5th gear.... whats the point?

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Pfft.. That episode was one of the best ever! I thought it was hilarious! :)

And I'm sure a Leon did appear on Top Gear, albeit very briefly.. :p

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Er...Sadly, NO.

A photo of a Cupra appeared in the previous series and Clarkson slagged it off.

5th gear, on the other hand, track tested the Leon (Tiffany) and concluded that it was more stylish and better value than the Golf. :D

I enjoy a good laugh, like anyone but it would be nice if TG was at least loosely based on cars, not just JC's ego. :ban:

Ironically having suffered the horror that was the Vietnam farce, I then stayed with BBC2 for the next program about the Millie Miglia with James Martin, a really interesting and enteraining documentary...for me that is what Top Gear should be doing !

I really like the other progs JC, (He's done some really good documentarys) May and Hammond do, but I think they should get either get Top Gear back to cars or call it the Jeremy Clarkson show... [:@]

Last edited:

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
I think people are missing the whole point of TG, yes they all drive fast cars blah blah blah but I find it entertaining on a different level.

Topgear is a light hearted look at the cars, sure JC has a big ego but without this it wouldn't be the same. The fact it pulls more viewers that F.G. must mean they have got the entertainment mix just right.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
well worth the licence fee.

its an all round damn good entertaining program and when its not on Sunday nights are bloody boring !

you should try reading one of clarksons books , some of the funniest things i have read.

on the other hand tiff and plato are so far up their own orifices that i find it dull and condescending.
just my opion of corse :whistle:

Jedimaster65

Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Top Gear = Total Garbage !

Hey, I am not Victor Meldrew, you know ! :lol:

I think people are not really noticing just how far TG is getting from it's original quality, even since the relaunch, where, yes there was tons of humour, but you were in no doubt that cars were the vehicle for the program.
Cars didn't even feature in the Xmas special, and I didn't think that presenting Hammond with a remarkably beautiful wooden galleon model which was then smashed to pieces was either funny or entertaining. :cry:

Clarkson hides behind the myth that anyone critisizing him is PC or left wing in some way, (I am neither) but if the BBC are not prepared to reign in the adolescent stupidity of this show, then they should let the rest of us who want a program about cars to have a new show...
Or reduce the licence fee so I can go off and watch Plato (someone who really is qualified to assess supercars) & Co and avoid this silly hour-long BBC2 teenage program they currently offer.

Even geezer Mike Brewer offers more insight and information on "Pulling power" than the BBC little boys... ;)

Sorry if I seem very grumpy lads, just my opinion of course, but the whole "Vietnam on motorscooters" thing really was the final straw for me ! :banghead:

Last edited:

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Erm...for those of you slagging off our Tiffany, Vicki, the beardy blokes and Plato, try to cast your minds back to the "Top Gear Xmas special"...riding motor scooters in Vietnam ??? PLEASE !!!

:wtf:

Did anyone find that Fascile piece of garbage :

A) Entertaining

B) Informative

C) Interesting

D) Though provoking

E) A good use of 1.25 hours of BBC airtime and our licence fee ?

To think I wasted over an hour of my life watching the drivel and I want it back ! [:@]

At least Fifth Gear actually test cars we might all buy ... When did any Leon actually appear on Top Gear ?

Answer...never !

The BBC has a responsibility to "inform and entertain" (it's in their charter) ...- that program did neither!

Simple solution DON'T WATCH IT

Never understand pathetic moans about TV programmes. ;)

Jedimaster65

Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
You must have thought that so profound you posted it twice ! Lol !

Anyway, you started it being nasty to my Fifth Gear pals ! (Especially poor Tiffany !) :rolleyes:

By giving TG a well deserved good kicking, I bring much needed balance ! :laser:

Last edited:

Moley RUFC

Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
''SOUND OF JOKE FLYING OVER A JEDI MASTER HEAD''

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

That is why I added a wink as it was meant to refer to my first comment in the first...........oh leave it :confused:

Last edited:

Moley RUFC

Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Sniff ! Don't pick on me, It's just that I miss William Wollard and Noel Edmonds !

:cry:

Just for you mate

arippon.jpg

cupralite

Nov 26, 2004
Warrington
Erm...for those of you slagging off our Tiffany, Vicki, the beardy blokes and Plato, try to cast your minds back to the "Top Gear Xmas special"...riding motor scooters in Vietnam ??? PLEASE !!!

:wtf:

Did anyone find that Fascile piece of garbage :

A) Entertaining - yes, very

B) Informative - not really

C) Interesting - yes

D) Though provoking - not desperately, it wasn't supposed to be.

E) A good use of 1.25 hours of BBC airtime and our licence fee ? - yes, especially when compared to Strictly Come Dancing

To think I wasted over an hour of my life watching the drivel and I want it back ! [:@]

At least Fifth Gear actually test cars we might all buy ... When did any Leon actually appear on Top Gear ?

Answer...never !

The BBC has a responsibility to "inform and entertain" (it's in their charter) ...- that program did neither!

so there :whistle:

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
I enjoyed the xmas special purely because it showed how diverse the countryside and weather in Vietnam are..... I actually fancy going there and doing a scooter trip myself, looked great.

I'll get my coat now. :whistle:

PS, what does this thread have to do with MK2 Leons? Thought most of the SEAT range come with an option for 6 gears depending on engine choice?

Jedimaster65

Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Oooh ! Sorry !

I didn't realise there were so many of you who like this utter dumbing down of TV (BB, Jungle nonsense, Sickly come dancing and X factor crud) ! :mad:

Consider this though...what's the difference ???

Half of the so called - "Star" in the reasonbly priced car - are the same so-called "celebrities" we get on these other pathetic TV offerings, so wouldn't it be nice to have an interesting program about cars ? It could be educational, informative, humerous, thought provoking and useful for those 3 of us actually thinking of buying a new car soon...
But, - Oh, silly me, - of course I forgot...we already have this program, - it's called "FIFTH GEAR" ! (Ch5, 8pm Mondays). :p

A little more useful as a motoring program than 3 blokes getting dunk, acting childishly, and riding motorscooters like the Chavs on my local high street...It's just more of the Johnathan Ross illness that is destroying the BBC. :(

Clarkson even has the cheek to charge us a tenner for his "Thriller" DVD which has more of the traditional Top Gear ingredients that we should be getting for our licence fee... :no:

Yours Victor Meldrew... Lol, Lol, Lol !!! :lol:

kingkongsfinger

Feb 16, 2005
Bolton
I agree 2 fat presenters, 1 lesbian, 1 geeky student, 1 good driver who needs a job, 1 ex-driver who nearly killed Nigel Mansell. Fifth Gear IT'S A SHOCKER................:headhurt:

Please dont tell me VBH is a lesbo, I would till her toe nails fell off.

Oh hang on though... All my fantasys rolled into one, VBH another lesbo and me, GAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::redface::funk:[B)]:happy:;)

af1

Feb 17, 2008
well, my cars only got 5 gears so i think there is quite a lot of point really, otherwise id be burning about at high revs everywhere!!