Any owners of a Leon just over 1 year old ?

tronads

Nov 29, 2014
Can anyone with a Leon just over a year old tell me what they have done with regards to its first service ?

I'm really struggling to figure out when my first service is due on my FR ACT150. I am just coming up to 1 year and have done about 7,500 miles.

When I bought the car from new, the Preston dealer (who no longer exists) told me that the first service isn't due until 2 years...furthermore they said I might receive a letter inviting me to a service after 1 year, but to ignore it as it would be a mistake.

My details have been passed on to the next nearest Seat dealer, who have now written to me telling me my service is due, and then tried to phone me today.

So I thought I had best check, as I don't want my warranty becoming void....but I can't for the life of me figure it out in the Maintenance Programme book.

According to the book, I will either have a longlife service, or a time/distance service, and this is dependent on a code QI6 being on the vehicle data sticker, or the box being ticked on page 6, but here is no QI6 on the sticker, nor is there a tick.

However, it goes on to say that if its time/distance dependent, there will be a QI1,QI2,QI3,QI4 or QI7 on the sticker, or again it will be ticked on page 6. Of course there is no QI whatsoever on the sticker, nor is there anything ticked on page 6.

Moving on to page 10, the book seems to indicate that I will not need an "inspection service" until 2 years or 30,000km, and its only an "oil change service" I would actually need even if I was on time/mileage interval.

My main concern is the voiding of the warranty, but I also do not want to be ripped off and tricked into having a full service when only an oil change is required....clearly the price would be very different.

Anyone any recent experience of this help me ?

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
long life service is 2 years or 20k whichever comes first

I personally would not do the long life service there is too many horror stories of sludge in the oil other VAG cars with long life oil! my Audi A4 to name one! they are known for it

your first service will cost you £179 and its basically an oil change! they do check the car over too or so they say!

I change the oil every year or 10k whichever comes first I dont like leaving oil in no more than that

tronads

Nov 29, 2014
Holy crap, £179 for just the oil change, I dread to think how much is the inspection service would cost !!!!

I fully agree though, I would never leave oil in for over a year, even though I have done such low mileage.

I will pay the local dealer a visit I think for a chat, just to make sure I am interpreting the manual correctly....Once I confirm this, I will ask for a price for an oil change ONLY, and if they don't offer anything reasonable, I'll be exercising my right to go to Kwik Fit or similar and have them do it, which as I understand it is fine as long as they use manufacturer recommended lubricants.

Last edited:

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
this is what you get

http://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/services/its-fixed.html

to be honest the price isn't too bad for a main stealer!

I usually do all my own servicing but warranty says otherwise!

if you go elsewhere you will lose your paint corrosion warranty for a start as it won't have been checked at service time plus if anything does happen out of warranty you will lose any chance of goodwill gesture

plus resale value as future buyers like to see main dealer history

Last edited:

tronads

Nov 29, 2014
Looking at that list, I would say that's the "inspection service" and not the "oil change service" that the book says I only have to get.

I guess I will probably end up having to pay for that one, but I'm going to go in asking for a price on "just an oil and filter change only please" first. Then insist on that armed with what the service book says.

Worth a try if I can save £100 or so.

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
If you're on long life servicing and its 2 years then why don't you buy a genuine oil filter and change the oil yourself at year 1 - then at year 2 get the dealer to do it. This way you've not been to a non-dealer garage and you're still adhering to the service schedule so all will be good with warranty etc. If you're not good with doing it yourself then go to an Indy and don't let them stamp the book. At least you'll know the oil is fresh.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.