1.8 Tsi Valve cleaning

Feb 11, 2022
Hello everybody! Thank you for accepting me here! I have just recently brought a 2012 Seat Altea XL here in Mexico with the CDAA (2nd gen, I believe) 1.8 tsi engine and 7 speed DSG. I absolutely love the car, after trading up from a 2008 Hyundai Accent. The DSG is also a revelation for me too as it is the first DSG car I have driven. I needed a car I could still play with, but also an auto for the wife, and space for the kids and dog, and this car fit the bill quite nicely for our budget. The car has just ticked over 100,000km (60,000mi) and the dreaded carbon build up on the valves seems to be making itself known. The car has the slight misfire at cold start up and fuel economy has suffered recently. I took the car for its 105,000km service the other day and they did a BOYA cleaning on the injectors, which has certainly helped, and they insisted it would help to clean the valves, even though the car is direct injection..... Anyways, the car still has poor fuel economy and the cold start misfire. I have researched the job of cleaning the valves and would like to tackle it myself as I am mechanically minded and love a challenge(which these engines apparently are). I know the engine is common across the VAG range, but I can't seem to find information on cleaning the valves on this specific engine. Is it fairly similar to the 2.0 tsi? There are plenty of walk-through videos on that engine on the internet. Also, are there any specific tools that I may need? The job at the dealer here would be north of $10,000pesos, so I don’t mind investing in some tools to get the job done. Any hints and tips or being pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise