Clicking / Knocking on Skoda Rapid Spaceback steering

sandancer

May 20, 2014
I bought a 66 plate Rapid Spaceback SE Tech last October with 6.5k miles and a full dealer service history, which I'm led to believe uses the same running gear as a Seat Toledo - please feel free to correct me and point me in the right direction if I'm wrong. Anyway back to issues I'm having. Everything was fine with it up until December last year when I started to get a feint click when turning the steering wheel side to side (at about 11 o'clock & 1 o'clock positions) which steadily got worse and louder over the next couple of months. I got in touch with the garage I bought it from (who have been brilliant) and they tried a few things to solve it - greased the universal joints in the column, then replaced the lower column and universal joints and now they have replaced the complete column which seemed to sort it but having been out in the car yesterday & today ( it doesn't get a lot of use) i've noticed the feint clicking noise is back, albeit not all the time but definitely there every now and then but without any sort of pattern.

If anyone has had the same issues or has any suggestions what it could be, I'm all ears

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
You're better off on Briskoda. I've been on both since 2013 and there has never been any interest at all in the Toledo Mk4 over here.
And its a cheap car when all's said and done. Although the build quality clearly improved over the years, it rattles and creaks and whistles from brand new - well, both of mine have. (a 14 plate and a 67)

sandancer

May 20, 2014
You're better off on Briskoda. I've been on both since 2013 and there has never been any interest at all in the Toledo Mk4 over here.
And its a cheap car when all's said and done. Although the build quality clearly improved over the years, it rattles and creaks and whistles from brand new - well, both of mine have. (a 14 plate and a 67)
I posted on Briskoda at the same time as I posted here - like yourself I've been in both for years but thought a double pronged attack would yield more results.
As for the car, the noise has only just started and I'm curious to find out what it is

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
One of my Toledos had an occasional steering wheel click. It went away, unlike the creak from the front left corner, another of those manufacturing issues the dealers couldn't ever solve, like the poor window and door seals, badly fitted hatchback, doors that filled with water, zero lumbar support, harsh suspension, poor steering etc. But, you know, a family size car for £13k new (second one was only 12!). I didn't bother myself to improve it at that price.
Luckily, yours is 5 years into production and Skoda had eventually got 95% of the faults engineered out by then.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.