1.6sc tdi actual mpg figs

gillian & james

Feb 28, 2010
Hi,

After covering just 250 miles (running it in), the new car has achieved 50.2mpg.

The trip is 14 miles each way Mon-Fri and is about 10 miles motorway,and 4 fast a road.

These figures are exact, although must take into consideration its very early days yet.

But we're more than happy if they stay at that :)

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hopefully given time, you'll be getting much better than that :)

I know I have an different engine but after 10'000 miles I've had days of 60+ mpg.

All the best with it :)

Andy

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
I have only ever had 58mpg once, the average is 50 mpg now after 11k, easily going below that around town! so dont hold your breath lol
I think the old pd engine has better mpg - prob get shot down in flames for that lol

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I've averaged 60mpg on 2 separate journeys, the other average is currently at 52.1 On the motorway it will generally average 55mpg.

I've only done just over 1000 miles, and I reckon you'd need around 20,000 to be able to truely judge the average MPG

Having said that I'm more than happy with mine, I visit the petrol station a lot less frequently that with my old 1.4 mk3 - It would barely do 35mpg once you went over 70

Belmont Turbo

Feb 9, 2010
mine averages around 38!!! i did get it up to 53 once but had to drive mind nomingley slow mines only cover 3500 miles but ive only had it 5 weeks..

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
Took the car up north this weekend and got average 45 mpg ! Lots better than my 27MPG clio HAHA.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Just used my first tank of diesel and got an overall average of 54mpg off of it. Have to say I am very pleased with the efficiency so far.

The best I managed on a single journey was 65.2mpg on a 24 mile run, I was so pleased I took a picture of the digital display! How sad is that...........................

Nearly as sad as posting it here I suppose............

Ibiza_02.jpg

Belmont Turbo

Feb 9, 2010
mines a company car so i don't pay for the fuel so i don't drive it economically very often if i had to pay i would try harder lol

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Thats the thing that has taken me by surprise, I am not driving it for economy just driving normally. But I do pay for my fuel so am quite pleased.....LOL

Last edited:

gaffer1986

I am very please with the economy round town and at slow speeds i.e. 12 mile journey average speed 18 MPH i get 52 mpg quiet easily and my old Mk4 Ibiza 1.9 TDI 130 would get 47 mpg

However 70 mph it really struggles to acheive 50 mpg when my old 1.9 would easily get 60 - 64 mpg. I am still assuming its running itself in but find it difficult to beleive that it takes 10000 miles to loosen up. I have covered 2200 miles and have a 150 mile 70 mph journey on saturday. I will keep and eye on what it does.

But the first journey i did 150 miles 70 mph i achieved 70 mpg????????? that was with 10 miles on the clock. Seems to be getting worse.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I am very please with the economy round town and at slow speeds i.e. 12 mile journey average speed 18 MPH i get 52 mpg quiet easily and my old Mk4 Ibiza 1.9 TDI 130 would get 47 mpg
But the first journey i did 150 miles 70 mph i achieved 70 mpg????????? that was with 10 miles on the clock. Seems to be getting worse.
The ONLY true MPG is tank brim full to tank brim full and record the mileage's. The display's are not at all accurate !! & the DPF's regen consume fuel, if you do a lot of short journey's

gillian & james

Feb 28, 2010
1 MONTH ON!!!

Just thought I'd comment after a month and 700 miles.

I've done exactly as oldoiler has said, and it is the only true way to get exact mpg.

And mixed driving (bit of town and bit of motorway) but taking it easy, its achieved 52.3mpg on a tank full.

Quite happy with that so far :)

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Economy has improved quite a bit recently for me. I got 62MPG on a short 10 mile trip yesterday and I'm close to getting 600 miles on the current tank of fuel.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I gave the Ibiza a good workout today, a 600 mile round trip Bedlington to London and back to Bedlington.

When I set off I didn't have a full tank of fuel, I had already done about 100 miles of mixed driving. I had set my trip meter, so when I got to London, I re-fueled and worked out my consumption. On the journey down (plus my other 100 miles) the Ibiza managed 62mpg. I am pretty pleased with that as we encountered all kinds of traffic jams, roadworks and accidents on the way. Coincidentally the fuel computer said for the journey to London we had done..... 62mpg.

The return journey was less congested and had less hold up's. I will need to fill the tank up to check the actual consumption but the onboard computer said we had achieved 70mpg. If that works out to be right, I shall be very happy.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members