Cam belt and water pump???

Spice

Oct 13, 2004
Hello

I have a TDI Cupra the 150 hp diesel

It due a cam belt change, shouid I also change the water pump???

One garage has said yes another no

Any idea how much more the water pumo adds to the bill?

Thanks lots

Marcus

jet-black

Id vote yes, the original water pump impeller was made of plastic which can break up and obviously stop pumping the coolant around your engine which could lead to problems!

I have today just finished changing my cambelt inc a water pump with a metal impeller http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=237 <-- i believe thats the one you need.

They arnt masses of money considering plus it gives your peace of mind and its only 3 easy bolts to undo :D

Spice

Oct 13, 2004
Id vote yes, the original water pump impeller was made of plastic which can break up and obviously stop pumping the coolant around your engine which could lead to problems!

I have today just finished changing my cambelt inc a water pump with a metal impeller http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=237 <-- i believe thats the one you need.

They arnt masses of money considering plus it gives your peace of mind and its only 3 easy bolts to undo :D

Thanks for the help

Will change it

Cheers

Marcus

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
This is a topic somewhat close to my heart at the moment, as I have literally just been through the same - today!

How much did the job cost you, or is going to cost you?? Is it being done at a main dealer? did they do tensioner/pulley as well.

Let's just say that me and the stealer had a little disagreement over the costs of this job - unfortunately after it was done.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
This is a topic somewhat close to my heart at the moment, as I have literally just been through the same - today!

How much did the job cost you, or is going to cost you?? Is it being done at a main dealer? did they do tensioner/pulley as well.

Let's just say that me and the stealer had a little disagreement over the costs of this job - unfortunately after it was done.

Did you not agree a price beforehand?

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Bit of a long story - so bear with me. We agreed a price fort the belt change (over phone with their central booking type office). Bear in mind that it was also having service and MOT done today.

So, during the day, they called and said it needed xx work doing to pass MOT, should have other work done as part of service and really ought to have belt pulley/tensioners/water pump done at same time as belt.

Was then given a price - which i bellieved (this is the bit that's almost certainly my fault!!) included the std service and MOT. Seemingly it didn't.

To put some figures on it - The Cam belt price INCREASED by £300 for the pulley/tensioner and the other extra work that it needed for MOT (we're talking bulbs here!!) and some fuel treatment.

Now I'm no expert, but i think £300 for pulley/tensioner/water pump, a pair of indicator bulbs and some fuel treatment is a tad harsh.

Bearing in mind that I think when i was talking to the central booking office, it was about an extra £80 for the tensioner and pulley. They didn't think it was 100% necessary to have these done, which was why i didn't bother. Hence i'm interested in other people's experiences on this one.

I THINK I know what's happened, and let's say i have some more work to do on them!!!

jet-black

I spent roughly £200 on just the following parts, I did all the work myself

Cambelt kit
Tensioner Damper
Thermostat
Water pump
Oil filter
3 litres of coolant
5 litres of Oil
Air filter
Cambelt tool kit (Just locking pin basically)

The pulley/tensioner/water pump in parts should be getting on to the £100 mark so £200 roughly for labour and i know machanics that can change those to 2-3 hours so they are charging a fair amount per hour!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise