6Spd Gearbox Oil Change Procedure

paul m

Apologies if this has been covered before, I've done a few searches in the archives but been unable to find anything - I had a similar thread running in TDi's, but assume the box is common to the petrol cars so hoping to get a bit more exposure in this forum.....

Basically, my box is a bit noisey & before I get into changing expensive bits I figured I'd try some new gearbox oil to see if that helps. What I would like to know is:

1: does anyone have any photos / diagrams showing the drain & refill plug locations?
2: What is the oil capacity on a 6spd box as fitted to an '05 TDi150 Leon FR?
3: Think I'm going to try this as its a little thicker & I'm hoping it will help quieten the box down - I assume this will mix fine with the OEM stuff, if any is left in the box post-draining?
4: are there any special tools required?

If anyone has carried this out & has any other useful tips / or can comment on whether it made much difference I'd be grateful to hear from them

paul m

bump. Can nobody help?! Am especially interested in the location of the drain and refill points. Also, where to get the splined tool from which i think you need to undo one of them.

georgebibizafr

Apr 12, 2009
Cheshire uk.
I don't know for sure, but most cars are the same or similar, there will be a drain plug at the bottom, and a refill hole usually about halfway up the gearbox casing, can sometimes be very awkward to fill up,As for oil to use again i don't know specifically what VW reccomend, but any 75w/90 fully synthetic gearbox oil should be fine. Most drain plugs and refill plugs uses hex/allen key heads, possibly torx, spline or security torx, Seally tools sell a set with lots of different allen/hex/torx bits etc. Only about £20 and will always be useful when working on your car.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
If its the same as a lcr the drain plug is a E20 (i think) tamperproof spline. I modified a socket i baught from halfords to get them off. the filler plug is on the front of the box using the exact same plug as the drain so you cant miss it.

Use the vw spec oil think its 75w 80 or 90 not sure off the top of my head?

Make sure you open the filler FIRST just to make sure it comes out ok. then undo the drain.

Ensure the car is level and leave to drain

Put back in the drain plug and then to fill put a piece of hose pipe about a metre long in the filler hole and route it up through the engine bay

pour the oil in through the hose till it runs out the hole about 2.5 litres is what you need.

Hope this helps mate a really easy job to do.

turbin

anyone used Redline MT90?

I did for a while. But after I put in Redline the synch didnt feel right when it was cold. So I changed back to OEM stuff. Now I have 3rd gear synch problems. Not sure if its related...

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
You should know, you get all the OpieOils emails lol
Im not sure off the top of my head but it were that much and i get 3 bottles of it