280mm brakes fitted.....

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Spent the weekend servicing the Ibiza and fitting new brakes all round, inc. 280mm callipers etc from a Mk3 Ibiza ;)

All I can say is...... what a b@stard of a job I had trying to undo the centre nut holding the brake disc onto the hub !!!! Even managed to bend the extension bar out of my 1/2" drive socket set, trying to do it !!!

Eventually managed it, using alot of WD40, time, and some sheer brute force !!! ;)

Other than that, it actually went quite well considering it's been sooo damn hot today!

I've fitted standard ATE discs all round, with std ATE pads on the rear, but I've fitted a set or Ferrodo Race pads on the front !! :D (got the race pads for £6 off Ebay!!! ;) )

Had fun bedding the brakes in though ;) There's a nice road about 5mins from here, with plenty of straight stretches and some twisty stuff to. Performed several 60-10mph stops fairly close together, to get some heat into the pads.... I could see a cloud of smoke/brake fumes after the first couple !!! Then went for a 10min drive without using the brakes, to let them cool down. Then did several more 60-10mph stops. Reckon that's done the trick :D

Just used std DOT 4 brake fluid this time round, but might look at using DOT 5.1 when I fit braided hoses in the future.

Also managed to fix the blowing exhuast, with the aid of a wad of Gun-Gum and a new exhaust clamp..... need to re-align the exhaust though, as it's now banging alot under hard acceleration :(

Andy

ACH

Mar 7, 2005
Over there
I've got a 2.0 8v agg as well with 280mm setup. I'm running ATE power discs (them cam shapes cut into the disc) along with ferrodo ds2500 and recently changed dot4 fluid. Can't fault the setup to be honest, except from cold they are perhaps not as good as when they've got a bit of temperature in them :)

For a fast road setup on the 8v ibizas i'd rate it as my best mod so far :)
Tempted to get some braided lines and decent 5.1 fluid but for the cash I don't think its really needed and I do regularly bray the brakes so I think its fine for the time being.

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
I've got Ferrodo DS2500 pads on my 256mm setup and really rate them - definitely the best pads I've had on the car.

andyj

found a nice bit of handy info this morning... .after I'd spent hours trying to undo the hub nut....

"you don't need to remove the driveshaft nut to remove the disc...... once you've removed the little scre, just give it a whack with a BFH"

Dooh !!!! lesson learnt !!! ;)

Last edited:

ACH

Mar 7, 2005
Over there
I was gonna say why were you removing that :s but thought you were doing something else while on the job.

That said though the little screws can be pains to get out which is why ive left mine off all together.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
andyj said:
found a nice bit of handy info this morning... .after I'd spent hours trying to undo the hub nut....

"you don't need to remove the driveshaft nut to remove the disc...... once you've removed the little scre, just give it a whack with a BFH"

i was too drunk to type a reply last night as to why your had undid the hub?!?!?!?!

andyj

yeah alright, I'll get my coat !!! ;) At least I know what needs doing when I come to fit the 256's to Em's Ibiza, as I'll need to fit new hubs etc.

Feel a bit of a d1ck to be honest !!!

Luke, yeah the relay got here fine matey :) Didn't need it though to be honest, as the fault was down to a gunked up throttle body !! ;)

It's all coming together nicely now though :D

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
andyj said:

:wtf:

You're pulling my leg?:confused:

slipper

When you changed the fluid did you have to do anything special? I was going to change mine - got the fluid and a bleed kit - then read in Haynes not to touch ABS systems!!!

I would hate to have to go to a garage just to get the brake fluid changed - any help much appreciated!!

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
the hub nut you were undoing, have you torqued it up again?

from memory it needs one hell of a torque on it