Any views on the Tomtom camera database?

V5Ade

I love my LCR!
Aug 26, 2004
Guildford
I bought it for the Mrs yesterday. She is going to try it out today, so I will let you know how she gets on.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Don't pay for the TomTom one, use the pocketgpsworld.com one (if it works with her version of TomTom?)

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Feel said:
Don't pay for the TomTom one, use the pocketgpsworld.com one (if it works with her version of TomTom?)

I use this one. Works great.

It's free at the moment but they are thinking of starting to charge £2 per download soon. Still alot cheaper than the TomTom one.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I use the checkpoint one - it's free and is continuously updated as you can record a POI as you drive past. I think it only works with the PDA version of TomTom though.

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
Craig Senior said:
I use this one. Works great.

It's free at the moment but they are thinking of starting to charge £2 per download soon. Still alot cheaper than the TomTom one.

I also use the pocketgpsworld database and it works fine. certainly great for a free database.:funk:

V5Ade

I love my LCR!
Aug 26, 2004
Guildford
V5Ade said:
I bought it for the Mrs yesterday. She is going to try it out today, so I will let you know how she gets on.
My wife tested the TomTom database on a trip from Cobham to Croydon and back (different routes). She said it didn't miss a single camera.

Still the pocket gps one sounds pretty good and if it's free............

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
If the TomTom one worked like my old Origin b2 and only alerted you to cameras which were on the road ahead (rather than just within a preset radius of your current position) and on your side of the road, then I'd go for it. From what I've read, it just adds POIs for the cameras, though (which is exactly how the pgps one works...)

stuart_hatch

Poor Student
Aug 28, 2005
Glasgow
MarkE said:
If the TomTom one worked like my old Origin b2 and only alerted you to cameras which were on the road ahead (rather than just within a preset radius of your current position) and on your side of the road, then I'd go for it. From what I've read, it just adds POIs for the cameras, though (which is exactly how the pgps one works...)

You can choose weather to have it alert you within a radius or on your route

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
stuart_hatch said:
You can choose weather to have it alert you within a radius or on your route

Yes, but if you're not following a route (i.e. if you haven't programmed one via "Navigate To") then it ignores the cameras.

At least, that's what mine did when I tried it.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Syphon said:
Does it have speech for each camera type?

And the all important question - where can I download the Kitt voice for Tomtom navigation :yes: ( I know there is one)

Scott

You can set a different alert sound for each camera type - I would assume that someone's made a custom soundset with the relevant camera names in it somewhere.

Feel posted a link to the TomTom voice pack in another thread but you'll be disappointed...

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
MArk - I believe there is an option for POI alerts to either be on route only or everywhere.

Where's the best place to get soundsets? I'm really after the Kitt one but can't find it. :(

Scott

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Syphon said:
MArk - I believe there is an option for POI alerts to either be on route only or everywhere.

Where's the best place to get soundsets? I'm really after the Kitt one but can't find it. :(

Scott

Yes, there's an option under "Manage POIs" but when I tried it it just ignored all of the camera POIs so I assumed that "route" refers to a planned route along which you're being navigated, rather than the road you're currently on (as I don't have a route planned most of the time). However, will try again tomorrow as it would be much more use (and closer to the way the b2 worked).

There just might be a load of soundsets HERE for the next 24 hours or so. :whistle:

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.