radio logos update

someuser08

Mar 24, 2021
United Kingdom
I know it was impossible for MIB3 platform to update the logos, but I have seen on VW forums they started doing this officially again here.

Have anyone tried downloading and installing them from https://www.phonostar.de/vw/de/download ?

I've put in my part number and it recognized it and found me an update to version 1.31.42, but I have not trying to install it yet...

someuser08

Mar 24, 2021
United Kingdom
I can't get it to recognize the update when inserting the USB (I used the same stick before for the maps update which went fine). What instructions did you follow?

someuser08

Mar 24, 2021
United Kingdom
After reading some forums - apparently, the latest version of radio logos (1.31.42) is borked (just doesn't install on skodas/seats, may be just vw) and I can't find previous one anymore that everyone successfully installed (1.31.40).

Last edited:

adrianator

Sep 13, 2022
After reading some forums - apparently, the latest version of radio logos (1.31.42) is borked (just doesn't install on skodas/seats, may be just vw) and I can't find previous one anymore that everyone successfully installed (1.31.30).

I'll try this later today since for Widil it worked. I wonder if it works for me. I'll update with results

someuser08

Mar 24, 2021
United Kingdom
Thanks, I also wonder if it depends on version of infotainment system. I still have A896, so it could be we need a later one that supports radio updates...

adrianator

Sep 13, 2022
So I tried it but no luck. I followed the steps and insert the USB stick and that's it. Nothing happens.

The USB stick is good. Same one I used to update the infotainment to version 1940. My current version is 1.30.40.

someuser08

Mar 24, 2021
United Kingdom
Yes, it's the same for everyone it seems. Even the fix of one of the config files from another forum didn't help me. When I tried to load it via engineering menu it found the update but said something like "version mismatch"...

someuser08

Mar 24, 2021
United Kingdom
OK, so a new version is out 1.31.44, but it still doesn't work for me. May be they are not compatible with SE software train...

*edit* I also did 1940 update just before and noticed that upped radio database from version 1.30.30. ot 1.30.40

Tell

Staff member
I see trusty MartiniB has a thread

He links the zip download (current, January 2024 download) which I suspect is common across Mib3s. Suspect he might be planning to keep that link updated. Currently that is 1.31.48 looking at the file info. That's a check you can always do if unhappy with the logos. Check your onscreen release against the source version in the Phonostar database for those technically minded. You can read it off in the download.

The short answer 1.31.48 is still missing the Seat part number so won't work with Seats but works with Skodas via the dodge of using a VW Vin. Skoda owners have stolen a lead on Seat owners till Phonostar do the work.

Rest of my post gives edit suggestion and writing to the Vag contractor that does the work on the logos to get the update issue sorted out.

Installation for VAG and Skoda is this. You follow the left side for mib3. Info on VW Vin etc is below:

I haven't been able to open that file via SQLite to have a nose about. If it wasn't encrypted you'd be able to see the logos in SQLite for sure. I don't have mib3. Mib2 one you can open up.

Also worth noting the feedback from offline map updates and firmware on mib3 best to use a reversible stick with USB-A on one end and USB-C on the other end if you dont have USB-C on your laptop / PC. Adaptors can play havoc. That's come up on a Seat thread here. Some people use a cable adaptor that flashes... pass on that. The adaptors must just pass power but not data.... least the ones that cause grief.

Also on havoc, the upload via a Mac will suffer from the issue where you need to use CleanMyDrive to remove Mac file rubbish. A signature check is carried out on uploads so any duff data in the file will lead to the update not being recognised. Mib2 high thing carried over to mib3. It stops extraneous files being uploaded to the SSD storage in these units. Macs put extraneous characters in the file which PCs dont, leads to the signature check failure as its deemed the file has been hacked.

You might want to start posting up your direct file zip links here or version release so they can be cross checked. For those that abandon connect service you have a way of updating the logos.

Footnote. For mib2 readers the phonestar site offers a bulk update to the logos as it does for mib3. Haven't tried it thou.

You need a VIN to go in to pick up the relevant latest file. MartiniB gave the file links for January 2024. Then any missing ones unlike mib3 you have the import one at a time method for any odd ones missing. I covered here. That's the mib2 logo in-fill method.

That's a two stage update

A. The bulk update

B. The small manual fix

It's B you can't do in mib3.

The Mib3 "Fix"

Ok. MartiniB has provided these part numbers you can stuff into the phonestar website:

Mib2 3Q0 035 824 C Golf 2018

Mib3 3G5 035 820 Q Tiguan 2023

Mib? 10A 035 816 R ID.4 2023

These will be the ones he used. Then you can pull down the relevant radio logo VAG file.

The release code is part of the zip file so that can be cross checked with the database in the car if it's more recent.

e.g.

MQB3_OI_JND_Europe_v1.31.48b.zip meaning it's 1.31.48

After the update any missing ones not installed or missing from the database you then email phonestar telling them they are missing using the page link to the media.info site which is the gold standard.

Search under the missing logo station in media.info and in the example I did below. Lbc-news. You give them the link to each station missing a logo. The media.info site has the station logo shown under "other" (if you go in at the right page.).

https://media.info/radio/stations/lbc-news

You list the station links off and tell them you need the logo put in to the phonestar database for the VW.

My write up for the mib2 manual method where you can do it yourself was here:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/resources/radio-logos-mib-2-only.43/

That was the old mib2 method to fill in missing logos that were not in the VW published database.

Now you look the link page up to the station missing a logo and say "get it done" to phonestar or something more polite since you can't do it yourself.

You write as a VW customer to:

[email protected]

That's the only way the missing logos are going to get put in mib3 if phonestar do it. If they take it on board then the logo will filter into the release files for Mib3 via connected services and the downloads.

------

Last edited:

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Tell

I see trusty MartiniB has a thread

He links the zip download (current, January 2024 download) which I suspect is common across Mib3s. Suspect he might be planning to keep that link updated. Currently that is 1.31.48 looking at the file info. That's a check you can always do if unhappy with the logos. Check your onscreen release against the source version in the Polestar database for those technically minded. You can read it off in the download.

I haven't been able to open that file via SQLite to have a nose about. If it wasn't encrypted you'd be able to see the logos in SQLite for sure. I don't have mib3. Mib2 one you can open up.

Also worth noting the feedback from offline map updates and firmware on mib3 best to use a reversible stick with USB-A on one end and USB-C on the other end if you dont have USB-C on your laptop / PC. Adaptors can play havoc. That's come up on a Seat thread here. Some people use a cable adaptor that flashes... pass on that. The adaptors must just pass power but not data.... least the ones that cause grief.

Also on havoc, the upload via a Mac will suffer from the issue where you need to use CleanMyDrive to remove Mac file rubbish. A signature check is carried out on uploads so any duff data in the file will lead to the update not being recognised. Mib2 high thing carried over to mib3. It stops extraneous files being uploaded to the SSD storage in these units. Macs put extraneous characters in the file which PCs dont, leads to the signature check failure as its deemed the file has been hacked.

You might want to start posting up your direct file zip links here or version release so they can be cross checked. For those that abandon connect service you have a way of updating the logos.

Footnote. For mib2 readers the Polestar site offers a bulk update to the logos as it does for mib3. Haven't tried it thou.

You need a VIN to go in to pick up the relevant latest file. MartiniB gave the file links for January 2024. Then any missing ones unlike mib3 you have the import one at a time method for any odd ones missing. I covered here. That's the mib2 logo in-fill method.

That's a two stage update

A. The bulk update

B. The small manual fix

It's B you can't do in mib3.

The Mib3 "Fix"

Ok. MartiniB has provided these part numbers you can stuff into the phonestar website:

Mib2 3Q0 035 824 C Golf 2018

Mib3 3G5 035 820 Q Tiguan 2023

Mib? 10A 035 816 R ID.4 2023

These will be the ones he used. Then you can pull down the relevant radio logo VAG file.

The release code is part of the zip file so that can be cross checked with the database in the car if it's more recent.

e.g.

MQB3_OI_JND_Europe_v1.31.48b.zip meaning it's 1.31.48

After the update any missing ones not installed or missing from the database you then email phonestar telling them they are missing using the page link to the media.info site which is the gold standard.

Search under the missing logo station in media.info and in the example I did below. Lbc-news. You give them the link to each station missing a logo. The media.info site has the station logo shown under "other" (if you go in at the right page.).

https://media.info/radio/stations/lbc-news

You list the station links off and tell them you need the logo put in to the phonestar database for the VW.

My write up for the mib2 manual method where you can do it yourself was here:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/resources/radio-logos-mib-2-only.43/

That was the old mib2 method to fill in missing logos that were not in the VW published database.

Now you look the link page up to the station missing a logo and say "get it done" to phonestar or something more polite since you can't do it yourself.

You write as a VW customer to:

[email protected]

That's the only way the missing logos are going to get put in mib3 if phonestar do it. If they take it on board then the logo will filter into the release files for Mib3 via connected services and the downloads.

------
Tell
I am due to replace my Cupra Ateca in March. DFoes the 2024 car still have the same missing station issues?
I did not know about the long press to pull /import logos.
Is it as simple as downloading Phonrstar data onto a usb stick to load missing logos tha same as used to from SD card?

Tell

Staff member
Tell

Tell
I am due to replace my Cupra Ateca in March. DFoes the 2024 car still have the same missing station issues?
I did not know about the long press to pull /import logos.
Is it as simple as downloading Phonrstar data onto a usb stick to load missing logos tha same as used to from SD card?
Similar

I'd find out your current release off the screens, compare with the release that's being offered (1.31.48 at the minute). If the same you have it, if not would be worth upgrading.

It could be that you have to do the nag process with Phonestar to get any missing ones in. It's like when you tell TomTom or Google about missing roads they arrive later. You are helping everyone by nagging them who also have that missing station logo.

The update Mib3 instructions look easy enough:

https://www.phonostar.de/download/vw/MQB3_OI_JND_Europe_v1.31.48b.zip

As mentioned, if using a Mac you'd have to do an CleanMyDrive on the USB stick. It's protected by signature checking so it will either get imported or won't. I don't think it will delete any favourites since it will be seen like an over the air update.

The person with a Skoda found it offered improvements over what they had. Then you start that nag procedure to get the rest in pretending you are a loyal VW customer (Skoda and Seat don't get offered that option). These are the latest databases so you are going back to source of the creators of the material and nagging them to sort out the missing stuff. It the radio "Pi" they are leaving off the logos against. So the infotainment has the Pi from off-air, looks it up in the SQL database of stations in the unit, doesn't find it, so you get no logo. There is no user way to back fill these in Mib3 apart from going back to the people that created the lookup tables.

someuser08

Mar 24, 2021
United Kingdom
Latest version (1.31.48) still doesn't work for Seat. You can see from the config file its only for VW and SK software trains, not SE unfortunately. I had tried hacking conf file for previous versions but was not able to make it work. Previous version .44 only supported VW, but now they did added SK, so maybe SE will come eventually...

Tell

Staff member
I had spotted that there was a previous version that didn't work with Skoda. The answer is to nag Phonestar about Seat and the missing logos. Suspect the over the air one is the original file so whether it's delivered over the air or via download it won't go in. Mib2 had a part number basis that VAG periodically neglected to put in so the files (POIs) in this case couldn't be used. Examination of the firmware file gave you the missing part device they had left out, that could be typed in. Expect you did that.... but you can't now edit them since the encryption signature catches you out. Not just checksums.

Two stage thing nagging Phonestar to get the Seat part in. Nagging to get the missing radio in.

Leave that up to you with mib3s. Still we are getting there.... mib4 this year :unsure:.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
I had spotted that there was a previous version that didn't work with Skoda. The answer is to nag Phonestar about Seat and the missing logos. Suspect the over the air one is the original file so whether it's delivered over the air or via download it won't go in. Mib2 had a part number basis that VAG periodically neglected to put in so the files (POIs) in this case couldn't be used. Examination of the firmware file gave you the missing part device they had left out, that could be typed in. Expect you did that.... but you can't now edit them since the encryption signature catches you out. Not just checksums.

Two stage thing nagging Phonestar to get the Seat part in. Nagging to get the missing radio in.

Leave that up to you with mib3s. Still we are getting there.... mib4 this year :unsure:.
Was hoping the 2024 Ateca would come with station logo improved but looks like not the case. Also concerned that might screw up logos if trying to use uploads if hacked.

Tell

Staff member
Was hoping the 2024 Ateca would come with station logo improved but looks like not the case. Also concerned that might screw up logos if trying to use uploads if hacked.
The logos aren't hacked they are from the people who produce them for VAG, they are the contractors. You find a link to these files on the VW site. As @someuser08 said Seat units currently won't see them. The Seat part ID isnt in them, so it will do nothing with them until they sort that out. They have sorted it out for Skoda so they need to be nagged by techie Seat people to get the Seat ID put in those files. Perhaps @someuser08 and others with mib3 will campaign. Nag 1. Nag 2 is to the missing radio logos in.

The encryption signature means nobody can fiddle with these files in any case. They just don't load. Unless you are GCHQ you are a bit stuck at working out the primary key to construct the signed files, you need code breaking supercomputers. Mib2 high got "hacked" since a back door was accidentally left open via POI files. They disallow that which is probably why. I guess you can still put these units on a laptop that way. Quess people are trying.

Tell

Staff member
It's this file which needs some "SE"s in it as well as SK and VW. SE appeared in a previous one released.

{
"Manifest": "1.0.0",
"PackageName": "MIB3_CU_STDB_MULTIREL",
"PackageType": "multirelease",
"PackageVersion": "1.0.0",
"Variant": [
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-EE-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-EE-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-EE-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-EE-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-EU-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-EU-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-EU-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-EU-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-R2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-R2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-RW-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-RW-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-W2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NDWBY4-W2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-R2-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-R2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-R2-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-R2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-RW-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-RW-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-RW-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-RW-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-W2-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-W2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-W2-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-W2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-W3-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-W3-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EE-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EE-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EE-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EE-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EU-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EU-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EU-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EU-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-RW-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-RW-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-W2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-W2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-R2-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-R2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-R2-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-R2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-RW-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-RW-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-RW-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-RW-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-W2-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-W2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-W2-VW-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-W2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-W3-SK-MQ2-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-W3-SK-MQB-PC"
],
"Includes": [
{
"PackageName": "StationLogoDB_1.31.42_EU_ZR3_MQB_sec/main.mnf",
"DisplayName": "MIB3 OI JND RSDB v1.31.48 Europe",
"Variant": [
"FM3-S-NWBY4-RW-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-S-NWBY4-RW-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EE-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EE-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EU-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-EU-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-RW-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-RW-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-W2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NDWBY4-W2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-R2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-R2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-RW-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-RW-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-W2-SK-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-W2-VW-MQB-PC",
"FM3-SM-NWBY4-W3-SK-MQB-PC"
]
},
]
}

Once you see SE in the Meta directory in MULTI.MNF file and MAIN.MNF it will be sorted. So you just look at each release, when you see the Seat part you are in with a good chance.

They got to be nagged....

Saying that, that one isn't signed so techie people could inspect a Seat mib3 firmware file to see whether there is a solution in that to edit in. I don't have MIB3.

The Mib3 firmware links are here (guest, guest)

VW, SK, SE are the brands. I'm sort of expecting to see those descriptors in them @someuser08 which you'd carefully edit in to add SE using Notepad. Hackers corner. Just those two .MNF files could be edited, replace SK with SE using a multiple edit and see what happens. One for enterprising souls.

That's a quick fix if it works. Not sure if that's what @someuser08 did or went on to edit the files protected with a signature, which would be impossible to get them to load after. There might be another cunning way that the edit is locked down that checks that the macro hasn't been changed, or a specific Seat part not found in VW or Skoda.

Looking at past releases there was one with SE in it but not across all lines. Then was left out.

----

French experience is here:

Although they edit the wrong bit of code without a chance. It could be that code looks into the unit to do a validation check.

----

If the simple edit works that's a fix to get it to read the files, and you tell the contractors what to do (they just haven't been tasked with the work yet so it appears). Probably what happened on the Skoda side. Then you got to get them to add missing logos. The Skoda part is in the file, they just haven't officially rolled it out, hence Skoda users use a VW Vin to get the file. Seat part isn't in the download (SE brand) so the file won't work as is not in the .48 release.

Phonostar are saying Skoda is looking after the distribution of the radio logos which begs the question of why VAG doesnt operate the same across all of it's brands. Probably too much effort for them to remove the Skoda ident check from the files than push out with the Skoda ID in them. For Seat you nag the parties or hack the file if that works.

BTW there are fun German app for Android TV and Android Phone / tablet in German by the company. They clearly know the logos.... They just got to do the work or be given the work to get them in the database in their software and uploaded to Seat cars.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Ok I got MartiniB of the Briskoda board who posted up the Phonostar radio logo file information to test the edit of VW to SE in those mib3 files to check whether it just needed that for Seat. Answer. The mib3 Skoda unit would not then see the files thus there is a cunning lock down procedure related to the signature you see in the file.

The only way of getting the radio logos for mib3 updated is via Seat getting Phonostar to do the work as VW and Skoda did although officially the Skoda update isn't released but that is they on the links and works for Skoda mib3.

I've unpinned the thread since I don't reckon we are going to get a user DIY solution. Needs users to nag Seat. A fact of life of owning a Seat Mib3. They control the logos. No lookup, no logo. Back to Seat HQ to sort out.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.