Any here used to own MH16 TYG? Modded Leon FR 1.8 ST?

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Hi all

Possibly going to buy this car which has quite a few mods:
  • dechromed
  • de wipered
  • coilovers
  • an apparently loud exhaust
  • bonnet sits up from near windscreen
  • quite distinctive 5 slots in the front bumper between number plate and grille
Thought it may have belonged to a member? Its a fair way off from me, so would be good know anything about it or anything else it may have?

Thank for any help.

Cheers

Dave

Leon.jpg

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Hmmmmmm cupra bumper on front, not sure why they have raised the bonnet unless its heavily modified to let heat out, i would possibly avoid it unless your after a mod bus

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Walone

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Ahh thank you mate, I didn't click the bumper being from a Cupra!

It has DCC by the photos, guess the coil overs would not work with that? I did have a look at standard shocks and springs but they seemed really expensive for that particular car!

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Private sale or at a garage / dealer?

Have you looked at the MOT history? Most recent at the beginning of this month shows a minor exhaust leak and front brake pads low, also a fail 2 days before due to worn front tyres so it probably has a couple of very cheap tyres on the front at the moment.

I'd definitely be wanting the exhaust leak fixed and brakes changed if not already done, or appropriate consideration given in the price.

Reactions: Cossie-boy

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Alarm bells would be ringing with me. Is the bonnet standing proud due to the Cupra bumper or because it’s been in a front end smash? I agree with @Rusty too - probably got cheap tyres on - seen this with a 370Z owner - he put a cheap Chinese tyre on just to get it through the MOT then he had a blowout on the M6 and did a pinball between the central reservation and the hard shoulder and totalled the car. Personally, I’d walk away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
All good points and thank you.

Yes it seems to be 'a thing' where the bonnet is like that, raised by a bracket, it is a garage and they its now as standard. I believe it is more for the look than anything else.

It is cheap for what it is, but not if its been messed about with too much!

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Ahh thank you mate, I didn't click the bumper being from a Cupra!

It has DCC by the photos, guess the coil overs would not work with that? I did have a look at standard shocks and springs but they seemed really expensive for that particular car!
As far as I know, DCC was only available on Cupra's. Might have been available as an option on FR's. From the photos, I can't see anything that would suggest it has DCC. Are you looking at the 'Mode' button? This gives different driving styles, but doesn't stiffen/soften suspension.

Also, it looks like it doesn't have the SD card for the SatNav. If you look at other FR's make sure it's an FR Technology (LED headlights, etc) and also try and find one with front parking sensors.

Last edited:

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
The bumper may just be stickers (eaziwrap). What the hell is with that bonnet though?! I’d avoid this one if it were my money
Iv seen raised bonnets on lots of heavily modified cars, i grew up helping my mate fix sideway sie skyline and that had the bonnet lift at the back but it was an absolute wepon of a car lol

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cossie-boy and xyz

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
As far as I know, DCC was only available on Cupra's. Might have been available as an option on FR's. From the photos, I can't see anything that would suggest it has DCC. Are you looking at the 'Mode' button? This gives different driving styles, but doesn't stiffen/soften suspension.

Also, it looks like it doesn't have the SD card for the SatNav. If you look at other FR's make sure it's an FR Technology (LED headlights, etc) and also try and find one with front parking sensors.
Exactly that, the mode button I was thinking was DCC, never mind!

and thanks for the SD card advice, good to know.

I giving this one a miss now anyway.

I had a K1 before and one of the main reasons I sold it was the rock hard suspension. Had read the FR ST was a bit more comfortable but the coil overs would have changed all that!

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012

Exactly that, the mode button I was thinking was DCC, never mind!

and thanks for the SD card advice, good to know.

I giving this one a miss now anyway.

I had a K1 before and one of the main reasons I sold it was the rock hard suspension. Had read the FR ST was a bit more comfortable but the coil overs would have changed all that!

Aug 15, 2021
I actually looked at this car yesterday! Very cheap for what it is, but not for me. It's been messed about too much, decatted exhaust which is embarrassingly loud, new but really shitty tyres which just span all the time in the wet, lowered, rock hard suspension, couple of dents at the rear, missing rear wiper (I know this is a thing wiv da boyz, but I'm not 12...) cracked windscreen (you get it done on your insurance apparently) hand cut slots in the front bumper (I'm guessing this is a Cupra thing?). Various anodised and hand painted bits under the bonnet, I imagine it may have been remapped as it went like stink on boost. Oh, it does have the SD card for the Satnav, they found it after I enquired.
The dealer is a family concern, have many cars all rammed in together with various scrap parts, engines etc around the place. Google reviews not brilliant either.
Kinda has the feel of a car that's seen a good bit of abuse to be fair, I guess some laddo will buy it and love the thing, but it's not my thing at all!

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Good to know mate.

I kinda guessed this would be the case, shame but agree with all you say.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members