CUPRA 300 coming next year

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
I am also thinking of a CUPRA in the (not so) near future and I personally think 4wd would be a nice OPTION, but an option, I know the front diffs are getting better and better so I think this weight could be saved.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
I understand that the next RenaultSport Megane may be 4wd. Time will tell with the Cupra, but I can't really see it adding much unless they produce a 400 hp monster, but even then I think it would lose the spot on set up of the Cupra. I find the diff on the Cupra very effective. You can really feel it pulling you out of corners, where a 4wd would usually be an understeery nightmare and RWD without a real LSD would possibly catch you with your pants down.

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
Oh yeah, just looked and seen that it is still available, I am sure it wasnt last time I looked. Nearly £38k tho to get to same spec as a Leon is likely to have and I am sure the Leon Cupra 300 would come in less than that, will have to wait and see.

List prices are one thing but you have to look at true cost of ownership. Discount available on both, cost the same to run, golf has a higher % residual value so at worst will probably cost the same as our hypothetical 4wd Cupra to own for several years. This applies whether you finance or pay cash.

ETA. It may end up being DSG only the same as the Golf. I seem to recall that there was an issue with fitting the manual box to the estate R which is why it only comes in DSG.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Will the 4wd system cut into the spare wheel well such that no spare will be supplied or fit? Never looked that closely at the Golf R tbh. If that's the case it's off my list. I think it ought to be a criminal offence not to have a spare wheel of some form. Punishable by castration.

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
My golf R does come with a space saver spare wheel. They all do.

The 4wd does reduce boot space quite considerably. I would estimate the boot floor is a good 6 inches higher.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
List prices are one thing but you have to look at true cost of ownership. Discount available on both, cost the same to run, golf has a higher % residual value so at worst will probably cost the same as our hypothetical 4wd Cupra to own for several years. This applies whether you finance or pay cash.

ETA. It may end up being DSG only the same as the Golf. I seem to recall that there was an issue with fitting the manual box to the estate R which is why it only comes in DSG.
Was there an issue or was it that about 80% of golf r sales were day so VW just decided it wasn't worth releasing a manual estate version?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

bretth1974

May 3, 2015

The 4wd does reduce boot space quite considerably. I would estimate the boot floor is a good 6 inches higher.
Although the golf had a bigger boot than the Leon, doesn't it?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

Tbh if its 'only' 300bhp I'll stick with the FWD 290. The extra cost of the 4wd, and if its dsg only, will count it out for me. The spec on the 290 we're just about to take delivery of puts the list price at £31k. If you add £1500 for dsg, plus (say) another £1.5-2k for the 4wd, and the extra as its an ST only, you are looking at £35k ish. I'm sure it'll be a great car, but for £35k I'd consider others.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Tbh if its 'only' 300bhp I'll stick with the FWD 290. The extra cost of the 4wd, and if its dsg only, will count it out for me. The spec on the 290 we're just about to take delivery of puts the list price at £31k. If you add £1500 for dsg, plus (say) another £1.5-2k for the 4wd, and the extra as its an ST only, you are looking at £35k ish. I'm sure it'll be a great car, but for £35k I'd consider others.
Yeah you are into nearly new 335d tourer xdrive prices at £35k..... Although I am sure you'll get £5k off through a broker.

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
Yeah you are into nearly new 335d tourer xdrive prices at £35k..... Although I am sure you'll get £5k off through a broker.

Wouldn't mind knowing where you are getting an xdrive 335d touring from for c£35k from? If we are talking about list prices?

In reality, hands up who paid list price for their car?

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Wouldn't mind knowing where you are getting an xdrive 335d touring from for c£35k from? If we are talking about list prices?

In reality, hands up who paid list price for their car?
No I am talking about nearly new which is why I said nearly new.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Sorry! My bad!

I read it as near to a new price, not nearly new :doh:

Was skim reading on my phone :ban:
Happens to me all the time!

Whole bunch on autotrader at the moment with 10m on the clock at £36k. The 3 series GT can often be picked up at even better prices

Cupra

May 14, 2016
Finland, Helsinki
Skoda got only Diesel 4x4 vRS. I personally do not believe that Seat will get 4x4 Cupra, it's just a big risk for VAG to play around Golf R territory. Also Audi S3 is in the line(new model will have 306 hp). VAG has always been know for creating segments for it products and it's hard to believe that would change this time.

after 290, you need to put out something new so 300 sounds ok. Probably get better interior material and new tech from other segments, update to external visuals. Hard to say.

If they came up with 4x4 it's still nice. Anyway 290 has proven already that 4x4 is not only way to have great car ;)

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.