Belt or chain?

Apr 21, 2023
Hi guys.

Car newbie here. Recently got a 2016 Ibiza Connect TSi 1.2

It's just shy of 50k miles, had it about three weeks. I'm getting a sort of chirping/squeaking noise on start up, that goes when driving but is always noticeable on idle, not as bad after warming up.

Hill starts can be a slight struggle too when in first but never any other power issues.

Would I be right in thinking this is a belt tensioner issue or the timing belt itself (then again I'm unsure whether it's a belt or chain in this)

If anyone knows what this model has, cheers. It's under warranty, so taking back into dealer during week.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Best way to check this is, looking in with the bonnet open, is the (exhaust) Turbo at the front nearest you or at the back nearest the cabin area.

If it is closest to the cabin area, the cambelt cover will be black plastic - and as I've inferred, it has a cam belt and not a chain.

Really for a 2016 1.2TSI it must be a 16V engine and so have a belt driven camshaft.

Edit:- make sure that the chirping is not from the alternator due to the battery being "less than good", or from the clutch release bearing.

Maybe remove the cam belt top cover - it is only secured by a single screw and a couple of clips, and look into that area, making sure that there is no evidence of engine oil having leaked out from the inlet varistor/pulley.

Reactions: Quest-It
Apr 21, 2023
Best way to check this is, looking in with the bonnet open, is the (exhaust) Turbo at the front nearest you or at the back nearest the cabin area.

If it is closest to the cabin area, the cambelt cover will be black plastic - and as I've inferred, it has a cam belt and not a chain.

Really for a 2016 1.2TSI it must be a 16V engine and so have a belt driven camshaft.
Yeah it's a belt, cheers for that.

They'll book me in during the week and that'll hopefully be it sorted.

Everything else has been mint so far.

Apr 21, 2023
I've edited my posting, if it makes any difference to you or what you next do.
Yeah thats a good shout. The battery is brand new so hopefully not the alternator.

I'll have a look for any evidence of oil leakages too.

Thank you.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.