Alhambra leaking from sunroof (potentially)

Jan 24, 2023
Seat Alhambra with Leaking Roof.

Hello All, I thought this would be good forum to share my Alhambra issue and indeed to share my frustration with Seat (VW). I have owned an Alhambra for 5 years , I bought the car new in 2018, all was fine until February 2022 when the panoramic roof started leaking. At this point I returned the car to the dealer for investigation. I was initially told it was a £1600 sunroof replacement, then after a week of discussion it was agreed the sunroof seals would be replaced costing £600. On Strip down it became apparent one of the rear drains was not connected from New!!, hence why the carpets were so wet at the back and we didn’t know why.

The leak which concerned me was on the Drivers side front, and this was dripping from the light into the well and running down the pillar. Prior to work being done we found out from Seat dealers that sun roof leaks were common place, and one technician said in 2020 truckloads of sunroofs were being delivered to dealers to fit/replace. The replacement seal work was done and I had no leaks for 11 months. Then 2 weeks ago the passenger stared to leak.

So, the car was sent back to the original dealer, only to be told the front drains were twisted creating a blockage (guess who did this), these are now being replaced at my cost. In the process of all of this Seat UK have been invited to comment several times, but choose not to, they are sitting on the fence. Seat UK and VW have a legal barrier between them, in my view to prevent claims going through and distance themselves from VW of and liability. This makes it impossible for customers to get any redress.

Seats UK technical team now says the car will leak if more than 24mm of rain falls on the car, we live in the UK and rain is in abundance. Now they have just lost the plot. Seat (VW) have thousands or cars with Panoramic sunroofs, surely the don’t design in a leak potential. This is the last Alhambra I will be buying.

Aug 21, 2021
Thanks for sharing /posting. I love the Alhambra, it ticks so many boxes. I find it ridiculous to have these sorts of issues after owning a car for less than 5 years. One thing is for certain - I will never buy another car with a sunroof. Just not worth the pain.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise