't seem to be there on occasions.
Don't get me wrong its not totally flat its still quick but not the full 170 horses.

The only other real complaint was the engine missing on idle which rocks the car. Seat have said this is a characteristic of the new dual partical filter and to let them know if it gets any worse

So ive basically been given the same brush off as you !!!

Maybe the whole thing is due to DPF ? i don't know too much about it other than its new tech and reduces the amount of soot from the exhaust.

Mine has done 1800 miles, i'm thinking maybe let the engine run in a little more i.e 5000 or so to let everything bed in and if the problem hasn't gone away maybe lean on Seat a little harder to sort it !!!

How many miles has yours done ? Are you planning on taking back in ?

Howard

MakoShark2

MitraShark said:
Richi: That`s exactly what i have! Don`t know if it`s really a problem now since everyone is having these...

MakoShark2: About the plastics...I`ve droven the A3 and Golf...The A3 is better than the golf and leon on materials ( of course ), but the golf and leon are very similiar in plastics...The golf is just a little better. Nothing like they say on magazines! taking in consideration that the golf gt tdi ( 170 hp ) costs 40000 euros standard against the 33000 euros of the leon fr tdi it`s really not worth it. it`s on the same autohoje you bought today! You can see the price there. I think the leon fr is the way to go considering price, quality, sportivity and looks...any question you have i`ll try to anwser.

MitraShark:can I ask what options did your order for your car, how do your feel
about them (good/bad) and if you miss any you didn't order?

Hope everyone gets this weird engine trouble resolved.

Tx.

ps: I'm sorry if I get off a little about the main subject of this topic, but for
some reason I can't PM MitraShark.

richi

Hi Howard

Ive got 1100 miles on the clock and its red,bluetooth,18's,auto wipers / lights and centre armrest. The diesel particulate filter fob off is a load off crap, as if the filter(located in the exhaust system) is getting clogged usually caused by lots of short trips a light will illuminate on the dash to tell you so, it can be cleaned just by giving the car a good long blast out. If you do mainly motorway and long trips you should never suffer this.
The dealer did not fob me off, they just checked for fault codes and leaks in the induction system, and asked me to bring it back in if it persisted as there head technician was away on a training coarse. So it will be going back now i have discovered more things that happen when the fault is present.
Although after owning several BMW's, Audis, and VW's it seems that most dealer technicians(???) / mechanics lack any ability to track down a fault unless the computer tells them where it is (ie a fault code is present), No fault code means ok which to me means they dont have any idea or just can't be bothered to look. 9 times out of 10 on modern cars a fault code only appears if something stops working or gives readings out of a set parameter range, if it malfunctions but still produces a reading within the acceptable range ie a temp sensor tells the ecu the engine is cold when it is infact a normal operating temp will not flag up a fault as it is still in the expected range. The only dealer that i have a great deal of respect for is sytner BMW in sheffield who solved everything my problematic 330d sport could throw at them. Anyway like i said the car will be going back in the dealers and i hope seat will get to the bottom of the problem for me.

This however has not spoilt the enjoyment of the car, it has the best front end grip and traction of any FWD car i have ever driven, after my last car AUDI 2.0T FSI S LINE i vowed never to go FWD again as the torque steer and wheelspin of the mark was awfull. But the leon is superb.

OOOps sorry to go on abit.:banned:

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
MakoShark2 said:
MitraShark:can I ask what options did your order for your car, how do your feel
about them (good/bad) and if you miss any you didn't order?

Hope everyone gets this weird engine trouble resolved.

Tx.

ps: I'm sorry if I get off a little about the main subject of this topic, but for
some reason I can't PM MitraShark.

I ordered BlueTooth ( it`s a must have! ), light sensor, rain sensor and "espelho antiencadeamento" ( don`t know how to spell it in english ), black rear windows, chrome rings for the dash and vents, alluminum pedals, "frisos da seat sport interiores e exteriores" and other gearknob ( carbon seat sport gear knob ). The original, saying FR, it`s pretty, but the touch is cheap and if you like "spirited driving" the gear knob doesn`t help much...Too big and fat for fast gear changes. If you want i`ll give you my msn. It`s better that way... [email protected]
Cheers

Howard 1

Hi Richi . . Still having probs !!!

Hi Richi,

My car has been running o.k. for the last week but last night i seem to have had the same trouble as you.

Since having the car i've had a strange knocking from the engine under light throttle that either disapears under high revs or gets drowned out by the engine. the only way i can discribe the noise is like a load of ball bearings being blown around in a box, if that makes any sence.

Anyway last night the exhaust totally changed in note and had a deeper burbble to it the idle went from normal 750rpm to 1'000rpm and the engine seemed to missfire.

The engine wasn't cold it was normal temp, this lasted about 15 mins and went back to normal.

Are you still having probs? have you booked it back in to the daeler ?

Cheers Howard

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
Howard 1 said:
Hi Richi,

My car has been running o.k. for the last week but last night i seem to have had the same trouble as you.

Since having the car i've had a strange knocking from the engine under light throttle that either disapears under high revs or gets drowned out by the engine. the only way i can discribe the noise is like a load of ball bearings being blown around in a box, if that makes any sence.

Anyway last night the exhaust totally changed in note and had a deeper burbble to it the idle went from normal 750rpm to 1'000rpm and the engine seemed to missfire.

The engine wasn't cold it was normal temp, this lasted about 15 mins and went back to normal.

Are you still having probs? have you booked it back in to the daeler ?

Cheers Howard

Hi m8! i had that idle problem before my particle filter sensor went bad...It`s fixed now and never had that problem again...it was the particle filter sensor and some wires corresponding to it. It was a factory problem. Don`T know if it`s the same problem has you, but it always help to warn...cheers

richi

Howard we definately have the same problem, mine is intermittent too with the sound as you describe, i didnt mean to say it did iy while cold, just thought that the car my be switching to cold running mode although its thoroughly warmed through. It may be worth investigating what Mitrashark has had done though.

Howard 1

Were getting there . .

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your reply,

Can i just say amongst all this doom n gloom that i'm really enjoying the car and its starting to loosen up a little 2'500 miles, the low down torque is trully addictive and have never driven a car with such composure and grip.
I have worked in sales with Audi previously and have had the use of everything from S3'S to TT 3.2 and S4 Ect . . whilst the tdi FR obviously doesn't have their pace it really shows them up with its grip it just never seems to get away from you at the front end and always leaves a grin on my face !!!

We all seem to be sharing the same problem and whilst Mitrashark has probably nailed the idle fault as being connected to the DPF i don't think that the strange engine or possible turbo noise under light throttle is connected.

Maybe the noise is a characteristic of the new engine, who now's i pearsonally have had nothing to compare it to as like most of you i didn't test drive one before i ordered it.

My car is booked in next week to have the airbag replaced so i will have a chat with them and see what happens.

Mitrashark, did your dealer find the fault with the DPF via the normal plug in diagnostics or did they have to investigate it further ?

Richi, let me know how you get on if your planning to it back in and good luck with it !!

Will let you know how i get on.

Thanks Guys. .

Howard 1

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
Howard 1 said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your reply,

Can i just say amongst all this doom n gloom that i'm really enjoying the car and its starting to loosen up a little 2'500 miles, the low down torque is trully addictive and have never driven a car with such composure and grip.
I have worked in sales with Audi previously and have had the use of everything from S3'S to TT 3.2 and S4 Ect . . whilst the tdi FR obviously doesn't have their pace it really shows them up with its grip it just never seems to get away from you at the front end and always leaves a grin on my face !!!

We all seem to be sharing the same problem and whilst Mitrashark has probably nailed the idle fault as being connected to the DPF i don't think that the strange engine or possible turbo noise under light throttle is connected.

Maybe the noise is a characteristic of the new engine, who now's i pearsonally have had nothing to compare it to as like most of you i didn't test drive one before i ordered it.

My car is booked in next week to have the airbag replaced so i will have a chat with them and see what happens.

Mitrashark, did your dealer find the fault with the DPF via the normal plug in diagnostics or did they have to investigate it further ?

Richi, let me know how you get on if your planning to it back in and good luck with it !!

Will let you know how i get on.

Thanks Guys. .

Howard 1

They had to investigate it further! They diagnosted all sensors and cables on the car manually. The car had to stay at the dealer 3 days. Luckly they found the problem quick. They wanted the car there for a week.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.