CD Player Problem.

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
I recently tried installing a new CD player into my mk2 Ibiza but have hit a problem...

Firstly the guy in halfords said i didn't need an adapter cable, he said it plugs straight it. It doesn't. Does anyone know what adapter cable i need for a Kenwood cd player? I have old adapters but i think it was from my old Accord. They fit but will the system blow if i try them?

Also, The stock radio for the ibiza has a protuding power connector. The Kenwood CD player's power connecter is inside the player, kind of like the cig lighter in a car. (hope that makes sence) I think it needs an adapter. Does anyone know where i can get one from?

I would be extremly grateful if anyone who has replaced the standard radio with a cd player could let me know how they got on. Did it just fit straight in? What brand player do you have?

Cheers for the help guys.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
I have a JVC headunit. I needed a harness adapter and and aerial adapter when i fitted it because the car had the standard radio in.

I dont have part numbers or anything as i got it dont at halfords. But you will need the harness adapter, if you dont when you save radio stations saved in memory in the cd player and you switch the car off, you lose all of them from memory.

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
As Cruiser87 said, you'll need an aerial adaptor. The cable you've mentioned with the cigarette style connector is actually the aerial and you can buy the adaptor from Halfords for a couple of quid.

The ISO plug (square one with multiple wires) that carries the power and speaker signals will plug into your new headunit but you'll find that the radio station memory is lost. This is because the switched and constant +12v lines are the wrong way round in the seat connector.

Your options are to buy a harness adaptor or to swap the wires round. When I tried this I found they were very hard to get out of the connector so I just cut both wires (the yellow and the red) and used bullet connectors to swap them round.

Job done!

ScotlandToIbiza

Ibiza 1.4 Mk2
Apr 23, 2007
Ayrshire
my radio doesnt work any idea what to check?? theres a lead in the boot coming out from the carpet its like a circle shape not connected to anything.

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
You should be able to swap the wires coming out of the back of the head unit around. If i remember its the yellow and red ones that you swop round.

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
My Kenwood headunit plugged into my MK2 using only the supplied Kenwood lead and an aerial adaptor.

So the thing that "plugs in" like a cig lighter isn't the power? What's the power cable? Is it one of the endless wires that plug into the connector block?

Just found the Kenwood adaptors so now it plugs in. Thank god for that. lol

Just need the ariel adaptor now.

Cheers for all the help.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Yeah the fag lighter style one is the aerial adaptor, the power and speaker wires go through the one with 2 plugs and all the wires in between. If the CDs restart or it loses its radio stations, pull it out and swap the red and yellow wires round.

Aerial adaptors can be got from loads of places, Halfords charge about £3.99 but I'm sure Wilco/CT/McGanns would be cheaper.

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Just tested the unit. CDs work perfectly.

One thing i'm a little confused about though... What's the blue connector? At the minute it's not being used. Does it need to be used for anything?

Cheers for the help. Once again you save the day. :clap: ;) lol(was looking for a super hero icon but couldn't find one... lol)

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
blue = remote power ( ie for power antenna / amplifier )

Cheers. I can't see anywhere to plug this into the new CD player. Is it ok to leave this out? I don't have an amp but i think the ariel/ antenna is powered... Sorry guys. Am a complete novice when it comes to electrics :redface:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Sorry to thread-jack but i have a wire in my boot that isnt plugged into anything.

It comes out from the passenger side, under the rear speaker grille and comes out beside the seat belt mechanism thing, anyone know what this could be??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members