2014 Ibiza owner

sparkplug

Apr 6, 2023
Found the forum when searching for how to wire my new DAB antenna (looking for a source for switched live to connect it to)

Looks like a mine of useful info so I've decided to join. Might be a while until I can really contribute as this is my first car since 1997!

Motorbikes are my thing.

sparkplug

Apr 6, 2023
Hi Seastormer,

Thank you for the welcome!

Last few cars I had in the late 90s were Citroen 2CVs. Wish I'd kept them now seeing the money they go for these days. Most I ever paid for one was £600. Cheapest one was a swap for an old kitchen blender!

Skinny tyres, would lean when going round corners, flat twin.... Moving to motorbikes was almost inevitable!

I've had a combo of bikes and a van for years. If you need to get somewhere take the bike, if you need to carry something use the van.

New job needs me to turn up looking presentable to customer sites which can be done on the bike but it's a bit of a faff - plus the bike isn't ULEZ compliant anywhere as it's 23 years old. Van insurance for commercial use is astronomical so an older ULEZ compliant car made sense - although the irony of adding a third vehicle in order to comply with Environmental zones isn't lost on me....

Was gifted the Ibiza, so can't complain at that. Decent little car, does what I need it to do and starting to learn a little bit more about it. Have only done 1,000 miles or so in it so still settling in.

I need hands free calling so have spent a bit of time today ripping out the OEM stereo, the glovebox and the centre console so that I can route extension cables down to the new switch for the hazards and airbag light.

Next task is to rip the headliner off so I can swap the OEM antenna for a DAB one. Not looking forward to that especially but not working tomorrow so I've got a clear day to figure it all out.

The only missing piece of the puzzle right now is where to find power for the new antenna. The rest I've figured out (I think).

Multimeter at the ready for tomorrow as well then.

sparkplug

Apr 6, 2023
Managed to figure out how to remove the glovebox, centre console, rear trim panels and headliner and was sort of relieved at that stage to find that the wiring runs all the way down to the floor rather than across the roof.

However, this meant removing door seals, more floor level panels, the B pillar panel...

I've certainly had my money's worth out of my cheap set of panel removal tools.

Remarkably, I managed not to lose a single screw. The only casualties in the process were three plastic fasteners (one from the centre console and the two headliner ones)

New head unit arrives tomorrow so the last bit of trim removal will be to route the microphone somewhere and then we'll find out if I've done all my wiring correctly!

Just need to find a source for replacement headliner fasteners. I'm sure I'm not the first to have broken them.

Reactions: Seastormer
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.