Alarm going off randomly

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Meon Valley, Hampshire, UK.
If it’s not one thing, it’s another, right? Getting the infotainment software updated to 1940 really sorted out the last of my personal niggles with the car.

That is, until last Sunday when the alarm went off twice, then once again during the week, then again yesterday. I got the CONNECT notification each time, but the reason was different every time. I’ve had movement outside, movement inside, and yesterday’s was something about ambient something-or-other in the car. I would have noted it down, but in a fit of petulance I deleted the notification.

I do have a NextBase F&R dashcam fitted, and it’s hard-wired, but not to a permanent live, so it’s not draining the battery.

I wouldn’t have thought the alarm system was more sensitive from the 1940 upgrade, but there are many mysteries to owning a Formentor. Is the sensitivity even a user-changeable option anywhere (I have looked)?

Anyone have any experience of this or any clues as to what could be causing it? I’ve seen a couple of threads from searching here, but no real clues from those.

I’d love to get this sorted without yet another trip to the dealer, but the car’s going to be in a car park at Gatwick for nearly two weeks soon…

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
That's a new one on me!

You could try turning off the internal sensor (I do this regularly when my dog is inside) and there should be a another switch somewhere for anti towing, or if it's on a ferry for example. I've never looked but there should be one, other cars I've had did have one.

If you try these then those srnsors will be isolated and the alarm should only go off if doors/boot/bonnet are opened. Might help you track down the problem.

If it works you could set them 'off' whilst you're parked up at Gatwick for a couple of weeks maybe? Not so easy if you're using valet parking though!

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Well, quite.

I took the car out for a decent run yesterday, so that should discount any battery-related issues - car’s only done a few very short runs in the last few weeks - so when or if it happens again, I’ll turn off the internal monitoring, and if happens again I’ll disconnect the dashcam.

Clock’s ticking, though.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Can't see it being a battery problem tbh especially if the dashcam doesn't have a permanent live feed. My car goes unused for several days at a time, and I do have a hardwired and permanently live fed F&R dashcam (Thinkware Q800 Pro). No issues to date.

Good luck with it, I hope you solve it.

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
I agree, it’s a long shot.

I was advised by the dashcam fitters - order with the cam from NextBase - that NextBase don’t recommend a permanently live feed, which was my preferred option as the car is parked on the street. Wonder how easy it is to switch it…

Same, if I discover anything useful I’ll post back here.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I used AVR Installs who I'd previously used on my previous car. Fitted on the drive, same chap both times. Never missed a beat tbh.
Mine will last about 3 days or so when parked up, depending how many times it triggers. Its set to shut down automatically if the battery voltage drops. Can't remember what it's set at but it's at the highest level just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: Fencer60

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
RS Connect for me. They did a cracking job, and double-checked the DAB to confirm all was well.

In theory, the battery in the NextBase will last a few days, but I’ve never tested to see if it triggers if the car is bumped. Might try tomorrow and pull the SD card to see if there’s any correlation with the alerts I got (I found the emails).

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Just to document this publicly, I have also noticed what I will describe as "alarm anomalies". I believe it's directly related to the 1940 update as these did not occur previously on 1899.

Occasional anomaly #1: When opening the driver door (via keyless entry) from a locked state, the indicators will flash rapidly, akin to the alarm being triggered briefly (silently).

Rare anomaly #2: Opening and closing the tailgate from a locked state, the alarm sounded a few seconds later after locking the vehicle again via remote keypress.

I have not been able to recreate the issues on demand.

So I believe the main prerequisites is that the vehicle: A) must be locked B) must be in a (deep) sleep state.

None of my alarm modules store any DTCs.

I will be approaching the dealership with this issue, as I happen to be visiting soon, so I'll update if I have anything to report on.

But just considering my personal findings so far; it's almost like there is an issue with the wake up sequencing on 1940. Like the alarm isn't deactivating (or lagging) so - for a moment - it still thinks the vehicle is supposed to be locked after opening the drivers door with the key and trips the alarm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fencer60

st4niu

Dec 22, 2022
Just to document this publicly, I have also noticed what I will describe as "alarm anomalies". I believe it's directly related to the 1940 update as these did not occur previously on 1899.

Occasional anomaly #1: When opening the driver door (via keyless entry) from a locked state, the indicators will flash rapidly, akin to the alarm being triggered briefly (silently).

Rare anomaly #2: Opening and closing the tailgate from a locked state, the alarm sounded a few seconds later after locking the vehicle again via remote keypress.

I have not been able to recreate the issues on demand.

So I believe the main prerequisites is that the vehicle: A) must be locked B) must be in a (deep) sleep state.

None of my alarm modules store any DTCs.

I will be approaching the dealership with this issue, as I happen to be visiting soon, so I'll update if I have anything to report on.

But just considering my personal findings so far; it's almost like there is an issue with the wake up sequencing on 1940. Like the alarm isn't deactivating (or lagging) so - for a moment - it still thinks the vehicle is supposed to be locked after opening the drivers door with the key and trips the alarm.
My brother had simillar problem but with Cupra Leon shortly after installing 1940 update. His alarm went off and he couldn't stop it via remote unlock or anything. He could even start the car and drive it with alarm siren and indicators going on crazy. Then he managed to shut it off by opening and closing the front lid. I don't remember exactly but I think he mentioned he opened the tailgate from a button on the car while the the doors were closed. So could be like yours anomaly #2. Since then and it's been like probably 2 months already it never happened again. All this is related to factory alarm installed by Cupra at the factory. He doesn't have any other security addons installed or dash cams or anything else.

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Very interesting.

Any experience like this (no matter how rare we think it is) I think it's still useful to see what others have experienced and try correlate what the culprit might be from the symptoms, especially in these intermittent cases which are the worse to diagnose.

It took the alarm actually going off in my anomaly #2 for me to start paying attention tbh. But unlike your brother, I was able to quickly stop the alarm sounding by unlocking the Formentor using the key fob. But actually driving around with the alarm going off is crazy, I think it points again to some kind of module communication / sleeping / crashing issue and there are 4 alarm modules in OBDeleven.

Otherwise, I'm on standard factory alarm, no power draining accessories plugged in.

I'm personally keen to get the reports in early as possible so update 19## or whatever comes with this issue fixed on the changelog. Then again, maybe it's all just remaining processes from the 1940 update still processing after weeks. I know the alarm system does have it's own battery source, so even if disconnecting the 12V, you can never truly restart such a thing.

Also I've been trying to film my anomaly #1 for a couple days now without any luck.

Last edited:

st4niu

Dec 22, 2022
It took the alarm actually going off in my anomaly #2 for me to start paying attention tbh. But unlike your brother, I was able to quickly stop the alarm sounding by unlocking the Formentor using the key fob. But actually driving around with the alarm going off is crazy, I think it points again to some kind of module communication / sleeping / crashing issue and there are 4 alarm modules in OBDeleven.
Yea, he couldn't stop it by the remote. He tried locking the car and unlocking multiple times. Then he got angry and started the car like he would normally do lol and decided to drive away. He wanted to repark the car away from the buildings because it was like 22:00 and he didn't wanna make much noise and then call assistance to help him with the alarm. It's crazy to think that despite alarm turned on he could start the engine and drive away. Makes me think about whole point of using the car alarm...After driving away a bit he called me and I told him to maybe open the front lid and try to disconnect the battery and reconnect it but as soon as he opened it - siren turned off. I never had any problem with 1940 on my Formentor and I know factory car alarms are what they are to be honest but if this **** happens on it's own - imagine how easy is to break into our Cupras:)

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Progress report: I believe I have cracked the sequence, at least on my Formentor VZ2.

I can now recreate anomaly #1 on demand:
  1. Vehicle is in locked state
  2. Unlock vehicle with key fob unlock button
  3. Remotely open electric rear lid with key fob button
  4. Close electric rear lid with rear lid button
  5. Open drivers door* (key fob in hand / pocket)
  6. Get in drivers seat and close door
  7. Indicators flash rapidly 4 times with 2 quiet chirps (anomaly #1)
  8. In this situation, the anomaly is repeatable every time door is opened and closed (ignition remaining off, key fob within vehicle)
  9. Locking and unlocking from outside the vehicle, stops this behaviour on the next attempt.
*Opening the drivers door before electric rear lid has finished closing will also cause anomaly #1 as well as interrupting closure.

Is it a bug? Is it an issue with the boot latch? Maybe it's a programming bug for the boot latch / alarm, who knows!

It's reported to CUPRA and hopefully they'll be able to recreate it themselves with my car and a data logger running to see what's really going on.

It's going to take a couple weeks for the official diagnostic, but good news is that the car modules don't need to be in deep sleep. I highly suspect the boot latch is the catalyst for something to do with the alarm anomalies on software 1940.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.