Courtesy Car Question - Your experiences ??

philameena

Just booked my leon in for it's 30K service.
Having managed to find a date where they had a courtesy car available, I was told to phone up the day before to get the courtesy cars details for my insurance.

I thought this was a bit odd (I'm fully comp and never had to do anything insurance-wise when collecting a CC before) but didn't give it much more thought.

Later I was telling a mate and he reckons that it is because the dealer isn't covering it's courtesy cars on it's insurance and will expect me to add the CC for a day onto my fully comp. He reckons this'll cost me about £25+

Is this right?
Like I said, I've been to previous dealers and have never had to go through this to get a 'courtesy' car.
If it's true I'm a bit miffed as it would be cheaper for me to get taxis.

I just wondered if this is unusual or the norm before I phone the dealer back and cancel the CC (or maybe cancel the service and find a dealer with a genuinely free CC)

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
Just booked my leon in for it's 30K service.
Having managed to find a date where they had a courtesy car available, I was told to phone up the day before to get the courtesy cars details for my insurance.

I thought this was a bit odd (I'm fully comp and never had to do anything insurance-wise when collecting a CC before) but didn't give it much more thought.

Later I was telling a mate and he reckons that it is because the dealer isn't covering it's courtesy cars on it's insurance and will expect me to add the CC for a day onto my fully comp. He reckons this'll cost me about £25+

Is this right?
Like I said, I've been to previous dealers and have never had to go through this to get a 'courtesy' car.
If it's true I'm a bit miffed as it would be cheaper for me to get taxis.

I just wondered if this is unusual or the norm before I phone the dealer back and cancel the CC (or maybe cancel the service and find a dealer with a genuinely free CC)
I was given a choice when I last had a courtesy car from a Stealer, either I put the car on my insurance or paid £7 for it on their insurance which had a ridiculously high excess on it (a couple of grand springs to mind)

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
seems ridiculous to have to insure yourself on a courtesy car but if you do £25 would be very steep!

It cost me £18 to insure myself on my focus for 2 weeks after I had bought my LCR.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
dealer over here gets your details and phones your insurance company and asks for a temporary cover car. In other words they cover your car while its in and you cover their car while its in your hands.
My Insurers luckily dont charge for admin work.

Matt Cupra R

Jan 13, 2006
Berkshire
Camberley make you sort your own insurance, which my insurer was happy to do, but I am sure it wasn't as much as 25quid. More like 12 from memory.

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Used to work for a big insurance company mate, this happens a lot,
very few dealers seem to cover the car they give you,
my local SEAT dealer does not, neither does my local VW, but 25 quid seems high,
usually 10 admin and say a 5er for the insrance for a day!
Any more than 20 i say its a bit expensive!

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I had a courtesy car from my dealer last week. For the first time ever I had to show them my Drivers Licence which they took away into another room for some reason and returned it a few minutes later. I then had to sign a disclaimer/liability form to say I was liable for any motoring offences incurred. The form said that I was covered on the dealers insurance with a £500 excess in force.

gus1690

Jan 21, 2007
Whitehaven
well my local dealer doesn't charge me anything, just throws me the keys. That's prob because they always seem to give me a T reg toledo with 100k on the clock and no brakes!

stuart86

Mar 14, 2006
West London
www.britishmods.com
when i was with vw i made a complaint

they wanted to charge me to use the car and insurnace etc

i asked to speak with a manager and promptly told them i was paying enough for the service and that they WILL give me a CC free of charge

it worked

kerrbryan

Sep 30, 2005
Ayrshire, Scotland
Seems to be the norm nowadays. Not so much off a courtsey car when you have to change your insurance to cover their car. I had to do it 5 or 6 times when my leon was ill when she was just born and the stealer couldnt cure the faults! So 5 or 6 times 17 quid admin fee each time, adds up. Kicked up that much, got it all back.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
prob to photcopy it for security reasons

I figured it was something like that. Mind you, they did give me an 07 reg Leon with 3000 miles on the clock in return. Not a bad swap.

I was on edge all day until I had handed the keys back – thinking about that £500 excess.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
White Dove tried this with me when mine was in fro warranty work, I told them no way was I paying for it or risking my NCD on a hire car, so in the end they paid for the insurance and a £0 excess.
I was going through Seat UK at the time as I let them deal with my rear leak situation so may have helped. (see my post on the matter)

Oh and I had a brand new Vectra SRI with Sat Nav and 19" Rims, all I had to sign for was that the rear parcel shelf was there when I brought it back :blink:

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
My old insurance policy (with Zurich) said something along the lines of '...covers all named drivers on any vehicle supplied while this vehicle is being serviced or repaired' so the dealer didn't ask any questions, just handed over the keys to a newish Toledo (and left me spending the day trying to stop myself reversing it into a wall to improve the design of the back end!!)

My new policy doesn't say anything like that, so I guess I'll be going with the dealer's crazy excess next time? Oh well, switching to the AA saved me £350 this year so I can't complain really!

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
i never had any bother (other than having to wait over a month to actually get a courtesy car!)

I just dropped my car off at the dealers and picked up the keys for the courtesy car at the same time.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.