Can't trust dealers - need to ask here

cupra_tdi

Hi

I want to do a service on my car - Cupra TDI Ibiza.

I'm a girl, so I'm not entirely clued up. I phone SEAT, and looked on the internet, and it just confuses me - the local dealer seems to know little about Cupras and is totally unhelpful.

I need a shopping list

- Oil (what type please, and how many litres - it's not on LongLife)
- Oil filter (same as any other PD engined Ibiza?)
- Air filter (same as any other Ibiza, or is it dimensionally specific to the Cupra?)
- Gearbox oil (does this need doing? 42,000 miles on the car)
- Brake fluid - what type? (the fluid boils after a while, they fade easily, so it needs to change)

Erm, is there anything else that I could renew while I'm at it?

Also, if you know off the top of your head, could you stick down the prices for these parts.

Cheers

cupra_tdi

West Wales. I serviced my Focus RS before, so I will do the Cupra. Just need to know the technicalities.

Also, is there anything stupid on the Cupras. For example, on my old 182, the sump plug was not a bolt with a conventional head, but it had a square hole. I didn't have a tool to remove that.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I need a shopping list

- Oil (what type please, and how many litres - it's not on LongLife)
- Oil filter (same as any other PD engined Ibiza?)
- Air filter (same as any other Ibiza, or is it dimensionally specific to the Cupra?)
- Gearbox oil (does this need doing? 42,000 miles on the car)
- Brake fluid - what type? (the fluid boils after a while, they fade easily, so it needs to change)

Erm, is there anything else that I could renew while I'm at it?

The Cupra needs VW506.01 oil even though it's not on a variable length servicing scheme, however don't be too upset if they use VW507.00 oil as it's backwards compatible.

From what I've seen the oil and air filters are the same for both the PD130 and PD160 engines so you just need to make sure you get the right ones.

No idea about the gearbox oil...

Brake fluid is normally done every two years and from memory you need DOT4.

As to anything else... You probably should replace the pollen and fuel filters if you've done that mileage and don't know when they were last done.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
right.

you'll need:

parts
oil - vw spec oil - 506.01 or 507.00, you'll use about 4.5 litres but get a 5 litre jug incase.
oil filter - an '074' filter is the one you'll need, the cupra is the only mk4 ibiza with an '074' which is the longer thinner filter as oppose the the '071' - a short fat one.
a sump plug - a 19mm bolt
pollen filter - rectangular shaped white filter
air filter a small square shaped filter with a corner cut off (ask a local parts factor for these filters and they'll supply them with ease, all you'll need is the reg of you car)

tools
phillips screw driver - for the air box to get the air filter out
t20 torx screwdriver - to remove the tray under the dash to gain access to the pollen filter
either a 36mm socket to remove the oil filter or you might need a special filter wrench (vw supplied only)
t25 torx to remove the undertray
19mm spanner to remove the sump plug

please feel free to ask any questions, i've serviced 100s of ibizas but i cant remember all the details off the top of my head.

Last edited:

cupra_tdi

Hey cheers guys.

Can I ask - in the link, what is that oil extractor thing doing? I've never seen one before LOL.

Thanks for the quick replies. Might do it tomorrow.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
It's a Pela Pump. It basically sucks out the oil through the dipstick tube rather than making you drain it out the bottom of the sump. I have one now and it's a fantastic bit of kit if you don't have the facilities to be able to drain it in the normal way.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.