3rd brake light cable colour

Hollow

Does anybody know, what colour is the cable for 3rd brake light? In that rubber thing, where all the cables go to the 5-th doors, there are many cables, which of them is for brake light?

The situation is, that 3rd brake light doesn't work, I think cable went wrong, so I want to put direct cable from the brake lights to the 3rd one.

Thanks

Hollow
Leon mk1 FR tdi '06 aka Yellow Chicken

Hollow

Might be the brake light at fault, rather than the wiring to it.

So I want to check, becouse I don't know how to remove 3rd brake light easily.

Does all the light go down at one time? I mean, that there are 9 or 10 little bulbs in it? Or am I wrong?

Hollow

Might be the brake light at fault, rather than the wiring to it.

So I want to check, becouse I don't know how to remove 3rd brake light easily.

Does all the light go down at one time? I mean, that there are 9 or 10 little bulbs in it? Or am I wrong?

mALLA

Apr 19, 2006
Sussex
Third brake light removal (from memory). Task = 1-2 Hours depending on hand size / patience.

If you have the Cupra R spoiler, you will need to remove three bolts (inside the boot), one of which is concealed by the plastic surround which is inside the top of the boot. The bolts have little rubber helmets on them.

Undo the bolts (i think they are either 8mm or 10mm) and you will find there are two plastic clips in-between the three bolts (exterior to the car - in between the spoiler and the roof, it should just pull off.

You will have a long wire going from the brake light into the big grommet in the centre of the car roof.

Remove the grommet and unplug the connector, making sure the connector doesn’t fall in too far or you won’t get it out again. (when putting it back together make sure you use abit of silicon around the grommet to stop any water getting in)

To remove the third brake light from the spoiler, you will need to remove the two pieces of black tape, which cover to entry holes. You will then need a long thin Phillips screw driver to undo the two screws which hold the brake light in place (right inside and at the back of the spoiler). Once these are undone you must unclip the centre clip of the brake light unit itself which holds it into the spoiler.

PM if your stuck. At the first instance, i would just remove the spoiler and unplug the connector, get someone to put their foot on the brake and get a multi-meter in the connector holes.

KEVINTHEGERBILE

Is it always the light unit that goes wrong?
If so how much is a replacement?

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Is there any cracks in the lense cover where water could get in?

Changing it is not that hard, you need to remove the plastic covers in the boot so you can get to the 3 bolts at the top to take the spoiler off so you can remove the brake light from it.

I think it costs about £40 for the unit

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.