1.4 Tsi ACT FR intercooler upgrades

MattyS04

Jul 12, 2023
Belfast Northern Ireland
Hi all, I’ve searched and searched the forum for anything on a 1.4 FR intercooler upgrade but as of now have found nothing.
Its being mapped to 190/200 so was hoping to get some decent intake upgrades, is there an intercooler that is built for the 1.4 and would fit a leon? Also is there anything I can add or change that will help reduce oil temps?
Many thanks.

RileyFR

Jul 14, 2022
South West
I think you would have to go down the universal route for a front mount intercooler and remove the watercooler and block it off with a blanking plate, RTMG provide them. For what your aiming for power wise the standard watercooler set up should be fine. Decent panel filter wouldnt hurt or even an intake kit.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Is that engine reliable for 200 bhp? Why not just buy the 1.8 and get bigger brakes etc out of the box rather than trying to make the 1.4 Into something it's not?

MattyS04

Jul 12, 2023
Belfast Northern Ireland
Is that engine reliable for 200 bhp? Why not just buy the 1.8 and get bigger brakes etc out of the box rather than trying to make the 1.4 Into something it's not?
Well I’m 19 so anything over the 1.4 isn’t viable insurance wise and it already has a lot of stuff done so was more wanting an intercooler for the looks of it than anything… plus last gen 1.4s have been seen to hit 600+ with the supercharged Ibiza cupras so not completely unfathomable

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Well I’m 19 so anything over the 1.4 isn’t viable insurance wise and it already has a lot of stuff done so...
I'll sound like a grumpy old man but I'll try to give you some sensible advice.

Firstly, have you told your insurance company about the modifications you've done? If not, you don't have any insurance. Your insurance is conditional on the information you give them about your car being correct. So if you tell them you have a Fiesta when you actually have a Ferrari your car isn't actually insured as it's not the car they thought they were quoting you on.

Modifications are the same. Modifications don't have to increase the performance. Statistically, people who mod cars crash them more often than people who don't so their insurance costs more. It might seem clever to not tell them about the mods but they are the winners. They collect your money each year but have no risk of having to pay out as they can justifiably reject any claim you make. This is why they don't ask for pictures when you take out the insurance, they take your word for it. They don't care if you're lying at that point. Have a crash? Trust me, then they'll inspect the car!

So if you've not told them about the mods, get on the phone and tell them. I could tell you a couple of stories about people who got caught lying to insurance companies. You don't want to go there.

If money is an issue you should bear in mind that modding cars almost always takes value off them. You can get lucky but most of the time modded cars are harder to sell and won't fetch the same money as a clean car of the same type. Mods are very personal, that's the whole point, and few people will have the same tastes as you. They also put the insurance up and flag the owner as someone who maybe drives the car hard. I bought a modded car once in my life and I'll never do it again.

The last thing is more practical. Increasing the power of your car often makes it less reliable. Years ago I was thinking about buying a Fiesta. I bought a Fast Ford magazine and on cover was 1.0L Ecoboost car that had been taken from something like 75bhp up to about 150. The article explained how the company had achieved this. Out of curiosity, and to find out a bit more about these cars in general, I called them. First thing the guy said to me was 'Yes, you can take the power up to 150hp on these cars but DON'T!". The car will drive like crap and you just break stuff. Nothing else about the car is designed for that power. The factory cars with more power have different brakes, different suspension, different gearboxes.

You'll know yourself, the 1.8 Leon has bigger brakes than the 1.4 but other differences can be invisible. For example BMW used four different qualities of piston on the same size of engine depending on the power output. Stronger parts cost more so manufacturers won't fit them to cars which don't need them. All of the parts of a car are carefully balanced to work together. If you up the power there is a good chance you'll reduce reliability and unbalance the car.

Sorry to be a downer but I just want to open your eyes to the possible consequences of modding cars. If you're fine with all that then cool. It's your car and you can do what you like with it. I'm an old fart now so wiser and less pinched financially but I remember my first car, a Mk2 Astra, and it had GTE bumpers on it before I sold it! So I totally get it. But would I do it again, knowing what I know now? Nope.

Reactions: Walone

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Having no insurance not only affects your claim but others involved, some might sue for everything you’ve got or will have.

There will also be a marker against any future insurance quotes, sorry. We’ve all had the ‘under 21-25 pain’.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Pig

MattyS04

Jul 12, 2023
Belfast Northern Ireland

Firstly, have you told your insurance company about the modifications you've done? If not, you don't have any insurance. Your insurance is conditional on the information you give them about your car being correct. So if you tell them you have a Fiesta when you actually have a Ferrari your car isn't actually insured as it's not the car they thought they were quoting you on.

Modifications are the same. Modifications don't have to increase the performance. Statistically, people who mod cars crash them more often than people who don't so their insurance costs more. It might seem clever to not tell them about the mods but they are the winners. They collect your money each year but have no risk of having to pay out as they can justifiably reject any claim you make. This is why they don't ask for pictures when you take out the insurance, they take your word for it. They don't care if you're lying at that point. Have a crash? Trust me, then they'll inspect the car!

So if you've not told them about the mods, get on the phone and tell them. I could tell you a couple of stories about people who got caught lying to insurance companies. You don't want to go there.

If money is an issue you should bear in mind that modding cars almost always takes value off them. You can get lucky but most of the time modded cars are harder to sell and won't fetch the same money as a clean car of the same type. Mods are very personal, that's the whole point, and few people will have the same tastes as you. They also put the insurance up and flag the owner as someone who maybe drives the car hard. I bought a modded car once in my life and I'll never do it again.

The last thing is more practical. Increasing the power of your car often makes it less reliable. Years ago I was thinking about buying a Fiesta. I bought a Fast Ford magazine and on cover was 1.0L Ecoboost car that had been taken from something like 75bhp up to about 150. The article explained how the company had achieved this. Out of curiosity, and to find out a bit more about these cars in general, I called them. First thing the guy said to me was 'Yes, you can take the power up to 150hp on these cars but DON'T!". The car will drive like crap and you just break stuff. Nothing else about the car is designed for that power. The factory cars with more power have different brakes, different suspension, different gearboxes.

You'll know yourself, the 1.8 Leon has bigger brakes than the 1.4 but other differences can be invisible. For example BMW used four different qualities of piston on the same size of engine depending on the power output. Stronger parts cost more so manufacturers won't fit them to cars which don't need them. All of the parts of a car are carefully balanced to work together. If you up the power there is a good chance you'll reduce reliability and unbalance the car.

Sorry to be a downer but I just want to open your eyes to the possible consequences of modding cars. If you're fine with all that then cool. It's your car and you can do what you like with it. I'm an old fart now so wiser and less pinched financially but I remember my first car, a Mk2 Astra, and it had GTE bumpers on it before I sold it! So I totally get it. But would I do it again, knowing what I know now? Nope.

No I understand just because I’m young it is automatically assumed that I’ve no sense of responsibility and actions, but that’s the exact issue with insurance, they assume.

I have grew up with cars, my father has owned 30+ cars in my lifetime and plenty of kit/project cars for shows and racing so I have been driving, modding and fixing since I was little. I bring this up as I want to show others that although I’m “only” 19 I am not just as simple minded as many older people think. As my insurance know everything done to the car and even know of my plans for future endeavours, a simple conversation with them worked wonders and they know it is a daily and show car mixed into one… not a race car.

I appreciate the concern for the young drivers out there who do not understand the consequences of lying to the insurer, but thankfully I’ve been raised in the right situation to do this from a young age.

And as you mentioned the engine components reliability and integrity… you are correct that pushing silly numbers out of smaller engines that aren’t built for it makes them extremely unpredictable. But as for the fiesta example that would mean I’m going for 300bhp, in which I am not. The IHI turbo, rad pack and fuel system of the 150bhp are actually overly excessive for the amount of stock power… these engines can sit at 190/200 without any bother or major modifications, just a good intake, exhaust and good juice.

Yet if I wanted to put a 290RS or Is20 on the EA211 it is actually still very reliable internally for 240bhp-ish but you would need an updated clutch… anything over that you would need forged internals and updated fuel system and cooling… but that is if you want a race car which is not what I want.

I am simply looking to do modifications which would be pretty to look at parked at a show or anything that will make daily driving easier on the engine, such as an external intercooler… yes it has potential for more power but if I wanted that I’d have just bought a 1.8 and went nuts with it but having the 1.4 reduces my insurance allowing for more spending money.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Well I’m 19 so anything over the 1.4 isn’t viable insurance wise and it already has a lot of stuff done so was more wanting an intercooler for the looks of it than anything… plus last gen 1.4s have been seen to hit 600+ with the supercharged Ibiza cupras so not completely unfathomable
Hi.
If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
No I understand just because I’m young it is automatically assumed that I’ve no sense of responsibility and actions, but that’s the exact issue with insurance, they assume.

I have grew up with cars, my father has owned 30+ cars in my lifetime and plenty of kit/project cars for shows and racing so I have been driving, modding and fixing since I was little. I bring this up as I want to show others that although I’m “only” 19 I am not just as simple minded as many older people think. As my insurance know everything done to the car and even know of my plans for future endeavours, a simple conversation with them worked wonders and they know it is a daily and show car mixed into one… not a race car.

I appreciate the concern for the young drivers out there who do not understand the consequences of lying to the insurer, but thankfully I’ve been raised in the right situation to do this from a young age.

And as you mentioned the engine components reliability and integrity… you are correct that pushing silly numbers out of smaller engines that aren’t built for it makes them extremely unpredictable. But as for the fiesta example that would mean I’m going for 300bhp, in which I am not. The IHI turbo, rad pack and fuel system of the 150bhp are actually overly excessive for the amount of stock power… these engines can sit at 190/200 without any bother or major modifications, just a good intake, exhaust and good juice.

Yet if I wanted to put a 290RS or Is20 on the EA211 it is actually still very reliable internally for 240bhp-ish but you would need an updated clutch… anything over that you would need forged internals and updated fuel system and cooling… but that is if you want a race car which is not what I want.

I am simply looking to do modifications which would be pretty to look at parked at a show or anything that will make daily driving easier on the engine, such as an external intercooler… yes it has potential for more power but if I wanted that I’d have just bought a 1.8 and went nuts with it but having the 1.4 reduces my insurance allowing for more spending money.
You are in the very small minority who are this responsible, no one said you hadn’t informed the insurance but asked if you had, only to help you if required.

MattyS04

Jul 12, 2023
Belfast Northern Ireland
You are in the very small minority who are this responsible, no one said you hadn’t informed the insurance but asked if you had, only to help you if required.
You are right unfortunately there are not a lot of new drivers who really fully understand and comprehend how a car fully works nor do they really understand the full consequences of not being transparent with insurance… I do appreciate the concern you have for fellow car enthusiasts even if they are young and ignorant. And I apologies if I came across defensive I’ve had far too many conversations with older generations about this topic, who just don’t understand that I can be young and have sensibility.

MattyS04

Jul 12, 2023
Belfast Northern Ireland
Hi.
If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Hi Dan,
I appreciate the response… I’ve been thinking of going for a modified insurance company, like yourselves, as I have some plans for the Leon I’d like to proceed with in the near future, but I doubt the insurance I am with at the moment are willing to cover more. Would it be possible to cover me (19) with 2 years of driving and 2 years NCB and a few modifications to a 2015 Leon FR, is that even a possible due to my age? (At a good price of course).
Thanks

MattyS04

Jul 12, 2023
Belfast Northern Ireland
In response to your original question, these guys produce mods and upgrades for the 1.4Tsi engine:
Thanks for the response… I know rtmg well, it’s just unfortunate that they don’t a full fitment kit for the EA211… but I’ve now seen why they don’t do it as it’s a MAJOR pain in the arse.
66DB2678-39CB-4F98-BBAB-F811E83302C1.png

The photo shows the routing for a universal front mount to be added… unless I can be really arsed I now see there is no point

Reactions: Mr Pig

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi Dan,
I appreciate the response… I’ve been thinking of going for a modified insurance company, like yourselves, as I have some plans for the Leon I’d like to proceed with in the near future, but I doubt the insurance I am with at the moment are willing to cover more. Would it be possible to cover me (19) with 2 years of driving and 2 years NCB and a few modifications to a 2015 Leon FR, is that even a possible due to my age? (At a good price of course).
Thanks
Hi.
If you wanted to PM me some contact details I could arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back and run through a quote if you like.
Regards,
Dan.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise