A first on a mk2...

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
Noticed my inbox getting filled with updates on this thread....

Car is long gone, traded it in as it stood down near Birmingham.

Now running a Civic Type R - Night and day compared to the shittyness of the Seat :)

FR_Flavoured

Yeah yeah, you will say that now, considering you've "moved on" and sold your Leon. :whistle:

There's also people that have gone from Honda to SEAT (Leon), and say the same about the Honda, plus how much better the (performance) Leon is in comparsion. :p

Anyway, the 'middle' facelift Type R was the best shape, still had that mean stance of the first Type R, a little more refined and less 'boy racer'. The latest facelift just looks bland, like a 'wedge' of cheese! lol. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Noticed my inbox getting filled with updates on this thread....

Car is long gone, traded it in as it stood down near Birmingham.

Now running a Civic Type R - Night and day compared to the shittyness of the Seat :)

Give a time you'll be back.
As for night and day it depends what you want from a car, But all the great reliablilty for Honda is a lot of rubbish they are as bad as anything else.
See you back within a year or so mate:D

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
wow, you've gone with an n/a Civic and prefer it to the SEAT? what makes you prefer that over the Leon?

The leon fell to bits both mechanically and bodywork wise. I had a honda before the leon and had no problems what so ever with it, so decided to go back to tried and tested. My parents owned a honda for over 10 years with not 1 issue either.

The Leon had the following issues;
Water leaking in at the front footwell
Water leaking in at the rear end (filling up the spare wheel well)
DMF Failure
Clutch Failure
EGR failure
Throttle body (or waterver the fancy name is for it these days)
Turbo losing boost every so often
Rust on bootlid
Paint begining to bubble on front arches
Exhaust bracket broke resulting in the twin exit falling off.
Seat height adjuster on drivers side jammed and broke

On top of all the above, loads of rattles.

I looked to getting rid of the car over a space of 1 year, in which time i said it was ****, will stillsay its **** and it has completly put me off buying another Vag car again.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
The leon fell to bits both mechanically and bodywork wise. I had a honda before the leon and had no problems what so ever with it, so decided to go back to tried and tested. My parents owned a honda for over 10 years with not 1 issue either.

DMF Failure
Clutch Failure
EGR failure
Rust on bootlid

I looked to getting rid of the car over a space of 1 year, in which time i said it was ****, will stillsay its **** and it has completly put me off buying another Vag car again.

Bloody hell, that's bad luck fella, sorry to hear that. Were you not even tempted to get another forced unductin car though? Everytime i drive a non turbo / supercharged car, it feels like im constantly waiting for the fun to happen. My mate used to have a Typr R, the one before the current model, nice car but not my cup of tea, there was no potential with it, 200bhp ish for as long as you have it. Whereas the mk2 leon, 240 standard, when you get bored, remap . 300, when you get bored, exhaust, stage2, stage 2 + etc.

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
Bloody hell, that's bad luck fella, sorry to hear that. Were you not even tempted to get another forced unductin car though? Everytime i drive a non turbo / supercharged car, it feels like im constantly waiting for the fun to happen. My mate used to have a Typr R, the one before the current model, nice car but not my cup of tea, there was no potential with it, 200bhp ish for as long as you have it. Whereas the mk2 leon, 240 standard, when you get bored, remap . 300, when you get bored, exhaust, stage2, stage 2 + etc.

Simple really - too many things to go wrong.

You really need to drive the Type R over time to see what its really made of. I myself used to think like others, aw they are slow, rev like ****, only 200 bhp and go no where etc. The drive is something else.

S.E.C.T.

kiss my face
Jun 14, 2009
The North

DMF Failure
Clutch Failure
EGR failure
Rust on bootlid

That is terrible luck - Ive had three Seats and not had any issues at all

FR_Flavoured

That is terrible luck - Ive had three Seats and not had any issues at all

Ditto, I've owned 2 SEATS (Ibiza and my current FR) over the last 6 years, never had anything as bad as that list above (just a DPF regen + sensor, at the dealer with my current FR).
God damn it, I even owned a Renault 5 GT Turbo as my daily drive for 3 years, work and play, and that thing NEVER broke down once!!! LOL. 15+ yr old car ! :lol:

notorious_d

Notorious_D
Jun 7, 2017
Simple really - too many things to go wrong.

You really need to drive the Type R over time to see what its really made of. I myself used to think like others, aw they are slow, rev like ****, only 200 bhp and go no where etc. The drive is something else.

Oh Dear :blink:

I went from a 09 FN2 Type R to my K1 (TDi North tuned, milltek exhaust, HKS Mushroom Intake , Skunk 2 inlet etc = 230+hp!). Great engine noise, great handling, loads of gadgets inside etc.... but it lacked 'jizz factor' :lol: Very few jap cars look as good as the VAG motors nowadays.

Going into the K1 - There was a huge jump in power, much better looks and general scene points.... I am no longer called a boy racer at work!!

I probably would never go back to a n/a now, turbo FTW :lol: however the boys at Honda know how to make a great car.

Each to their own, I personally think I'm 'too old' for a Type R now.

My 2 pennies :thanks:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.