2.0 tdi FR Problems

Howard 1

Hi guys, just wondered how you were all getting on? My car has only covered 500 miles but i am already getting similar problems...

Hi MartH,

Sorry to hear your having trouble . .

My car is booked to go back in mon 18th sept so will let everyone know how i get on.

What problems are you having ?

Howard 1

safcnige

hi
ive noticed the same rocking of the engine at times when idling and the pulling to the left under acceleration but i put the rocking down to the air con cutting in which i could hear and the pulling down to tramlining as ive got the bigger wheels but ive never had any problems with lack of power. As for the technicians at the dealers one of the lads was right in saying a lot of them havent got a clue what a problem could be if it doesnt come up on the diagnostic computer, i know this because i was a time served technician and the training these lads get at college nowaday is crap. Everything is based around nvq's and righting out job cards to say youve done the work and very little theory.

Howard 1

hi
ive noticed the same rocking of the engine at times when idling and the pulling to the left under acceleration but i put the rocking down to the air con cutting in which i could hear and the pulling down to tramlining as ive got the bigger wheels but ive never had any problems with lack of power. As for the technicians at the dealers one of the lads was right in saying a lot of them havent got a clue what a problem could be if it doesnt come up on the diagnostic computer, i know this because i was a time served technician and the training these lads get at college nowaday is crap. Everything is based around nvq's and righting out job cards to say youve done the work and very little theory.

Hi,
Thanks for your comments, i totally agree with the techincians not looking past the diagnostic equiptment.

With your experiance as a techician what would be your advice as i'm definatley experiencing problems and its been in to the dealer for a day for them to say not fault found.
Its booked in again on the 18th but dont want to be fobbed off with the same.
Does it usually pay to talk to the service manager ?

Cheers Howard

Howard 1

Hi Howard, the loss of power thing. One minute it pulls really well and the next time you take it out it only pulls ok.

Yep,

I have the same problem, somtimes it feels really quick and other times no real pull just gradual acceleration and no touque steer in 2nd . .

I'm convinced its a turbo problem but i'm no techincian, its going back in on the 18th will let everyone know what happens.

Ta Howard

safcnige

hi howard,
try asking for the service manager and try telling him about everyone elses problems on the forum or you could ask them them to contact seat technical department i.e. seat themselves, as for the loss of power i havent found it yet but am wondering whether it could be the turbo getting hot and maybe needing a bigger intercooler?

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I own the 'poor relation' 140TDI and this too has the rocking at idle on occasion. Mines got quite a few miles on the clock though. So it could be a characterisic of the 2.0 Diesel in general. I've had the car back to the dealer a few times; MAF changed, turbo seals etc etc but still no real improvement.
Also the car feels quicker some days than others, quite dramatically so sometimes as some of you guys are suffering, but I've owned half a dozen or more turbo cars and they all seem to behave like this. All of them VAG too.

MartH

Jul 18, 2006
Cullompton, Devon
F****d if i know. I dont have the rough idle problem...yet But the noise on light throttle and loss of power. Which is quite considerable, once the car is warmed up i either have full power or not. I dont loose it when the engine gets warmer! Mitrashark seems to have fixed his so hopefully howard will too. Going to wait to see how howard gets on and then book mine in.

safcnige

went out in the car last night and drove 8 miles to the inlaws and just as i was nearing their house the car suffered slight loss of power and as i pulled up at the house the rocking sensation was there too. Then the dpf warning light came on so i had a look in the hand book and follwed the instructions in that and drove the car for approx 10 mins at 1500 rpm at 40 mph. The car was running rough but when the light eventually went off the car went back to normal and was back to its normal rapid self. I dont know if this is the cause of the problem but it might be something to keep an eye out for but it seems a bit silly if the dpf would keep blocking on short journeys cos lets face it not everybody does long journeys. Im going to take it to the garage today and see what theyve got to say!

Last edited by a moderator:

richpaul

Hi,
This is my first post but this thread seems appropriate for somewhere to start.
I had had vauxhalls for the last 10 years and fancied a change, so bought the Leon FR TDI170 (how do you actually pronounce Leon, or in fact Seat? Anyway).
My last Vauxhall was a heavily modified Astra Coupe Turbo with 300bhp and 300 lb ft Stats and Pics Here, and have been a little dissapointed with the diesel performance but that was to be expected, but the MPG makes me smile!
I want the REVO mod as soon as its available.

The problems I have to date (car only covered 150miles so far).
1. Rocking sea sickness thing on tick over, but i put that down to the fact that its diesel power.
2. Rattle behind the radio, I wondered whether they havnt fastened the bluetooth wiring down.
3. Odd knock sound when accelerating gently on and off like when queueing slowly, I put this down to something turning on and off when moving off/idling.
4. Coffee perculator sound on light throttle, I put this down to the turbo draining off excess boost.
5. Horrible plastic dash front.
6. Bird poo on rear right quarter panel.
7. Bluetooth kit has picked up all my contacts by itself, but it will not recognise any if i speak them. I put this down to something Ive done wrong.

All my problems seem common to everyone elses, although they are not sufficient enough for me to take it back to the dealer except point 2. But I want some sub woofers in the boot so the radio will have to be opened up anyways. (Do you know if there are Pre-Outs on the stereo?)

Overall, very happy with the car and the level of standard kit! The bluetooth voice recognition is much better than other kits ive seen, it even knows if you read out numbers and not names for those numbers not stored in your phone!

My optional extras were 18 inch wheels (I am sorry but I hate those 17s), and the bluetooth.

Enuf rantings.
Rich.

Howard 1

Dealer reponse . .

Hello again,

I said i would let you all know how i got on at the dealer this week regarding the gremlins under my bonnet !!!

See previous threads for details . .

Car was with them all day Monday 18th, had a chat with the service guy before they looked at it and told him that other people i have spoken to on this forum were experiencing the same niggles.

I asked for him to look past the standard plugin diagnostics as other people i have spoken to said their dealer had to do a full manual check to source the problem.

The car came back to me at the end of the day with no faults found and he said the techi had manualy checked the dpf and maf connections of which all seem to be fine.

Saying that he did mention it was hard to say if the dpf or maf were faulty because you cant tell by eye and unless the car was running badly with high tickover whilst it was with them they wouldn't be able to make a warranty claim to replace it.

The only answer he gave was to leave it with them for a few days to see if it would play up whilst in their hands, this happens once every week or so its unlikley they will pick it up by nipping up and down the road a few times.

The car is starting to loosen up and seems to be slowly sorting its own problems out. iv'e done 4000 miles . .

Not sure what to do from here, will prob just try and forget it and wait for somthing to go fizz bang so they can do somthing for me.

How is everyone else getting on ?

Ta Howard 1

MartH

Jul 18, 2006
Cullompton, Devon
Hi Howard, sorry to hear yours hasn't been sorted. Mines getting better as it's running in but still have the loss of power thing and the dash rattle but apart from that am well pleased with it.

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
Hello again,

I said i would let you all know how i got on at the dealer this week regarding the gremlins under my bonnet !!!

See previous threads for details . .

Car was with them all day Monday 18th, had a chat with the service guy before they looked at it and told him that other people i have spoken to on this forum were experiencing the same niggles.

I asked for him to look past the standard plugin diagnostics as other people i have spoken to said their dealer had to do a full manual check to source the problem.

The car came back to me at the end of the day with no faults found and he said the techi had manualy checked the dpf and maf connections of which all seem to be fine.

Saying that he did mention it was hard to say if the dpf or maf were faulty because you cant tell by eye and unless the car was running badly with high tickover whilst it was with them they wouldn't be able to make a warranty claim to replace it.

The only answer he gave was to leave it with them for a few days to see if it would play up whilst in their hands, this happens once every week or so its unlikley they will pick it up by nipping up and down the road a few times.

The car is starting to loosen up and seems to be slowly sorting its own problems out. iv'e done 4000 miles . .

Not sure what to do from here, will prob just try and forget it and wait for somthing to go fizz bang so they can do somthing for me.

How is everyone else getting on ?

Ta Howard 1

Hi howard! Those technicians didn`t want to do what they really should do. They have to measure with a voltimeter ,or whatever it is , The cables and sensors! It`s not just looking at that DPF and sensors. Even i can do that! They have to test the functionality ( is it how it`s spell it? ) of each sensor with measuring power, voltage, etc toys. Maybe your dealer doesn`t have proper technicians for that or they are just to lazy. If i were you i would try another dealer or like you said " Not sure what to do from here, will prob just try and forget it and wait for somthing to go fizz bang so they can do somthing for me.
"
Cheers

richi

Mines booked in again

Hi, ive got mine FR booked in at Autoworld Sheffield which is where i bought it from, for them to have a look at the car (second time different dealer) regarding the intermitent poor running problems we seem to be having. Will report back after its been in.

leonfrtdi@chan

In other threads I've commented on the 'humming' noise coming from the engine. Mine happened when I first got my FR TDI. I lifted off the accelerator above 1500 rpm and then low humming noise could be heard. At first I thought it was the turbo swirl, like most would, in fact it got louder and longer the higher the revs.

Eventually, looking at other VAG forums I stumbled on TDI DPF 2.0 MK5 Golf owners that a similar fault was due to faulty turbo solenoids (gas re-circulation control). So I took mine back to dealer (within 1 week of picking it up) and had it tightened. Mechanics thought it was vibrations due to a 'loose' solenoid. Took it back a week later as the noise came back. They then changed it under warranty and since then (touch wood) it's not come back. Performance was noticeably better too. (Feel that Acceleration)

My advice is to get it changed as soon as possible.

There are threads on this too from other Leon owners.

ginnerste

Hi I'm a newbie, I've only had my fr for two months, the car has 110000 miles on the clock & its started doing the noise at low revs, idles at a 1000rpms. Me and a friend were trying to listen to the car when there was a loud click, and the engine quietened down and when I bliped the throttle it didnt sound like an old diesel anymore. Any ideas? Is this similar to any of your faults, and if so what were they and was it fixable? Cheers guys :)

richpaul

Hi I'm a newbie, I've only had my fr for two months, the car has 110000 miles on the clock & its started doing the noise at low revs, idles at a 1000rpms. Me and a friend were trying to listen to the car when there was a loud click, and the engine quietened down and when I bliped the throttle it didnt sound like an old diesel anymore. Any ideas? Is this similar to any of your faults, and if so what were they and was it fixable? Cheers guys :)

Maybe it was purging the dpf. The revs are 1000 during clean.

ginnerste

Thanks for getting back to me, it's the change in engine noise that gets to me, it almost sounds like the engine is knocking. Im hoping its noisey when i take it back to where i got it from cos it seems to be happening alot lately

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members