Clutches on 2.0 FR TSI / 2.0 Cupra

Apr 25, 2019
Hey All,

Having had my 130i stolen and written off Im looking for a replacement and have been looking at various VAG offerings including Seat Leon Mk 2 models, both the manual 2.0 FR TSI from around 2010, and the manual 2.0 Cupra from around 2008. Because I'm a bit of a child at heart I was looking at tuning possibilities and (having already read through the excellent info both here and over at R-Tech Performance) I've got a question about clutches.

I was planning on a stage 1 tune for the 2.0 TSI which would push the torque up close to 300lbft. Does anyone have experience of using the stock clutch on these cars with this level of tune, or is there an accepted 'safe' torque limit? What I was finding with looking at Golf / Scirocco variants was that the clutch would be toast fairly soon after the stage 1 remap (these engines seem to throw out a lot of torque!).

I found a few posts talking about the 2.0 TSI and Cupra using a stronger clutch than their VAG counterparts but couldn't find anything concrete, and Im having difficulty tracking down the part numbers myself.

Any insight very gratefully received!

Edit: Edited for crimes against English

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi, I've had a 2012 FR TDI (Stage 1) and currently got a 2011 Cupra (Stage 2+). I think the important thing to remember about clutch ratings is that your not applying 300lbs of torque to the clutch all the time. I stayed on my stock Cupra clutch through Stages 1 and 2. It only started to slip when outside the torque band of 2+. But it would hold up till that point (because it was a healthy clutch). If you race off every set of lights foot to the floor, chances are the stock clutch will wear quicker. But generally like any mechanical component, if driven right and treated right I would have thought it'd be good through at least Stage 1.

Reactions: Pete_W
Apr 25, 2019
I'm trying to be sensible and just get something cheap to run with a small petrol engine. I really am trying.

Yeah this sensible thing really isn't going to happen is it....

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'm trying to be sensible and just get something cheap to run with a small petrol engine. I really am trying.

Yeah this sensible thing really isn't going to happen is it....

I find if you buy something you aren't happy with, you end up selling it for a loss and buying the thing you wanted in the first place!

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
I doubt you would hit 300lb/ft from a stage 1 remap on the TSI engine (non-cupra), probably more around 270. A remap does bring the car alive though and depending on previous clutch usage if it starts to get hot then it will slip or pulling higher gears 4th/5th.