About to do my first service/oil change - tips!....

shorn

Jan 13, 2007
Ok thought I would post up a little update!

Woke up this morning ready to do the oil change, and was disappointed to see it bloody raining! Still I decided to crack on! Popped to Halfords first to pick up a 150pc Pro Spanner and Socket set, that I had ordered last night from the website (£199 down to £99.99, with 10% off so only £89.99!) also picked up a drain can for the old oil.

Got back and brought car round to the garage, jacked up, on Axle Stands and ready to go.

Undid the filter housing no probs and removed the old filter. Now at this point I made a bit of a boo-boo! I decided to run the engine for a bit to warm the oil up a bit, completely forgetting that I had the filter out and cap off! Oil shot up out of the filter housing quite quickly making a fair of mess, and I leapt into action and shut the engine off as quick as I could. Hopefully this wouldn't have caused any damage, but I'm sure someone will tell me if it has!
Anyhow I cracked on, cleaned up the mess, replaced the oil filter (and O rings), drained the oil (relatively cleanly) and replaced the sump plug with a new one.

All bits and bobs replaced, and then filled up with the full 4L of new oil. Run the engine a bit, checked levels and topped up with half of the 1L, bringing the level to just about right.

I also replaced the air filter whilst I was at it!

So all done, everything seems fine, and was actually a lot easier than I thought, despite my mistake!

I'm sure the next time will be even smoother!

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
n1 bud and i bet the grease monkeys at the garage never make mistakes!!!! I have had to plug 1 or 2 pipes wires back in in my previous car when it came out the garage the oil thing should be fine as when the new filter is put in itll take a few seconds to fill up anyway

brad1

aslong as you didnt drain it from the sump, and it was only on for a few seconds before you turned it off, it should be fine mate
i might be wrong, but the way i do it, is first drain the sump and then remove the filter, as before i did filter first and it was filled with oil, and made a mess.
just something to keep in mind ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise