Auto lights turn on during the day / too soon

Feb 21, 2024
Hello, I just bought a used León FR mk3 with auto lights. When I return from work they turn on even when the sun is out, and they won’t turn off (trip is 40mins). It's strange because normally they work well (in tunnels, at night...), but in some situations they turn on even with the sun fully out. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that at work the car is parked under the sun for 8 hours, and depending on the orientation in which I park it, there are times (very few) in which they don't turn on. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but 80% of the time they turn on. I have already tried adjusting the sensitivity from settings but it makes no difference.

In short, I think that when it’s parked under the sun for many hours, the sensor thinks that it is night even though it’s a sunny day.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I had this issue too. There’s a setting you can change on the infotainment unit in the light settings. You can adjust the sensitivity of the auto lights. I keep mine on low 24/7.

Feb 21, 2024
I had this issue too. There’s a setting you can change on the infotainment unit in the light settings. You can adjust the sensitivity of the auto lights. I keep mine on low 24/7.
Yeah I already tried that, but it keeps happening :(

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hello, I just bought a used León FR mk3 with auto lights. When I return from work they turn on even when the sun is out, and they won’t turn off (trip is 40mins). It's strange because normally they work well (in tunnels, at night...), but in some situations they turn on even with the sun fully out. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that at work the car is parked under the sun for 8 hours, and depending on the orientation in which I park it, there are times (very few) in which they don't turn on. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but 80% of the time they turn on. I have already tried adjusting the sensitivity from settings but it makes no difference.

In short, I think that when it’s parked under the sun for many hours, the sensor thinks that it is night even though it’s a sunny day.
Are you sure the actual headlights and tail lights come on, or is it just the dash illumination that turns on?

Feb 21, 2024
Are you sure the actual headlights and tail lights come on, or is it just the dash illumination that turns on?
They come on, yes. After reading in some forums I came to the conclusion that it might be that sometimes the sensor/light module stops working, so for security reasons it turns the lights ON, no matter the conditions.

Reactions: Walone

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I see many cars without their rear lights on - in really poor conditions like heavy rain/fog - presuming they are thinking their auto lights are on!
I think I'm guilty of that, I used to think that when the instrument lighting came on, the headlights and tail lights would also be on, I only realised when I noticed that the infotainment was not dimmed to night mode!!

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
If lights are set to auto, lights are on if the light next to the button is green, and off if it’s on yellow/amber, right?

Reactions: Walone

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I see many cars without their rear lights on - in really poor conditions like heavy rain/fog - presuming they are thinking their auto lights are on!
I turned my rear DLR's on with Carista so I don't have that issue. At least I know I'm always lit from the rear even if my main headlights have not been activated.

Reactions: redone

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I turned my rear DLR's on with Carista so I don't have that issue. At least I know I'm always lit from the rear even if my main headlights have not been activate.
Does that just turn the side lights on permanently, so the two LED above the rear view mirror are on, the centre console switches are lit, etc? I remeber trying it with Carista, but it never worked. There is a 'Scandinavian DRL' option in OBDeleven, but I've not tried it.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Does that just turn the side lights on permanently, so the two LED above the rear view mirror are on, the centre console switches are lit, etc? I remeber trying it with Carista, but it never worked. There is a 'Scandinavian DRL' option in OBDeleven, but I've not tried it.
Good question. I'm pretty sure the lights by the rear view are on (I'll have to check to be sure). It may have been called Scandinavian DRL. The centre console does seem to be lit all the time.

So my `sidelights` are on all the time and then headlights come on when the sensor says so (I have turned the sensitivity right up so they come on in even dull light).

Carista does get tweaked regularly, so it may have been added as an option?

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
I have the outer lights of the rears to be on at all times with the DRL's they even dim when I indicate too

I also have the rest of the rear lights come on when I brake and I just have the DRL's on

When I turn the side lights on the lights are on as normal from there on

No auto lights on my Leon though

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
My driving instructor (former police driving instructor) always said be one of the first to put your lights on, not one of the last) .

But that was 1990 😳

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise