1.4 TSI vs 1.8 TSI (Manual) on the road

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
So I've test driven the new Leon FR 1.4 TSI and was a big fan of it. Felt noticeably faster and more responsive compared to my current Mk2. I had previously dismissed the 1.8 TSI (it wasn't available to drive at the time) but am curious to know how much quicker it would feel in the real world. On paper the torque figures are identical and there in Manual form only 0.7sec between the 0-60 times. Has anyone been lucky enough to drive them both and compare? I'd also be interested to hear if there is much in it mpg-wise.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I'd love the DSG and the figures for that are quicker than the Manual, but I don't think my budget will stretch

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I've had my 1.8 TSI (manual) for 6 months now and love it. I can't compare it with the 1.4 TSI because I've never driven one. However, it certainly seems much faster and more responsive than my previous Mk2 CR170 TDI.

gh2

Aug 2, 2010
I test drove the 1.8 first and then the 1.4 a few days later. I didn't notice a huge amount of difference between the two to be honest, although I drove the 1.8 quite carefully as I was coming from a 1.2 Ibiza! The dealer was quite keen to remind me I had their most expensive car (it had every option ticked)

In sport mode, the 1.4 is very eager to go!

Jun 15, 2013
Bought a 1.4 TSi back in June and am totally happy with the performance. Its way faster than any 2 litre car I have owned in the past especially in the midrange you use most of the time.

Considered the 1.8 very briefly but on paper other than the greater top end power it appeared to have no advantage. The torque in the all important 1500 to 4000 rpm band was identical and that is where you spend 99% of your time when driving. Above 4000 rpm the 1.4 is still way quicker than you need on public roads.

The running costs of the 1.4 are much lower, the RFL is only £30 and mine has averaged just over 45 mpg so far overall.

Cannot see how anyone can justify the 1.8.

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Each to their own but personally I'm moving my 1.4 and think it really is the best of both worlds for people not doing diesel mileage!
Very surprised how racey it gets when you push the go fast button! ;-)

NinjaPirateUK

Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI
Sep 7, 2009
Don't forget that the 1.8 TSI also benefits from the fully independent rear suspension, so engine performance isn't the only factor.

I can't comment on the 1.4 TSI, as my test driving only covered the 150/184 TDIs and the 1.8 TSI, but I found that the ride was much more compliant in the high power versions. It certainly seemed more planted through a few of the quicker turns.

Jun 15, 2013
Don't forget that the 1.8 TSI also benefits from the fully independent rear suspension, so engine performance isn't the only factor

Coming form a BMW with RWD and fully independent suspension I have found the Lon to be more than competent, in truth the ride is way better.

...and bigger brakes

If the brakes on the 1.4 TSi are not good enough you have serious issues with the way you drive.

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
Coming form a BMW with RWD and fully independent suspension I have found the Lon to be more than competent, in truth the ride is way better.

If the brakes on the 1.4 TSi are not good enough you have serious issues with the way you drive.

It's all part of the faster driving experience that the 1.8 offers over the 1.4. If you're happy with the 1.4 then fine but I didn't want to settle for that. Roll on the Cupra!

gaffer1986

I agree, if you suffer from brake fade and a spongy pedal on the road, stop and think for a second. (Unless you live up a mountain or take your car to the track of course) :)

NinjaPirateUK

Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI
Sep 7, 2009
Whilst I like the bigger brakes in terms of sharpness and feel, I have to agree that they afford very little advantage on the road.

I have yet to drive any VAG vehicle that has felt 'under-braked'.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I have the 2.0 150 FR, its a lease so I often 'drive it like its stolen' (In the sense that I accelerate hard and brake hard, no need to go over any speed limits to have fun) and I have tracked it twice yet I have never had any issues with brake fade. I can't really see how bigger breaks would be that necessary, the speed they can happily bring the car from 100mph+ down to 20mph is astonishing.

jamieswales

I have owned both. I had a 1.4TSI FR 5 Door for 6 months and now I have a 1.8TSI SC FR. In all honesty, the power difference is hardly noticeable, especially in round town driving (the 1.4 felt more powerful in this situation).

The power of the 1.8TSI is only noticeable at higher speeds in high revs.

The MPG is almost identical, but then I can only achieve 35mpg tops in either based on the way I drive.

Hope that helps

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Crazy sh!t. I was confused while reading this post how the 1.4 version can be so similar to the 1.8 version, and then it hit me!
The 1.4 version that is sold in Israel is 200Nm, 122PS. They don't even sell this one in the UK.
If I had the option to get the UK version, I probably would consider that it has the same torque is the 1.8 version. That would have saved me a lot of money insuring the beast...

gaffer1986

I have owned both. I had a 1.4TSI FR 5 Door for 6 months and now I have a 1.8TSI SC FR. In all honesty, the power difference is hardly noticeable, especially in round town driving (the 1.4 felt more powerful in this situation).

The power of the 1.8TSI is only noticeable at higher speeds in high revs.

The MPG is almost identical, but then I can only achieve 35mpg tops in either based on the way I drive.

Hope that helps

When I drove the 1.4 TSI I thought it was the best 4 cylinder petrol engine I had ever driven, sooo much torque from a petrol and revs smoothly to red line and easy to achieve 40 mpg, even from cold start, busy traffic, a few good spirts of hard acceleration on a few slip roads and a few miles at 70 mph.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.