colour coding rub strips and tinted headlight covers

michaelg1001

B5 S4 Avant
Jun 24, 2008
Sheffield
hey im thinking about colur coding my rub strips on the doors and bumpers, since im a student and im tight getting them done proffesionally is out of the window, and il do them myself. which is the easiest way to paint them? mask the side of the car off or take them off to paint?

also i quite like the idea of tinting my headlight protectors (i may of had a little inspiration off here) whats the best way to do them and how dark to have them? cos iv just got standard bulbs atm and cant see a HID kit on the horizon anytime soon

cheers

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I've heard, but cannot confirm, the strips are glued on and may well snap or damage when you try to remove them. Best Bet would be to mask and spray while still on the car
otherwise you're looking at a new set from the dealer then spraying them before fitting.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've heard, but cannot confirm, the strips are glued on and may well snap or damage when you try to remove them. Best Bet would be to mask and spray while still on the car
otherwise you're looking at a new set from the dealer then spraying them before fitting.

I removed the bump strips off my old Cavalier, and they had a metal reinforcement inside them that got completely screwed as it was taken off. There was no way they were going back on!!

But I do like the look of a car without bump strips, might be an easier option rather than trying to colour code them? You'd still have to do the bumper strips though.

Don't forget, even the best colour in the world won't get a perfect match, as you're trying to match painted plastic to painted metal.

Any tint on your headlight protectors would probably be an instant MOT failure. I did use lens tinting spray for my rear light clusters (again on that old shed of a Cavalier), and it did work quite well. If you do it fine enough you can control how dark to go with how many layers you do. I can't really say how dark is ok, because my personal preference for headlights is 'as bright as possible'!!

1.9...stefan

HYBRID???
Aug 21, 2008
grimsby
tinted headlight covers are a defo nono on standard bulbs, trust me ive tried it, get hids and do it

side strips are glued on and are about £80 for a full set so id just mask the whole car off, exaggeration, and do it that way

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
interesting because I thinking of doing the same thing however one of the side strips has been put on upside down so will need removing- is it not a case of just gluing it back on?

Tolly

Feb 5, 2009
Leeds
If the side strips are just glued can they not be removed and left off, or are there holes behind them??????

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.