Constant Exhaust Light, HELP

smithyjames

I've had my FR for a couple of weeks, its spent time a Seat for a few things.

The latest is the exhaust light keeps coming on, SG Petch Durham told me there wasnt a fault so turned it off. It came on again today and they told me that its a pretty big fault with 56 fr's and it will take approx 5 hours to fix.

Apparently thats what also makes the ticking noise under the bonnet (only when idling).

I was wondering whether anyone else has had similar problems?

I bought this car from Black Horse so its just over 3 years old, and i have a 1 year warranty with them. It seems ridiculous that so much have gone wrong in a short space of time. SG Petch have put forward a request for the fault to be rectified at Seats expense as i am worried my warranty wont cover it and it sounds like a big job!

Cheers!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
By exhaust I assume you mean DPF? What kind of driving are you doing? Town (ie, stopping and starting), motorway, boy racing???

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
looking at your profile you have a TFSI - i'm not aware of any issues with the exhaust on those ..

only thing i can think of is the emissions / gas temp sensors - both are easy to replace (30 mins work - not 5 hours!)

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Do they mean the fuel pump wearing the camshaft? Thats the only thing that comes to mind. But you would expect a fuel pressure code.

smithyjames

Thanks for the info, just to make it clearer:

Its the 'emissions control system' light that came on solidly, the first time was during a trip from Nottingham to Durham on the M1 and the second time was the day after i got it back from Seat just driving it around Durham.

They said (after charging me £75) that no errors were reported when they tested it and turned it off. However, when i got it back today apparently a series of errors were identified and a recall had been issued for the fault. It got the ECU software update last week.

Does it sound to you guys like they know what they are talking about? They said it could take a couple of days to find out from Seat whether they will pay for it otherwise i guess i'll be footing the bill.

Thanks for your help!

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Sounds like it could be a sensor problem, which is an easy fix. I would get it vagcom,d and see for yourself what fault codes its throwing up.

smithyjames

Kevs FR you were spot on!

Apparently its a new fault resulting from 'inadequate hardness of the input camshaft, the action of the high pressure fuel pump may cause wear of the cam'

SG Petch are trying to get it repaired for free as 'goodwill' as the car is 3 months out of set warranty, which i feel is a bit unfair as the fault was released on the 28th Jan.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I thought it must have been that. Just out of interest how many miles has your car done? Also did you say there is a recall? as mine is in warranty till 1st march

smithyjames

Its just done 50k. I don't know much about the actual fault only that its TPI specific (of that makes sense) and the bulletin was only issued on the 28th Jan. The repair involves checking the camshaft for wear, if so replacing both the fuel pump and shaft, if not just the shaft gets replaced. (If there's a way i could upload the documents as i got the garage to give me a copy)
I also reported the problem seen by some that the cam belt appears to squeal when the engine is cold and a general ticking noise when idling which is all apparently due to the above fault.

SO at the moment it sounds like im driving a bag of nails and have 150 miles back to Nottingham tomorrow.

Cheers for all the help, hopefully it will be useful to some others before they're out of warranty!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise