Air filters, induction kits and roaring engines..

tomd1338

Nov 2, 2009
I've seen on other forums that people have been fitting OEM s2000 air filters in place of induction kits with good results.
ha7u8y2u.jpg

There's a guy running one on a 350bhp S3, so should be good enough for my Cupra right. :) I bought the filter for £13 from euro car parts but the fitment is too large :( I may buy an adaptor to see if I can get it to fit.

While I was fiddling around in my airbox I took out the OEM filter and had a look at it. The filter is a cylinder paper filter with a blue foam around it, weird.
ety8ajep.jpg

So I've taken the blue foam off the paper element and there seems to be more induction roar.:D

The only thing I'm wondering is what could be the damage from doing this? The paper filter is still there, and doesn't have any holes in it so I'm sure it is filtering dirty air from getting into the engine bay... But the blue foam would have been an extra layer of filtration I guess??

Thoughts, advice and abuse all appreciated!

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
Is that green thing an OEM S2000 filter? So do you put that in the original box? or do you take out the oem ibiza airfilterbox completely?

I dont think there is a big difference with any other open air filter, meaning more hot air in is a lil bit less power but more roaaar/sound.

tomd1338

Nov 2, 2009
Yes the green one is an OEM s2000, pint of milk for comparison :). Take out the airbox and cold air feed and place this onto the intake pipe.

I don't think the "hot air=equals less power" thing counts with our cars. I am stage one with a twintercooler, the hot air is sucked into a VERY hot turbo then into the intercooler which cools the air down.. This is where the air NEEDS to be cold as it is denser and the engine can take in more oxygen. More oxygen=better combustion=better power.

I think??? Haha.

My main worry is whether taking off that piece of blue foam from the Cupra paper element will matter.. I don't think it should but wondered if any one knew.

Aug 3, 2011
Long story short,no. Its there I think to protect the paper filter from water ect but I wouldn't say its needed tbh. I ran mine without For ages until I got the forge kit.

Jay

Mar 13, 2010
It would suggest that open cones would have more benefit to people with aftermarket intercoolers as its cools the air much better than the standard one, more air does increase power.

tomd1338

Nov 2, 2009
Jay that makes sense, probably costs them 20p for the tiny bit of protection. Did it make much difference on your car? How is the forge compared?

Noise, power etc.

Aug 3, 2011
No difference taking the sock off.

Forge kit isnt very liked on hete, and in standard form, I agree, but I Have
IMG_20130215_143418.jpg
mine set up differently, like this.

To me it gives good gains and sounds brilliant.

Jay

Last edited:

tomd1338

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah yours looks much better, no kink in the piping.

Did you move the battery or is yours in the boot anyway? Also, what is that second filter, catchtank?

Mar 13, 2010
I think jays was in the boot anyway, thats the breather pipe by the looks if it, either flows into the airbox or you put a small filter on it.

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah its the crankcase breather pipe that normally flows into the air filter, on the 90degree bend you will see a little nipple for the pipe to be attached to the air intake. Battery was in the boot as standard on mine yeah.

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
I have a 'Green' cone cotton filter fitted in the factory airbox (modified) see youtube - 'MK5 Ibiza Cupra uprated air filter' . the one you have may be too tall to fit. This conversion costs about £100 and works, though you have to drop the front bumper to remove plastic/derestrict air flow to intake pipe behind grill to work properly. Filter is rated to 400bhp.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise