Bleeding the clutch

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Is there a specific way to bleed these clutches? The little metal clip broke on my bleeder block a while ago, so I put a new clip on and the clutch just hasn't felt the same since...So when I had a spare 5 minutes yesterday, I bled the clutch like normal until it was only fluid coming out (a bit of air did come out), but if anything, it feels even worse now 😬 This morning it was super spongey, but has got better after driving around for a little bit. It still doesn't feel as good as before though.

Would an aftermarket bleeder block make it easier to bleed, and make the pedal feel better like most of the claim to do? And does anybody have a link to one for a BAM engine (LCR)? I was looking at Creation Motorsport ones but they say they are for a 2.0 engine, so not sure if it will fit.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Try gravity bleeding.
Get a small cola bottle and 1/4 fill with brake fluid.
Put a hole in the bottle lid. Get some suitable rubber hose and push the hose into the bottle. Making sure the end of the hose is in the fluid. Attach the other end of the hose to the bleed nipple and open. Remove the cap from the reservoir. The fluid should start to slowly empty into the bottle. Keep the reservoir topped up as it slowly empties.
If nothing happens when you release the bleed nipple, SLOWLY press the clutch pedal and then SLOWLY release it again (once), just to get the flow started.
Have a hot beverage of your choice at hand (its cold out).
Once the cola bottle is full of fluid, close nipple, refit reservoir cap and see how it feels.
If not perfect, repeat all of the above.
Has worked perfectly for me over the years on many different makes and models of cars.
Rich

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Try gravity bleeding.
Get a small cola bottle and 1/4 fill with brake fluid.
Put a hole in the bottle lid. Get some suitable rubber hose and push the hose into the bottle. Making sure the end of the hose is in the fluid. Attach the other end of the hose to the bleed nipple and open. Remove the cap from the reservoir. The fluid should start to slowly empty into the bottle. Keep the reservoir topped up as it slowly empties.
If nothing happens when you release the bleed nipple, SLOWLY press the clutch pedal and then SLOWLY release it again (once), just to get the flow started.
Have a hot beverage of your choice at hand (its cold out).
Once the cola bottle is full of fluid, close nipple, refit reservoir cap and see how it feels.
If not perfect, repeat all of the above.
Has worked perfectly for me over the years on many different makes and models of cars.
Rich
That's what I usually do :) I actually already have one made up. But where the bleed nipple is, I can't put the hose on the bleed nipple and open it with a spanner at the same time (too much stuff in the way)...I can only get on it with a socket and extension. The only way I was able to bleed it yesterday was by pumping the pedal, then holding it down while somebody opened the nipple. Was VERY messy, but that's the only way I could think of doing it, and some air did come out. We did it multiple times until no more air was coming out, but like I say, it's really spongey. Possibly worse than before lol

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
That's what I usually do :) I actually already have one made up. But where the bleed nipple is, I can't put the hose on the bleed nipple and open it with a spanner at the same time (too much stuff in the way)...I can only get on it with a socket and extension. The only way I was able to bleed it yesterday was by pumping the pedal, then holding it down while somebody opened the nipple. Was VERY messy, but that's the only way I could think of doing it, and some air did come out. We did it multiple times until no more air was coming out, but like I say, it's really spongey. Possibly worse than before lol
Normally what I’d do it crack the nipple so I can twist it with the hose I put on it to bleed it that way you can shut it with the pipe then pull the pipe off and nip it up with a spanner after pulling off the pipe. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Rich.T

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Normally what I’d do it crack the nipple so I can twist it with the hose I put on it to bleed it that way you can shut it with the pipe then pull the pipe off and nip it up with a spanner after pulling off the pipe. Hope that makes sense.
I will give that a try...But my bleed nipple is really tight to twist for some reason. Might have to try freeing it up a bit first.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
I will give that a try...But my bleed nipple is really tight to twist for some reason. Might have to try freeing it up a bit first.
Oh really maybe now might be the time to buy a billet bleeder block I did see one of them has a one way valve on it to actually aid bleeding think it might be the creation motorsport one can’t remember you’d have to research mate.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Oh really maybe now might be the time to buy a billet bleeder block I did see one of them has a one way valve on it to actually aid bleeding think it might be the creation motorsport one can’t remember you’d have to research mate.
I will look in to it a bit more...I know the Creation Motorsport one does say it's easier to bleed than the standard one, but I'm not sure if it has a one way valve 🤔 Unfortunately when I was originally looking before, they didn't have any in stock for the 1.8, and said they wasn't sure when they would be back in stock. Some guy on the facebook pages used a 2.0 HEL one on his 1.8 and said it fit fine. But according to Creation Motorsport, the 2.0 one won't fit the 1.8 at all 🤷‍♂️ So I'll just have to see what I can get my hands on, I suppose.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
I will look in to it a bit more...I know the Creation Motorsport one does say it's easier to bleed than the standard one, but I'm not sure if it has a one way valve 🤔 Unfortunately when I was originally looking before, they didn't have any in stock for the 1.8, and said they wasn't sure when they would be back in stock. Some guy on the facebook pages used a 2.0 HEL one on his 1.8 and said it fit fine. But according to Creation Motorsport, the 2.0 one won't fit the 1.8 at all 🤷‍♂️ So I'll just have to see what I can get my hands on, I suppose
Hopefully you won’t need it if you can just bleed up your one.
I will look in to it a bit more...I know the Creation Motorsport one does say it's easier to bleed than the standard one, but I'm not sure if it has a one way valve 🤔 Unfortunately when I was originally looking before, they didn't have any in stock for the 1.8, and said they wasn't sure when they would be back in stock. Some guy on the facebook pages used a 2.0 HEL one on his 1.8 and said it fit fine. But according to Creation Motorsport, the 2.0 one won't fit the 1.8 at all 🤷‍♂️ So I'll just have to see what I can get my hands on, I suppose.
Hopefully you’ll be able to find a way to bleed the one you have back to how it was. I can’t remember for the life of me what the bleeder block position or layout in a mk1 is like I’m sure everytime I’ve done it a little 7/8mm ring spanner does the trick.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Hopefully you won’t need it if you can just bleed up your one.

Hopefully you’ll be able to find a way to bleed the one you have back to how it was. I can’t remember for the life of me what the bleeder block position or layout in a mk1 is like I’m sure everytime I’ve done it a little 7/8mm ring spanner does the trick.
Mine is a 9mm bleed nipple...But there are plugs and other things attached to the gearbox, on either side of the bleeder block. That's why I can't get a spanner on it, unless I can move something out of the way, to make enough room 😏 I don't have any more days off work until next week now, but I'll have another go then if I have time to (got a bunch of other car related things to get done as well).

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
use a EZ bleed its so simple, takes 1-2 attempts.

Also i asked CM if their bleeder would fit 1.8t they said no idea, i tried it and it works well but fitment is a issue, the gearbox material needs grinding down, or the bleeder block. I tried in bits but couldnt stop it the bleeder from leaning against the gearbox and causing a poor seal and leaking.

Also, taking the restrictor out of the OEM bleeder feels exactly the same as aftermarkets, seriously save yourself some cash.

edit: it doesnt fit because its too bulky, the HEL and ECS ones are slimmer. it'd be easy to fit it if you have a lathe or something

also the block is just a block with a valve bolt screwed in, no check valves

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
use a EZ bleed its so simple, takes 1-2 attempts.

Also i asked CM if their bleeder would fit 1.8t they said no idea, i tried it and it works well but fitment is a issue, the gearbox material needs grinding down, or the bleeder block. I tried in bits but couldnt stop it the bleeder from leaning against the gearbox and causing a poor seal and leaking.

Also, taking the restrictor out of the OEM bleeder feels exactly the same as aftermarkets, seriously save yourself some cash.
When I contacted Creation Motorsport they told me they do sell one specifically for the 1.8 engine...But at the time it was out of stock, and they didn't know when it would be back in stock 🤷‍♂️ This was a while ago when the clip broke on my OEM bleeder block (no idea how). But like I say, somebody on the facebook pages used a HEL bleeder block for a 2.0, and according to him it fit his 1.8 with no issues, so I figured that would be the case for the CM one. I guess not.

How would I go about removing the restrictor from the OEM bleeder block? And I'm pretty sure I have one of those Eezibleed things if I'm looking at the right thing. No idea where it is though, or if I have the right size attachment for the Seat Leon reservoir. I'll have to dig it out and see.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
When I contacted Creation Motorsport they told me they do sell one specifically for the 1.8 engine...But at the time it was out of stock, and they didn't know when it would be back in stock 🤷‍♂️ This was a while ago when the clip broke on my OEM bleeder block (no idea how). But like I say, somebody on the facebook pages used a HEL bleeder block for a 2.0, and according to him it fit his 1.8 with no issues, so I figured that would be the case for the CM one. I guess not.

How would I go about removing the restrictor from the OEM bleeder block? And I'm pretty sure I have one of those Eezibleed things if I'm looking at the right thing. No idea where it is though, or if I have the right size attachment for the Seat Leon reservoir. I'll have to dig it out and see.

Its actually recommended against to do anything but pressure bleed it. I was being cheap and didnt want to pay 20 quid for it but i have used it so many times, use about 15psi no issue.

im not sure what the process is because mine basically fell out when i took the thing apart, but it doesnt look fixed to anything. shouldnt need anything more than a pick. theres plenty of threads out there im sure on how, prolly on Vwvortex. get some new o rings from the dealer if you use the old block.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Its actually recommended against to do anything but pressure bleed it. I was being cheap and didnt want to pay 20 quid for it but i have used it so many times, use about 15psi no issue.

im not sure what the process is because mine basically fell out when i took the thing apart, but it doesnt look fixed to anything. shouldnt need anything more than a pick. theres plenty of threads out there im sure on how, prolly on Vwvortex. get some new o rings from the dealer if you use the old block.
I will try to find my pressure bleeder then, and give that a go...When I first bought the car, the clutch pedal felt a lot stiffer and there was more pressure on my foot when releasing the pedal. Until that clip broke and messed it all up 🙄 Now it's just spongey lol

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I will try to find my pressure bleeder then, and give that a go...When I first bought the car, the clutch pedal felt a lot stiffer and there was more pressure on my foot when releasing the pedal. Until that clip broke and messed it all up 🙄 Now it's just spongey lol

i had the same thing between my slave cylinder dying. once i disturbed the bleeder i had a lot of trouble getting it to play ball. I found to check the underneath of it daily to see if theres any fluid seepage then you will know where the issue lies. Both ends of it too. I have small hands so i was able to dig my pinky down there. sometimes it can even pull air in even if its not leaking, which i also had. Only thing i found to solve it was new O rings and the weird tophat seal for the other side of the bleeder (which i bought from ebay but didnt fit so had to go the dealer route) and hoped for the best.

Sometimes i feel like my pedal is spongey on the odd start up, im planning on either pressure bleeding or gravity bleeding it soon to make sure its good as i did one bleed after putting the clutch and box back and seemed good enough lol.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
i had the same thing between my slave cylinder dying. once i disturbed the bleeder i had a lot of trouble getting it to play ball. I found to check the underneath of it daily to see if theres any fluid seepage then you will know where the issue lies. Both ends of it too. I have small hands so i was able to dig my pinky down there. sometimes it can even pull air in even if its not leaking, which i also had. Only thing i found to solve it was new O rings and the weird tophat seal for the other side of the bleeder (which i bought from ebay but didnt fit so had to go the dealer route) and hoped for the best.

Sometimes i feel like my pedal is spongey on the odd start up, im planning on either pressure bleeding or gravity bleeding it soon to make sure its good as i did one bleed after putting the clutch and box back and seemed good enough lol.
I think mine is sucking in air!! Unless this is normal...But it sounds like air is being sucked in from around that sort of area, where the bleeder block is (when pressing the pedal) 🤔 I assume the o-rings aren't anything fancy? Because I have a massive set of them. But what/where is this other tophat seal located, that I will need?

When I bled the clutch on Wednesday it felt a bit better than it was. Then I didn't drive it at all yesterday, and this morning I almost had no clutch pedal at all (that's never happened before). But after driving the car for a bit, it seemed to go back to normal. Or at least back to how it was on Wednesday.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I think mine is sucking in air!! Unless this is normal...But it sounds like air is being sucked in from around that sort of area, where the bleeder block is (when pressing the pedal) 🤔 I assume the o-rings aren't anything fancy? Because I have a massive set of them. But what/where is this other tophat seal located, that I will need?

When I bled the clutch on Wednesday it felt a bit better than it was. Then I didn't drive it at all yesterday, and this morning I almost had no clutch pedal at all (that's never happened before). But after driving the car for a bit, it seemed to go back to normal. Or at least back to how it was on Wednesday.

This, but dont buy that one, its trash and wouldnt fit. Use the part number and go to the dealer for it. its only around a tenner. Yeah i lost my pedal on a motorway and had to keep lifting it back up to get home once lol. O ring goes on the slave side, the tophat one to the clutch line.

Reactions: mty12345

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021

This, but dont buy that one, its trash and wouldnt fit. Use the part number and go to the dealer for it. its only around a tenner. Yeah i lost my pedal on a motorway and had to keep lifting it back up to get home once lol. O ring goes on the slave side, the tophat one to the clutch line.
That would suck 😂 I lost my pedal a few times when the clip broke as it was losing pressure...But was fine again once I replaced it. And after losing it yesterday morning, it has been fine again since. Hopefully it stays that way.

I assume SEAT, Audi, VW, etc etc will all sell those seals? I have an Audi dealership just down the road from me...But I have no idea where the closest SEAT or VW one is. I'll have to give them a call, or go in there sometime.

Last edited:

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021

I found out how to do it :) So I'll give that a go...I already have o-rings (unless it's best to use specific ones), so I just need to source them tophat seals, then I should have everything I need to remove the restrictor and pressure bleed.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
That would suck 😂 I lost my pedal a few times when the clip broke as it was losing pressure...But was fine again once I replaced it. And after losing it yesterday morning, it has been fine again since. Hopefully it stays that way.

I assume SEAT, Audi, VW, etc etc will all sell those seals? I have an Audi dealership just down the road from me...But I have no idea where the closest SEAT or VW one is. I'll have to give them a call, or go in there sometime.
yes mate i went to a skoda shop to get mine all the same.

And good luck buddy, let us know how u get on

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.