Are these new features?

ThirtySixteen

Dec 9, 2023
Hi guys,

I’m not sure what experience you’ve had with this but I have a new (Dec 23) Ateca and when I got it the salesman did the usual spiel etc…

He told me that only my iPhone CarPlay would work wirelessly. No android. That would have to be plugged in.
But both my iPhone and my wife’s Android Auto work perfectly wirelessly.

He also told me that if I use my iPhone as a hotspot for the car then CarPlay wouldn’t work, it’s one or the other.
But I have my car connected to my iPhone hotspot whenever I’m in the car (I have unlimited data) and my CarPlay works absolutely fine.

He also said that I can’t turn the lane assist off permanently as it’s compulsory and I’d have to deactivate it every time I start the car.
I deactivated it on day one and it’s been off ever since.

Was he just making it up? Or are these features not supposed to work? lol.

Or have they been added recently?

Not a dig or complaint, just genuinely intrigued.

Cheers

Tell

Staff member
That's a coding toggle to turn lane assist off, least on MQB Evo platform. They subsequently on Atecas and Tarracos defaulted lane assist to on each time you turn ignition to on. Mine stays off. 2016 model pre-dates when they started to get you to default to lane assist on.

The coding toggle is "remember the last setting" which feels like what you have. The MQB Evo Leon 4 and Formentor always toggle to on at ignition but you can be recoded. See the Formentor thread but the Ateca and Formentor use a "perso" parameter. Either you recoded yours or it came primed to come on to the last setting of how it was left. These ones in Europe you can change that with that Perso parameter.

See Perso in this thread:

MQB Evo it's a different parameter - see the Formentor Obdeleven coding thread for those interested in that. Lane assist auto on scores higher points on European car safety testing. Isn't a legal requirement.

See Ateca coding thread for others.

Suspect dealer was making it up as they went on, the hotspot and wireless. Maybe that's another platform and they got confused about. Certainly there are differences in the system coding between the Ateca / Taracco platform and the newer MQB Evo cars. (Which are / were more unreliable, the systems didn't integrate too well). The face lifted models just got mib3 added to them whilst the mqb evo cars got those system issues + The mib3 issues.

ThirtySixteen

Dec 9, 2023
That's a coding toggle to turn lane assist off, least on MQB Evo platform. They subsequently on Atecas and Tarracos defaulted lane assist to on each time you turn ignition to on. Mine stays off. 2016 model pre-dates when they started to get you to default to lane assist on.

The coding toggle is "remember the last setting" which feels like what you have. The MQB Evo Leon 4 and Formentor always toggle to on at ignition but you can be recoded. See the Formentor thread but the Ateca and Formentor use a "perso" parameter. Either you recoded yours or it came primed to come on to the last setting of how it was left. These ones in Europe you can change that with that Perso parameter.

See Perso in this thread:

MQB Evo it's a different parameter - see the Formentor Obdeleven coding thread for those interested in that. Lane assist auto on scores higher points on European car safety testing. Isn't a legal requirement.

See Ateca coding thread for others.

Suspect dealer was making it up as they went on, the hotspot and wireless. Maybe that's another platform and they got confused about. Certainly there are differences in the system coding between the Ateca / Taracco platform and the newer MQB Evo cars. (Which are / were more unreliable, the systems didn't integrate too well). The face lifted models just got mib3 added to them whilst the mqb evo cars got those system issues + The mib3 issues.
Hi Tell, thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.
So it would seem that I’ve hit it lucky and bought my Ateca at the right time then. lol.

I certainly haven’t recoded anything. The lane assist was something that was actually making me have doubts about the purchase but thankfully it hasn’t been an issue at all.

I don’t suppose you know anything about the DAB station icons do you? All the stations I listen to are missing. I’ve tried to upload them via USB but whenever I try to add them it just says no media available.

I find it astonishing that they haven’t added some of the most popular stations in the UK to their list of included icons.

Thanks again.
Matt.

Tell

Staff member
Funny you should ask about radio icons... yours is a mib3 which were fitted after 2020, usb-c, no SD card slots or CD in the glove box. With mib2 you could add your own icons, mib3 you rely on the icon they have prepared. These are downloaded over the air or go in via USB. Mute point as to whether they are being updated over the air. If you find the radio logo update serial number in the unit that's the database it's on. I don't have mib3 so pass on that....

However.... New information has come to light. The logos are managed by phonestar for VAG. VW people could update theirs from a download. Skoda couldn't until 2023 within year. Seat at the minute can't. I have a suspicion that the radio station Logos in Seat units are old and static but if you read the over the air serial number, report back and compare with the what the current release is 1.31.48. At the minute you can't update to that since the Seat part number is missing from the configuration file so it won't import in via USB and I suspect yours is a release before. Possible all Seats are on old releases unless the over the air updates go in not using that file. I doubt it.

I pinned this thread on the Leon 4 side (mib3... all the same):

So basically during 2023 the contractors of the logo file added Skoda part code to it. The previous release didn't have it in. 1.31.44. So we just need the contractors to put it in. I've called this Nag 1. Nag 2 is to get them to fill in the missing logos. There is an email. Skoda people took it up with phonestar last year. MartiniB on the Skoda side was one of them.

Phonestar is a German internet radio provider and software developer for broadcasters. Vag gave the contract to them to look after the logos.

How it work on how you get the logos appearing on the screen, FM RDS and DAB broadcast a PI code, programme information code, the logo look up is held in an SQL database in the infotainment system system. It just pulls the logo up and shows it. That download has the sql database in it but its locked down via encryption. The mib2 files aren't locked down so you can study them and see the logos using SQLite. Either way if you are a dab hand with SQL you can't load up any thing you change since its protected by SHA256 now, they use to use SLA1. Saying that the part codes you might be able to type in to get that file in. @someuser08 did try but I'm not sure whether they edited the bit I would. That would only be a stop gap.

Phonestar need to get the Seat part in that file (nag1) and all radio station logos updated (nag2). Seat are being remiss in not being after their contractor to get it done. The email address of phonestar is in those links: [email protected]

ThirtySixteen

Dec 9, 2023
Funny you should ask about radio icons... yours is a mib3 which were fitted after 2020, usb-c, no SD card slots or CD in the glove box. With mib2 you could add your own icons, mib3 you rely on the icon they have prepared. These are downloaded over the air or go in via USB. Mute point as to whether they are being updated over the air. If you find the radio logo update serial number in the unit that's the database it's on. I don't have mib3 so pass on that....

However.... New information has come to light. The logos are managed by phonestar for VAG. VW people could update theirs from a download. Skoda couldn't until 2023 within year. Seat at the minute can't. I have a suspicion that the radio station Logos in Seat units are old and static but if you read the over the air serial number, report back and compare with the what the current release is 1.31.48. At the minute you can't update to that since the Seat part number is missing from the configuration file so it won't import in via USB and I suspect yours is a release before. Possible all Seats are on old releases unless the over the air updates go in not using that file. I doubt it.

I pinned this thread on the Leon 4 side (mib3... all the same):

So basically during 2023 the contractors of the logo file added Skoda part code to it. The previous release didn't have it in. 1.31.44. So we just need the contractors to put it in. I've called this Nag 1. Nag 2 is to get them to fill in the missing logos. There is an email. Skoda people took it up with phonestar last year. MartiniB on the Skoda side was one of them.

Phonestar is a German internet radio provider and software developer for broadcasters. Vag gave the contract to them to look after the logos.

How it work on how you get the logos appearing on the screen, FM RDS and DAB broadcast a PI code, programme information code, the logo look up is held in an SQL database in the infotainment system system. It just pulls the logo up and shows it. That download has the sql database in it but its locked down via encryption. The mib2 files aren't locked down so you can study them and see the logos using SQLite. Either way if you are a dab hand with SQL you can't load up any thing you change since its protected by SHA256 now, they use to use SLA1. Saying that the part codes you might be able to type in to get that file in. @someuser08 did try but I'm not sure whether they edited the bit I would. That would only be a stop gap.

Phonestar need to get the Seat part in that file (nag1) and all radio station logos updated (nag2). Seat are being remiss in not being after their contractor to get it done. The email address of phonestar is in those links: [email protected]
Thanks again, Tell. Great explanation.
I did try the phonestar site with my info system part number (using the site’s instructions) but it just came back with part number not recognised.

So I was hoping it could be song via USB but it seems not.

Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to wait and hope.

Thank you again.

Matt.

Tell

Staff member
It needs somebody with a few skills in notepad editting of those two files using a VW Vin provided. As said I'm not sure whether @someuser08 just tackled those two files or might have tackled the rest which definitely won't work. A global edit on SK to SE may do the trick on the basis that Seat is set up like that. I don't reckon those two files are protected. Mac CleanMyDrive comes in if using a Mac and a reversible USB C to A pendrive if a PC without USB C. A few presentation stumbling blocks to get it to read the USB could stop it.

Other than that Seat users need to hassle Seat and Phonostar to get it setup for Seat, then the second loop is to hassle Phonostar on the missing logos. I feel we are getting somewhere.

ThirtySixteen

Dec 9, 2023
It needs somebody with a few skills in notepad editting of those two files using a VW Vin provided. As said I'm not sure whether @someuser08 just tackled those two files or might have tackled the rest which definitely won't work. A global edit on SK to SE may do the trick on the basis that Seat is set up like that. I don't reckon those two files are protected. Mac CleanMyDrive comes in if using a Mac and a reversible USB C to A pendrive if a PC without USB C. A few presentation stumbling blocks to get it to read the USB could stop it.

Other than that Seat users need to hassle Seat and Phonostar to get it setup for Seat, then the second loop is to hassle Phonostar on the missing logos. I feel we are getting somewhere.
Brilliant, thanks a lot for all the info mate.
I’m actually in IT and would usually have a play around with the code but tbh car info systems are a bit out of my remit.

And the car is leased so I need a be a tad careful.

I think I’ll make a note of the VIN you gave me on the other thread and see what evolves, if anything.

I’ve started a chat with Seat on social media and we’re currently ‘discussing the issues’ they seem a little interested but probably just humouring me.
But it’s a start I guess.

I just find it astonishing that they haven’t addressed the issue before.
It’s such a simple process for them and it can’t be because of copyright etc… as literally every other car I’ve had has had the logos.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help and info. It’s been very helpful.

Matt.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
My bed time reading last night. French Seat site.

Lists of what was happening last year but they were not aware that the icons got put in for Skoda mib3 at the end of the year. So the online updates for the radio logos appear to be out of synch with the Phonostar releases. Not convinced the online update works since it's the same file used for both so if the Seat identifer is missing you dont get it.

Just two files as far as I can see are candidates for editing, the ones that finish in .mnf not .cks as they have. You'd just do a global edit in notepad of replacing SK with SE and try in those two files. It would only be if a signature protected that, I could see one but perhaps it's in the .cks file / others in there if it was.

Apparently what happens on proper VWs once it's read in the file you get the logo update as per the offline update but then it stirs the online update into life and says you got one of them and does that as well. Gives it a kick.That was reported on VW sites.

So yes Seat / Phonostar need to be pressured to release the radio icon update given they have done the work for Skoda now but not released. The normal thing, VW users get the gold plated aftercare, more flaky for Seat and Skoda.

ThirtySixteen

Dec 9, 2023
I bet that helped you sleep 😉

Thanks though, I’ve downloaded the update. I’m in 1.30 and this is 1.31 I believe. But haven’t tried yet. The wife is using the car 🙄

I can try the edit too.

I’ve spoken to Seat and they sounded shocked that the icons were missing. But have booked me a session with my local service team to discuss the next actions.
I’ll of course update on here with any info I get.

They DID tell me though that the updates are a bit out of sync as there was a recall of all the info systems and they weren’t fitting them until the rebooting issue was resolved, which apparently it now is. (I’ve had no rebooting issues).

Might be an excuse but sounds like it could be a logical reason.

Cheers.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
I'll also email Phonostar and ask them what plans they have given they have released a combined VW / Skoda one yet limited to VW on paper but missing Seat. I'll nag them about missing logos. Probably an uphill struggle. Reckon Skoda people had a 12 month start on Seat but they haven't actually released it. Skoda owners found it.

Reactions: jt20vt
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members