Bought a Cupra!

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Need to change the front pads and spark plug, can do that myself. Where's the best place to get them?

EBC for your brakes, some reds i use and they are a lovely balance of sporty and quiet. Think I got my disks from europarts, brembo vented (none of that drilled ****)

Just one thing on the spark plug changes. Be careful when undoing the nuts holding the power connecter to the coil pack.

It looks like its just a single nut on a captive bolt coming out of the top of the head. It isn't, there is a second nut under the ring connector. I accidentally twisted the top nut and like a ham fisted moron broke the wire connector as the whole thing just turned with the connector.

I had to get another spanner and ground it so it was thinner to get to the nut under the connector. Once that was held in place it was easy to undo the top one.

Bit of soldering then needed to reattach the wires and we were all good but i would have been buggered without the ability to solder it.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Just one thing on the spark plug changes. Be careful when undoing the nuts holding the power connecter to the coil pack.
Thanks for the tip. I've done them on the 1.4, it looks similar. I was blessed that time as the rubber boots came out easily. Hope that's the case again.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I Changed the spark plugs on my older daughter's 2019 Cupra on Saturday, maybe being a bit less ham fisted, I supported the earth wire tag while removing the top nut.
I was not very impressed by the "feel" of the bolt threads when unscrewing the bolts, I've changed the spark plugs on my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI EA211 engine twice and its coil securing screw threads felt okay, as did the same bolts on my younger daughter's 2019 Arona 1.0TSI EA211 engine - now, if I had been aware of this, I would have taken my tap and die set and cleaned up the threaded holes in the cylinder head of that 2019 Cupra and blasted the debris out with an air duster spray, I'd go as far as to say the all 4 bolts felt horrible when being unscrewed and not much better when getting screwed back in, I'm not sure what the screw is maybe just M6 X 1.0mm torque 10Nm for both bolts and earth nut.

I bought NGK spark plugs for that 2019 Cupra as VW Group tend to use VW Group re-branded NGK plugs - and the ones that came out had "JAPAN" stamped on them. As SEAT's latest offering for that 2019 car was Iridium, I just bought and fitted Iridium, possibly for earlier cars, Platinum was what VW Group sell. Spark plug torque at least for that 2019 car was 30Nm and is the older type of folded sealing washer, and not the solid thick copper sealing washer that the EA211 engines has - that ws just an extra comment as you mentioned replacing spark plugs on your 1.4TSI. Also the socket size is still 16mm which is handy!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I Changed the spark plugs on my older daughter's 2019 Cupra on Saturday, maybe being a bit less ham fisted....
Thank you. All good information to know. I would have assumed the torque was the same as the plugs in the 1.4 for instance.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thank you. All good information to know. I would have assumed the torque was the same as the plugs in the 1.4 for instance.
No, torque on spark plugs is related to the type of sealing washer or the taper seat, in some cases - and obviously changes with the spark plug thread size and probably the cylinder head material.
In this case the difference between the EA211 engine and EA888 engine spark plug torques will just be the sealing washer type fitted I'd think. I applied a spot of dielectric grease round the end of the coil connectors, ie the spark plug contact lead. The old and so original spark plugs had some yellow, I'd think special silicon paste on the upper end of the insulator, in the I'll admit to removing that with a finger and applying it round the same area of the new plugs - before I bought some dielectric grease.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.