AP Coilovers

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Sick of having to replace these DCC shocks. Potholes keep destroying them. Garage have recommended doing away with the DCC and putting an AP coilover kit on, which deactivates the DCC. I hardly ever stiffen the suspension anyway. It’s always in comfort mode (which isn’t very comfortable). Anyone had this kit, or done a similar thing?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
You could try the Bilstein DCC shocks rather than the OEM Monroe ones.
Guessing the Bilsteins should be better quality so longer lasting.

Not sure I would want my car any stiffer than comfort mode on a day to day basis.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Are AP stiffer? Bilstein was an option, but even more expensive than OEM.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Does this match your part number?
Sachs have always been brilliant on the bmw's even on the heavier 535d's and m50d's.
Nah, they don’t match. Thanks though I know Monroe, who make the OEM shocks for Seat, make the exact same ones, just not OEM. But I don’t want carry on that cycle. I want rid of those DCC ones altogether.

Reactions: Mo_86

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Do the coilovers not lower the car (I have had two different sorts of coilover and both had minimum and maximum drop)

Personally My foray into the world of coilovers was the KW DDC as these worked with the DCC on the car but also lowered the whole car. But they are going to be a lot more expensive than many other options.

Are you still running 19" wheels or have you changed to 18" not sure if that helps with the potholes or not.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
The garage didn’t say there’d be a decrease in ride height. It’s sitting at the best height at the moment. Doesn’t scrape when going over bumps, and isn’t crazy high so feels disconnected. There is an option to adjust the ride height with the AP kit, but that’s more expensive so haven’t opted for that. I’ll be swapping the top mounts for new ones too while they’re in there.

I’m on 18 inch VW Cadiz alloys at the moment. 19 inch alloys in storage. It has helped with the comfort slightly. But more so it’s helped with kerbing as the side wall is larger. I used to kerb my 19 diamond cuts a lot, despite trying my best not to.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
AP don't do a specific springs and shocks kit for the Cupra model. ST, which is also owned by KW like AP, offer a 10mm kit and 20mm kit -

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: H Rafiq

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
You could possibly swap in the Racingline non DCC shocks and add the delete resistors to get rid of the DCC fault? Then you can continue with whatever springs you already have and are happy with?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Didn’t think of that. The garage said the AP would be the best option. They come with DCC delete parts too.

redone

Nov 28, 2023
suspect the garage solution to be defined as mechanically deactivating dcc.

kw, for instance, offer a standalone kit specifically to disable dcc electronically on the leon 5f.

that kw kit is 300 something quid.

you ride in comfort mode, exclusively. seems like you would want to spec down shocks to fr or whatever oem spec if doing dcc delete, not ap coilovers. lol.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Surely OEM FR shocks all round would be more expensive, no? The garage said the AP coilover kit comes with deactivation means included. And they can set the suspension to the desired level.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.