Amber Oil Light On Dash !!!!!!!

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
Hi Guys :D
Can somebody please give me some ideas on my problem that I have with my LCR. I was driving home from leeds airport last week when a beep sounded and the amber oil light came on, I stopped at the nearest petrol station and checked the oil level, it was on the minimum mark, so I bought a litre of oil and topped it up but the amber oil light has stopped on. I then put my fault tester in the 16 pin point and it says that theres no faults.
I then went into my local VW garage and spoke to a mechanic who told me it could be the bonnet switch that is causing the light to illuminate or it might just need a service.
I have looked all under the bonnet and can't find any switch in the engine bay, so I went to my nearest Seat garage in Bury and bought new spark plugs, oil filter, oil and sump plug and told the parts guy about the amber oil light and he said that when i changed the oil and oil filter it would automatically turn the oil light off. I also mentioned about what the VW mechanic said to me about the bonnet switch, but the parts lad looked at me stupid. I have give the LCR a service but the amber oil light is still on !!! I also checked to see if theres any oil leaks but there isn't. I did notice that there is some sort of sensor bolted to the bottom of the sump and I unplugged it to see if that brought any other lights up on the dash but it didn't, so could it possibly be that ???

Just another small problem as well :redface:
My central locking and alarm started playing up a while ago but I thought it was because of lack of use as I hardly drive my beloved LCR due to having a works van. I press the button on the fob once and the drivers door unlocks, when i press the button again all the other doors unlock. The problem was after I pressed the fob once the drivers door would unlock but when I pressed it again the rest of the doors would attempt to unlock but the alarm would sound and the doors would still be locked. This has been going on for a while now but the other night the fob has stopped working altogether but the little red light on the fob still lights up when it is pressed, so I have to unlock the car with the key now but the alarm goes off and it takes me ages to stop the alarm from sounding.... Does anybody know if it's just the batteries in the fob that need changing or is it the actual alarm that has a fault ??

Thankyou to all the guys who decide to give me advice :D

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Had an issue similar to yours with my central locking, it would only unlock drivers door second button press did nothing! After much piddling about came on here and a nice chap suggested disconnecting battery, worked a treat!! just check you have radio code then pull earth from batt leave a few mins and reconnect! Cant hurt either way!

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
Had an issue similar to yours with my central locking, it would only unlock drivers door second button press did nothing! After much piddling about came on here and a nice chap suggested disconnecting battery, worked a treat!! just check you have radio code then pull earth from batt leave a few mins and reconnect! Cant hurt either way!

Thanks stpete, I will give that a try asap....don't think I have the radio code though...is there anyway to get it ?

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I agree with the central locking. I have heard just lately that this works. Radio code needs to come from your dealer if you haven't got it... You need to give him your VIN number or at least the Registration...

As far as the dash light goes. Which light is it? What is the picture of?? I thought the oil warning light was red??

Anyway, the oil light will come on even if there is pleanty of oil. I believe it is also triggered somehow a reduction in flow of oil, therefore, if the pump packs up for some reason, the light will come on to show that the flow has reduced.

If you are sure its the oil light, be careful as driving it with bad oil flow will screw your engine really quick!

Fitzy7375

Oct 22, 2006
Burnley
I agree with the central locking. I have heard just lately that this works. Radio code needs to come from your dealer if you haven't got it... You need to give him your VIN number or at least the Registration...

As far as the dash light goes. Which light is it? What is the picture of?? I thought the oil warning light was red??

Anyway, the oil light will come on even if there is pleanty of oil. I believe it is also triggered somehow a reduction in flow of oil, therefore, if the pump packs up for some reason, the light will come on to show that the flow has reduced.

If you are sure its the oil light, be careful as driving it with bad oil flow will screw your engine really quick!

It is definately an amber oil light, there is 2 colour of oil light ( red and amber ) they have different meanings. The red oil light is for serious stuff like oil pressure and stuff like that and the amber light is supposed to be for less serious stuff like needing a service. I'm gonna ring Seat Bury in the morning and ask to speak to the workshop foreman and see what he thinks.

sandy1981

Thanks stpete, I will give that a try asap....don't think I have the radio code though...is there anyway to get it ?
Or phone your SEAT garage and give them the serial no. of the radio.They have a list of codes stored on their computer.Think some of them want to charge a small fee for this service but the guy I spoke to said it didn't matter about the money and just gave me the code.

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Are you sure it's not the Excess Pollution Light? I could come and have a look one day seeing as you're only 10 mins away from me. Can't help with the central locking though...

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Yellow oil light means low oil level or high oil temperature. The sensor you unplugged is the level/temperature sensor, and leaving it unplugged will cause the yellow light to stay on.

The parts lad in Bury is the stupid one, there is a microswitch in the bonnet lock that can fail and cause the light to come on. The light comes on to indicate that the oil level/temperature warning system itself has a fault.....

The yellow light is a specific oil level/temperature warning, the red light in the same window is the oil pressure warning. In all cases they mean "stop now", but the oil pressure light usually means "you'll have to stop because your bearings have just disappeared. . ." :cry:

hungabunga

Mar 11, 2005
sorted it, disconnected the battery and light went away so most likely the bonnet switch

Thanks