chipped cupra

morgus

Nov 7, 2007
hi everyone , new cupra owner and new poster. been driving sensible estates and rotting heaps for the last 15 years . last car was a deisil cavalier which got wiped out in a high speed crash - they were on the wrong side of the road doing 85. Anyway a close brush with the grim reaper and my children growing up and leaving the nest led to the urge to make driving a bit more fun . The itch wouldn't go away so I eventually gave in and shelled out on an 04 cupra tdi . Bloody lovely machine and lots of fun to drive , I've never felt so safe in a car ,but then you'd know all that .
Anyway took it to my Seat garage today to get the belt changed as it's just passed 60 000 - the guys there say it's been chipped .
No problem there but what in layman's language does it mean and how much more power is under the bonnet ?

be patient , I'm learning .

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
If it is a half decent remap then expect it to be around 180-190 bhp. Be wary about the clutch too if it hasnt been changed as they are a weak point on the TDI.

Welcome to the site by the way!

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
That's not really conclusive evidence of a remap or chip. My car spins in 3rd as standard and i've altered the exhaust and airbox, but neither is a big enough mod to gain much power.
sounds like he's guessing off the back of other mods.
I'd also want to know why he's wheelspinning customers cars?

morgus

Nov 7, 2007
That's not really conclusive evidence of a remap or chip. My car spins in 3rd as standard and i've altered the exhaust and airbox, but neither is a big enough mod to gain much power.

is there any visual clue if a car's been re mapped ?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
If the car has been tuned it's most likely to have been a remap.
This is normally done through the OBD port that allows a computer to read the on board computer (ECU). Tuners are able to read a cars original file (better known as a map) and alter the settings to make the car perform better, then load it back on to the ECU.
There is no removal of anything except a small piece of plastic trim which is easily replaced (you can find it in the tray area below the ashtray right at the back).
The ECU is untouched physically so there should be no evidence of any tampering, and most remap companys swear blind that the software is invisible to the dealers, so in theory they should have no idea if it's mapped or not, but may guess that it is from how it drives.
If they tell you it is after plugging the computer into the car, then please let us know.
;)

morgus

Nov 7, 2007
If the car has been tuned it's most likely to have been a remap.
This is normally done through the OBD port that allows a computer to read the on board computer (ECU). Tuners are able to read a cars original file (better known as a map) and alter the settings to make the car perform better, then load it back on to the ECU.
There is no removal of anything except a small piece of plastic trim which is easily replaced (you can find it in the tray area below the ashtray right at the back).
The ECU is untouched physically so there should be no evidence of any tampering, and most remap companys swear blind that the software is invisible to the dealers, so in theory they should have no idea if it's mapped or not, but may guess that it is from how it drives.
If they tell you it is after plugging the computer into the car, then please let us know.
;)

cheers butt - sensing a bit of a steep learning curve here

John-Cupra_TDI

Aug 27, 2007
Near Glasgow

As you said mate, sounds like there just guessing becasue they see other mods. A wouldn't be happy with the wheel spinning bit.[:@]

How easy is it to tell if the clutch has been changed? For example would the dealers be able to tell by just putting the car up on ramps or would you only know if you took it apart?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
hi everyone , new cupra owner and new poster. been driving sensible estates and rotting heaps for the last 15 years . last car was a deisil cavalier which got wiped out in a high speed crash - they were on the wrong side of the road doing 85. Anyway a close brush with the grim reaper and my children growing up and leaving the nest led to the urge to make driving a bit more fun . The itch wouldn't go away so I eventually gave in and shelled out on an 04 cupra tdi . Bloody lovely machine and lots of fun to drive , I've never felt so safe in a car ,but then you'd know all that .
Anyway took it to my Seat garage today to get the belt changed as it's just passed 60 000 - the guys there say it's been chipped .
No problem there but what in layman's language does it mean and how much more power is under the bonnet ?

be patient , I'm learning .

I would expect they are just guessing, because of the other mods.
It's easy to get wheelspin in most cars, let alone a high powered hatch. OK maybe not in a diesel Cavalier...:whistle:

That said, if someone has fitted an induction kit and exhaust, there's a good chance they would have remapped it too.
Ways to tell would include:
1) Getting it on a rolling road - SCN often organise RR days so have a look and come along to the next one!
2) Logging turbo boost levels (using vag-com) so see if they are higher than standard.
3) Finding someone else with a standard Cupra TDI and comparing on the road...

Welcome to the site anyway. Once you get sucked in here you'll be wanting to remap it anyway, so someone could have saved you the cash :D

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham

Is that in the dry? !:lol:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
It could be poor tyres the wheel spinning bit. My p6000's were terrible for it, since the GDS3s it is much harder to do so.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
It could be poor tyres the wheel spinning bit. My p6000's were terrible for it, since the GDS3s it is much harder to do so.
Exactly. mine would easily spin in 3rd in standard form on the p6000's but i struggle to make it spin in 2nd now with a remap on Toyo T1-Rs. Even in the wet the grip is fantastic.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Your not trying hard enough then! If truth be told I only really get 3rd spinning when I am coming off a roundabout....

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I had it a few times coming from a 30 zone into a national speed limit. Just planted my foot and they span. Never happens with the new tyres.
I can do it coming off roundabouts but thats down to the weight shift on the cars front end.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members