All front lights (roughly) the same colour at last!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
These are marked as reversing bulbs, I guess they will be OK as sidelights?

In my case they will be DRL bulbs not sidelights.

Reverseing 21w 382 bulbs are exactly the same as indicator, foglight or DRL 21w 382 bulbs so I guess these will work as all of them too providing the can bus friemdly part works as it should.

chisel

Jan 15, 2006
Sidelights (501/w5w type)

These were relatively easy. You can buy 'canbus compatible' LEDs of many flavours now, but I still had some plug'n'play resistor cables that I took from my FR when I sold it, so I've used those in my Ecomotive, together with some Philips 4000K LED 501s. They are a decent match for the bi-xenons. Maybe a tad warmer white but close in colour, and importantly they don't have that obviously-after-market look and make the reflector blue when they're switched off like the 501 bulbs with blue glass do.

philips-4000K-LED-sidelight-2.jpg

Do you need resistor cables in Leon 2009 FL ?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I've just been trying to view the alternative canbus-compatible 382 module from ultraleds.co.uk (as linked by Nath above) but it's showing page not found so I guess they're also out of stock now...

you're right, it says product not found. I'm not holding my breath even though they have emailed saying my order has been dispatched.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
DRL's are a legal requirement on all new cars built from 2010 I think. It's the EU driving our laws again :censored: Some cars with factory xenon headlights had them sooner. DRL's will be so common soon that when you spot an older car still on the road it will look dark and unsafe during the day.

NigelCupra

May 31, 2011
Warsash, South Coast
What a numpty I am, I have bought a set of bulbs for this and I thought I was getting sidelight bulbs... DOH!

So I have a pair of 382 anti canbus led's that are no good for me... double DOH!!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
What 382 LED's did you buy? If they are really anti can bus I will have them off of you. Fit one in your indicator and see if you get a bulb failure message. If you don't get a fault message I will take them off of you. ££

Websta

Apr 12, 2011
If anyone is still having trouble sourcing some white canbus-compatible LED replacements for their facelift DRLs (382/1156 bulb type), I just found these:

http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/Canbus white 27 SMD LED BA15s 1156 382 bulbs

They look similar to the ones that I have, but these new ones also have 3 SMDs pointing forwards as well as those mounted on the double-sided crossed PCBs. Might be worth a shot?

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge....but are these a straight swap for the standard DRL's without any changes needing to be made?

I bought some MTEC 382 P21w S25 (1156) Super White Xenon bulbs (MTEC 382 SW) from HID-direct and they worked well untill i noticed this morning one was dull....been out at lunch and got the offending bulb out, was scorching hot and SMOKING so i assume the bulb is about to explode! Anyway, doesn't seem very safe tbh! so ive turned them off for the drive home! Im not exaclty filled with confidence so even if they offer a replacement i dont think i will fit them....

Are these LED's safe to use? Last thing i want is them to end up causing a fire or something!

Any help is much appreciated!

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
LED's as a whole dont use as much energy to work and therefore dont get half as hot, i doubt you will catch fire, however (possible Wives tale now) stealers have told me that LED's will void your electrical warranty as they can cause modules to blow.

Never ever happened like, but any problems with them make sure you take them out and put bulbs back in before taking it to a stealers :)

jakesbrakes

Rapid old fart
Jun 23, 2010
Bexhill on sea
Regret to say the Led-s from CarMod shop do not have enough resistance in them.. Got some last week and they thru up a fault straight away.
. The good thing was they arranged a quick refund via PayPal.. I am still looking for some DLR LED replacements. Mine were fitted to a model year 11
Boc.Cupra, so earlier mods might not be so demanding..
If anyone comes up with DLR LED.s that work I would be most gratefull...Jake..

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
well ive got a set of these waiting for me at my mothers (clicked the wrong bleeding dispatcch address didnt I) so i will let you know if they work come saturday