Bad interior design

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Slap a tablet at the center and it'll pass as a great modern minimalist design. This should be the manufacturers' latest motto, I guess.

But I can't help wondering who made designers believe that the customers really wanted to see giant screens everywhere they look?
7af3dcf0c544d409955ff9a81a5249f4.jpg

Sent from my 23013PC75G using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheSwede

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Slap a tablet at the center and it'll pass as a great modern minimalist design. This should be the manufacturers' latest motto, I guess.

But I can't help wondering who made designers believe that the customers really wanted to see giant screens everywhere they look?
7af3dcf0c544d409955ff9a81a5249f4.jpg

Many years ago I spoke with a designer at Jaguar and the following may help explain it.

We build cars for many markets but the big ones are China and the US, Both of these markets like Gadgets and Big Cars

Added to that the size of your screen has now become a bragging thing in the pubs that nobody goes to anymore.

Personally I think these big screens are a driver distraction, will be fine once you have driver-less cars but whilst you are supposed to be looking at the road ahead I dont see the point. I have a tiny little screen and analogue dials they give me everything I need, the only gadget I think i would have if I could find a good solution for is Head up Display so you spend even less time looking away from the road.

But I am old, Love Tech but not this stuff as i have a car to get me from a - b and enjoy on the track neither of those requirements needs big screens.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
...But I am old, Love Tech but not this stuff as i have a car to get me from a - b and enjoy on the track neither of those requirements needs big screens.

Same here, old & tech fan. I love both analog & digital gauges but I want them in a nice shape and nicely integrated into the dash, not as generic rectangular screens. Also I'm OK with infotainment displays, as long as they don't sit way higher than the instrument binnacle and weren't slapped there like an afterthought.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members